• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ash vs. The Evil Dead on Starz (10/31/15)

141 posts in this topic

Anyone care to inform me of what movies I should look for to compliment this TV series?

Haven't watched the show yet, but...

Evil Dead was the most unsettling of the four movies, there wasn't as much chuckles, but an ominous tone that somewhat energized supernatural horror films at the time.

Evil Dead 2 is basically a remake of part 1 on giggle gas. Luckily, it becomes a wild ride as Bruce Campbell goes Jim Carrey with a lot of set pieces. Ash needed a villian to square off with though, as he went full hero mode. Feels like a nightmare gone beserk.

Army of Darkness is a watchable mess of cliches that certainly has moments and one-liners but collapses on it's seven-year-old self before the first 15 minutes. It feels like a ride you want to get back on, but cannot remember why. Too many flat jokes as well.

The Evil Dead remake is a return to form (as in the original) with a most welcome feminist twist (see Mad Max: Fury Road). It literally rains blood.

Out of four stars...

Evil Dead***

Evil Dead 2***

Army of Darkness**

The Evil Dead***

Enjoy!

I am liking this show. It`s fun.

Disclaimer I have never watched the movies.

Anyone care to inform me of what movies I should look for to compliment this TV series?

Evil Dead 2

Army of Darkness

Thanks. I will try to watch them this week.

They are the most enjoyable of the original trilogy. Especially with Army of Darkness, as at that point Bruce Campbell was in his full glory, knocking out the funny lines while also taking out Deadites.

:whee:

I was able to catch up with the show today. It's a great time, but I'm a little bummed out that there are no direct references to Army Of Darkness.

Ash time traveled (or dimension jumped) and saved an entire kingdom, it seems like he'd be telling those stories A LOT.

I was so happy to see the Evil Dead back. It was a little too hokey for me but I looked forward to every weekly episode.

Right now I am debating in my head if a feature film packed with goodness would have been better than a TV series.

On a side note, its was crazy to see RED instead of Green or Black blood splattered everywhere.

I read this article just now. pretty cool for fans of horror.

Freddy's glove makes an appearance in Ash vs. Evil Dead

Also, here's a link that explains a little history of the back and forth between Sam Raimi and, the late, Wes Craven.

http://evildead.wikia.com/wiki/Freddy_Krueger

On a related note, if you haven't read "Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash", do so. Both the original mini-series and the follow-up "Nightmare Warriors" were both well done.

Lee Majors & Ted Raimi Cast In Ash Vs. Evil Dead Season 2

STARZ has announced today that Lee Majors (Do You Believe) will play the role of Brock Williams, Ash’s father, and Ted Raimi (Xena: Warrior Princess, Spider-Man) will play the role of Ash’s childhood best friend, Chet Kaminski, in the STARZ Original series Ash vs Evil Dead. The series was recently renewed for a second season and will return in 2016.

Majors started his television career in The Big Valley, going on to The Men from Shiloh, to Owen Marshall Counselor at Law, to The Six Million Dollar Man, to The Fall Guy, to Tour of Duty, to Raven and countless television appearances on many series, specials, award shows and movies. He began his film career with Will Penny and Charlton Heston. Majors recently completed filming two movies Almosting It and Do You Believe. Majors will start filming on two feature films this summer, plus he has a lineup of several other feature films and television shows to be filmed in 2015/2016.

Executive producer Craig DiGregorio on this first look at the sophomore season:

"When you have a chain-saw hand, this is how you tap a keg. Unfortunately for Ash, the party is cut short when he must return home to continue the fight against evil."

ash-image-3-29.jpg

:whee:

I didn't realize Ash vs Evil Dead was supposed to be Army of Darkness 2. But legal issues interfered with the use of Army of Darkness -script content.

“Ash vs Evil Dead”: Why Doesn’t Ash Work At S-Mart?

S-Mart was one of the most memorable locations in the Evil Dead franchise as it was the starting and ending point to Army of Darkness, where Ash gets his trusty “boomstick” and other handy tools. During an interview we had with Raimi back in July, he explains the name change to Bloody Disgusting.

“Because of some licensing issues we no longer have the rights to use the name ‘S-Mart,’ and the same goes along for anything that came out of ‘Army of Darkness’,” Sam told us. “I’m not sure exactly who owns the rights, but we’ve made sure… even gone out of our way… to make sure that will not inhibit the fans’ enjoyment of the show.”

In fact, when we talked to producer Robert Tapert back in April, he eluded to this…

“’Army of Darkness’ doesn’t exist,” says Tapert before clarifying a bit. “Well, certainly Ash went through a bad experience, but we’re not really referencing it [on the show], specifics from that, but he certainly has that in his memory.”

:(

I hate when bickering like this goes on with a favorite franchise.

'Ash Vs. Evil Dead's Bruce Campbell Launches Make “Emmys Groovy” Campaign & Bid For Nomination

Aiming for an Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series nom, the bid for the man who played Ronald Reagan in the last installment of Fargo will see billboards like the image above going up next week around intersections like Sunset and Fairfax in Los Angeles to promote his near-iconic Ash Williams role in the Starz series. However, going a bit less traditional, the real blood and guts and laughs come in a fan-driven push on social media and digital paid advertising set to start tomorrow with four separate video ads.

“If there’s one thing that the 2016 campaign season has taught us, it’s that voters respond to a bold pitch,” said Starz EVP Communications Theano Apostolou of the genesis of the campaign. “You can’t really go wrong by getting out of the way and letting Bruce Campbell do what he does best… which is pitch Bruce Campbell. We think his chainsaw hand will help cut through all the noise.”

:wishluck:

New Ash Vs. Evil Dead Season 2 Image Released

Forweqt.png

Starz has released a new image from the upcoming season of Ash vs Evil Dead, featuring (from left to rigt) Ruby (Lucy Lawless), Ash (Bruce Campbell), Pablo (Ray Santiago), and Kelly (Dana DeLorenzo) standing together, preparing to face their next demonic challenger. The caption reads: "The Ghostbeaters are ready for Season 2. Hope Evil likes it rough."

The image is a bit perplexing because at the end of the first season Ruby revealed that she wrote the Necronomicon and unleashed evil upon the Earth. So, why is Ash and his sidekicks teaming up with her? Could it be that Ruby was actually possessed and is now cleansed of the evil spirit? Or, could it be that Ruby has unleashed an evil so powerful that she needs Ash's help in defeating it or getting in under control?

Season 2 of Ash vs Evil Dead will premiere later this year.