• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does wet cleaning work

40 posts in this topic

I simply cannot get my head around soaking a book in water to clean it. How do you dry it? Doesn't it have to be pressed flat and therefore won't evaporate and will mildew? Won't the size change? Anyone know how this works?

I was under the impression they where misting as well but was told from an other source that they have a bin of water with a tray that sits above the water. The book is then put on the tray and the lid of the bin is put on. They let the book sit for awhile thus it obtains some moisture and then they press it. This wouldn't clean the book but part of the pressing process.

When I had my Flash 105 restored in the early 90s, it was dis-assembled and each wrap was placed in a tray with a secret solution. When re-assembled, it looked great but when I opened it up around 15 years later, I didn't like the page quality. Had it slabbed and sold it.