• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video Game Guidebook Grading ?

14 posts in this topic

Hello fellow collectors,

whilst I am not into comic book collecting business ( I love chester brown, crumb, etc. but just read them:) ) I collect sealed retro video games and guidebooks.

VGA and UKG are grading my sealed video games and sealed lego stuff without any problems, but when it comes to unsealed strategy guides (f.e. http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Nintendo-Players-Strategy/dp/B000AMPXNM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1427742841&sr=8-8&keywords=zelda+a+link+to+the+past ) they just have no clue.

Now I thought maybe some comic book graders would be able to grade them, but I have no clue if they have restrictions and only grade comic books or something like that.

Does anyone have any idea where to grade this? Im from europe (germany) but would be able to send overseas as well. :)

Many thanks in advance,

Felix

Thank you, thunsicker. :)

I just left a message at PGX, CBCS and CGC. Hope they will come back to me. :)

Best of luck. I know others on here collect video games, but can't think who off the top of my head. If you find somewhere post back, it will be interesting to see. Also if anyone else asks we can point them in the right direction. :grin:

I've never submitted anything to PGX. Many comic collectors aren't fond of them. Though that has more to do with their image as a company that is less competent when it comes to detecting restoration. Which, in comic books, is a huge differentiator. Best of luck and thanks for the follow up.

PGX came back to me and said they grade video game guidebooks. :) Thanks for all your answers

Do you have any kind of tutorial here how to submit stuff to them?

PGX is a bunch of crooks if you believe the rumours.

Unfortunately CGC doesn't grade nintendo powers or strategy guides.

I don't think CBCS does either, but that's your best bet.

Best to just leave them raw then even bother with PGX in my opinion.

For the record I collect sealed stuff too.

good luck.

Thanks for the advice you two. Can you explain what exactly is wrong with PGX? Or hand me a thread where I can find some reviews about them? At least the communication service was ace. I did not know them before (or any other comic grading authority) and just find at least lots of ebay auctions where PGX graded stuff is listed.

CGA / VGA also sent me a message that they would grade unsealed strategy guides as long as they never came factory sealed. But as they have no clue about grading books at all I would prefer to skip them. :) Also they demand 40$+ for grading a single item as they put it in the usual acrylic casing like any video game / toy they grade.

Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if this ever became an acceptable thing to get graded? Could a strategy guide be passed off as a magazine perhaps? I know that I used to read them as I would a magazine.