• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 Original Art reproduction from comic book men

26 posts in this topic

Anyone catch the last episode of comic book men? It showcased some reproduction art that showed up in an estate sale in the 80's.

I would love to have something like these framed in my den. What would a commission run me on a page like this?

mcGbhVul.jpg wkQB3I3l.jpg

ccAlZUml.jpg

Saw that. As I recall they were not sure if it was a forgery attempt or not as it was copied down to the exact detail according to what they said on the show. Walt snapped it up anyway!

I guess a commission price would depend on who was doing the art... (shrug)

Saw that. As I recall they were not sure if it was a forgery attempt or not as it was copied down to the exact detail according to what they said on the show. Walt snapped it up anyway!

Didn't see the show, but given that the originals exist and can be viewed upon request at LoC (except for the cover), and also given the lack of any sort of printer's marks usually associated with production art, I'd be highly skeptical.

Didn't see the show, but given that the originals exist and can be viewed upon request at LoC (except for the cover), and also given the lack of any sort of printer's marks usually associated with production art, I'd be highly skeptical.

Any particular reason the cover art can't be seen?

Too fragil? Too valuable? Just curious. hm

I remember when that Library of Congress donation occurred, and many were trying to find out who made the anonymous donation.

I think the general opinion at that time was Marie Severin was the owner.

Because the cover wasn't donated. Only the story pages were donated. The cover still exists in someone's private collection.

They assumed it was a forgery attempt or just a fan work, either way the detail was exact enough for Walt "the lowball" Flanigan to dish out 700 bucks.

Because the cover wasn't donated. Only the story pages were donated. The cover still exists in someone's private collection.

It's probably hanging up in the double secret VIP Platinum member area in the metropolis comics back room.

I saw those pages on ebay like a year ago

It's not a forgery unless someone attempts to sell it as the original.

(thumbs u

Marie Severin?

hm

I never understood where that rumor started from. It actually wouldn't make sense timeline wise. The artwork was donated in the beginning of April 2008 (I believe April 3rd 2008 to be exact but don't hold me to it). Marie suffered a debilitating stroke in October of 2007. If "she" donated the work, it would have been her family that did so not her, since she was recovering from the effects of the stroke at that time, she wasn't in the shape to negotiate the donation of that kind of artwork.

I never understood where that rumor started from. It actually wouldn't make sense timeline wise. The artwork was donated in the beginning of April 2008 (I believe April 3rd 2008 to be exact but don't hold me to it). Marie suffered a debilitating stroke in October of 2007. If "she" donated the work, it would have been her family that did so not her, since she was recovering from the effects of the stroke at that time, she wasn't in the shape to negotiate the donation of that kind of artwork.

I went to see the art at the LOC during the first few months they had it. I asked the curator Sarah Duke if it was Marie Severin as I also though it was here because of her ties to Ditko (she was one of the few "old-timers" that still has regular contact with him) and the fact there are only a few comic pages in the Library and a few of them were drawn by Marie.

...I figured Marie donated her art together with the Ditko pages... But the lady told me she couldn't deny or confirm if it was Marie and to the best of her knowledge Marie had never donated any art to the museum...

But my fellow collectors with me thought she was blowing smoke up our arses. :insane:

She had also heard the story of Gil Kane and the stacks of disappearing art from the Marvel offices every time he visited to drop off his work :whistle:

Anyone catch the last episode of comic book men? It showcased some reproduction art that showed up in an estate sale in the 80's.

I would love to have something like these framed in my den. What would a commission run me on a page like this?

ccAlZUml.jpg

It's on eBay now for 2500 ;) not a bad markup from 700

ccAlZUml.jpg

It's on eBay now for 2500 ;) not a bad markup from 700

Glad my $6.28 eBay Bucks came in today!!!

If they didn't sell for $100 a page they won't sell for the inflated price. You'll be seeing those on ebay for years now.

Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it

If they didn't sell for $100 a page they won't sell for the inflated price. You'll be seeing those on ebay for years now.

Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it

LINK

They do have a lot more exposure than they did last year, and I'm sure they'd take a $1000 offer.