• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ash vs. The Evil Dead on Starz (10/31/15)

141 posts in this topic

Ash vs Evil Dead Star Denies Army of Darkness References

While the overall response to last year’s Ash vs Evil Dead season 1 from diehard franchise fans was generally very positive, it didn’t take long for many viewers to notice the fact that Army of Darkness – the third film in Sam Raimi’s celebrated Evil Dead trilogy – never received a direct reference within the show’s narrative. It was eventually revealed that the reason behind this odd omission was due to a legal issue with those who hold the rights to Army and the characters and storylines created specifically for that film.

Back in July, Ash vs Evil Dead producer Rob Tapert made statements during the Comic-Con festivities that seemed to pretty clearly state the aforementioned legal issue had been resolved, and that AvED season 2 was now allowed and ready to incorporate elements of Army Of Darkness into the show’s ongoing plot.

Unfortunately, it now appears that either Tapert spoke too soon on the matter, or his statements were simply misinterpreted at the time.

“I’ve been sort of putting that to bed. It was a random thing that Rob [Tapert] said, and you know how the internet is, if you see one sentence written, it’s real. I think Rob was more alluding to the fact that we’ve already taken stuff that would have been in Army of Darkness. He still time-travels before Army of Darkness. People have always asked, “Where is Army of Darkness?” Like, we don’t really need Army of Darkness. That was sort of our take on the whole thing. You’ve got to be careful referencing certain movies, because then you have to make deals with certain partners that might own those certain movies.”

Ash vs Evil Dead returns to Starz for season 2 on October 2, 2016.

Long interview, but with plenty of good discussion about the movie versus TV universes.

‘Ash vs. Evil Dead’ Season 2: Bruce Campbell, Lucy Lawless on How Continuity Is for Wimps

During a press conference, Bruce Campbell, Lucy Lawless and executive producer Rob Tapert talked about their fear of not living up to fan expectations, how much Sam Raimi is still able to be involved, the pressure to outdo the first season in the second season, why they think the show has gotten better in its storytelling, the incredible casting decision to bring on Lee Majors as Ash’s father, why Ash is not a good role model, how continuity is for wimps, and taking things to a whole new grotesque level.

You had tremendous ratings with the first season. How much of that do you think was just people really excited about this world coming back?

TAPERT: The fans drove those ratings, in the first season. When I look in the mirror and honestly ask, I don’t think we should have been that high. We certainly worked hard enough to do that, but at the end of the season, we certainly saw room for improvement. I think the second season supersedes what came before, at every level. So, I’m glad for the love that they showed and it’s always nice to be loved, but there was room for improvement.

LAWLESS: We hope they love us more, this season.

TAPERT: Yeah. If they were that happy, they’re going to be happier still. Our goal is always to please the audience.

CAMPBELL: We want to keep them from squirming in their seats. That’s why it’s a half-hour. As soon as you look at your watch, it’s over.

Is Ash a good role model?

LAWLESS: Not this season, he ain’t.

CAMPBELL: It’s dangerous for actors to be up on pedestals. No one should have ever put any of us – athletes, politicians, or anybody – up there. Nobody should be treated any better than anybody else because actors start to believe that , and they start to feel entitled and privileged. I’m sorry that we are put in a situation where we are viewed as role models. So, in my personal life, I try to get in trouble and make people think of me as not that guy, in order to deflect that an show them that I’m not a role model. I’ll punch a little kid in the face, just to prove to people that I’m not that guy.

NYCC: Starz's Ash Vs. Evil Dead Renewed For Third Season

Even though only the first episode of the second season has aired, so far, Starz announced (via Deadline) today at New York Comic Con that they have renewed Ash vs Evil Dead for a third season, and like the previous two seasons, it will consist of 10 half-hour episodes and debut next fall.

The news comes one day after the show's NYCC panel, which took place in the Hammerstein Ballroom and featured appearances from the Season 2 main cast: Bruce Campbell, Lucy Lawless, Dana DeLorenzo, Ray Santiago, Ted Raimi, and Lee Majors.

Very excited by that last episode- they actually got one of the original actresses from Evil Dead to reprise her role! This was a personal favorite episode from this season. Very well done.

I enjoyed that too! A fun series that doesn't take things too serious.

I laughed at the "branch banged" comment! lol