• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAGE COUNTING 101!

40 posts in this topic

Try collecting Katy Keene :facepalm: Even the "big" on-line shop had missing pages. At least they returned the book but it is scary as even ebay seller could deny it. While you can find great deals on ebay it is really a gamble. I had to settle on a CGC book for one book as the other two ones I got had missing pages.

Personally, the only dealer I know that marked all his books was Terry comics. They always denoted missing pages or clipped coupons, etc. on the back of the boards. I usually pick those up because they are cheap.

Too true. If there's even a teensy possibility that there paper dolls included in a book you GOTTA count them pages, either buying or selling,

Quite a number of 50's Atlas books such as Patsy and Hedy had an occasional paper doll page, the other main offender is Sugar and Spike.

Page Count Those Sugar And Spikes!

This is a simple process that everyone should take part of regardless if you are a buyer or a seller. For most of the late GA to current moderns there are 8 pages from the splash page to the centerfold of the comic and then you inspect the staples and any wear and again 8 pages to the end of the book. If it is a larger GA format just look up the book in GCD and find out the spreads (4 pages on each spread, 2 pages on a flipped page to count to the center of the book). THIS PRACTICE UNCOVERS SO, SO MUCH!

Got a clipped coupon? It comes up the in the page count...

Got a clipped MVS? It comes up the in the page count...

Got a loose centerfold? It comes up the in the page count...

Got rusty staples? It comes up the in the page count...

Got PQ issues - Cream, Tan, Brown, Brittle? It comes up the in the page count...

Got missing pages? It comes up the in the page count...

Got bizarre internal stains, rips or water stains? It comes up the in the page count...

If I might add one small thing that is best done during the page count -- sniff the pages -- mould/mildew is never your friend.

Page count on a regular book is easy, but what's the page count on a Marvel over-size? DC? Drop me some knowledge.

GCD is your friend!

Just look up the book and search the webpage for "pages".

(thumbs u

Yep, that's where I go when I don't get 8 pages on each side of the staples.

You do have to keep in mind that the page count given there includes the cover, so that "standard" 8-pages per half shows up as a 36 page issue ((16+2)*2 sides).

Page counting or checking the pages is one area I've had to get better about taking the time to do while going through the books I plan on selling. Especially, after missing a couple (which I made right with the seller).

Also, I wish more folks would disclose tanning (especially when its not evident when looking at the outside covers). I had one seller tell me he didn't treat it as a defect (maybe its just personal preference but I'd prefer it gets disclosed). To me, if the pages are burnt on the inside of the cover there eventually may be problems with brittle pages.

I am always amazed at the number of people that buy $20-$200 and up books from me at shows and don't even take them out of the bag.

I always offer to pull the book out, and 2 times out of 3 they decline. I actually had a guy that bought a $40 book off me last weekend tell me he was afraid he might damage it. C'mon, do you think the kid flipping through the spinner rack 45 years ago gave a hoot about damaging books.

I collect SA books, any time I am counting pages on an early one, especially FF's, I hold my breath when I get to the pinup page, similar for the Stan's soapbox MVS page on BA's

I did not ship them yet.

in fact, I gave it some thought and decided to write the buyer and give them the options:

I am writing to you as I have found something about my offer that was not known by me when I wrote it up. While I was packing your shipment, I noticed that the issue of Kull 24 has several pieces torn out inside that was not disclosed. Not because I was hiding the fact-- simply because I did not notice the problem until now. The parts that are taken out also impact some of the story line and dialogue. While they are not huge pieces-- they do make the book incomplete. I believe they impact 3 different pages. This particular book was not mine originally as I would not have done this to my own comic. I do not have a replacement to offer for this specific book.

I am writing and telling you about this in case it is a deal breaker for you. The last thing I want to do is send you a book that is not properly described. However you want to proceed is fine with me-- a full refund or I can just send the items as is or you can suggest another alternative.

Sorry for the mistake.

FYI ... This is a very tiny sale (4 books for $1.59 total).

Glad you did the right thing (thumbs u

I am always amazed at the number of people that buy $20-$200 and up books from me at shows and don't even take them out of the bag.

I always offer to pull the book out, and 2 times out of 3 they decline. I actually had a guy that bought a $40 book off me last weekend tell me he was afraid he might damage it. C'mon, do you think the kid flipping through the spinner rack 45 years ago gave a hoot about damaging books.

I collect SA books, any time I am counting pages on an early one, especially FF's, I hold my breath when I get to the pinup page, similar for the Stan's soapbox MVS page on BA's

I NEVER open the book up. I make the dealer do it. My paranoia was well placed when I looked at a four figure book about six months ago. The dealer took it out and the interiors were about to crumble as the edges were VERY brittle as a couple of pieces broke off.

Also, I wish more folks would disclose tanning (especially when its not evident when looking at the outside covers). I had one seller tell me he didn't treat it as a defect.

:sumo:

Torches_zps8ewlpi6z.jpg

i sold a coverless wrapless comic using a stock pick and when buyer complained I told him I didn't treat that as a defect.

I NEVER open the book up. I make the dealer do it. My paranoia was well placed when I looked at a four figure book about six months ago. The dealer took it out and the interiors were about to crumble as the edges were VERY brittle as a couple of pieces broke off.

+1

If the book is over $50, I usually have the store owner slide it out of the bag. I won't touch it until they open it and I see it is solid. Then I do my count/check for clippings.

Outside of the fact that it is good practice, I think it also sets a precedent with the dealer that you aren't an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

+1

If the book is over $50, I usually have the store owner slide it out of the bag. I won't touch it until they open it and I see it is solid. Then I do my count/check for clippings.

Outside of the fact that it is good practice, I think it also sets a precedent with the dealer that you aren't an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Of course I as the dealer am generally the one removing it from the bag. What I meant to say was that I am surprised at the majority of people who have no interest in examining the interior of comic books they are spending good money on, especially the ones that are trying to portray themselves as "heavy hitters".

+1

Of course I as the dealer am generally the one removing it from the bag. What I meant to say was that I am surprised at the majority of people who have no interest in examining the interior of comic books they are spending good money on, especially the ones that are trying to portray themselves as "heavy hitters".

At the end of a day at a con I am 100% exhausted.

I bet I get out of the tape/bag and page count close to 100–150 books at any given con.

I had the pleasure once of watching the ultimate pro page count before...

A top level CGC grader (that would rather remain anonymous) wanted to check out my GL 78 that was about a 9.4/9.2 that I picked up for $40 at a show. He popped it out of the bag, inspected it, page counted it and put it back into the bag in 30 seconds tops and the book took 0% damage. I was in awe, but I guess that the skills you pick up when you graded hundreds of books a day.

(worship)

I did not ship them yet.

in fact, I gave it some thought and decided to write the buyer and give them the options:

I am writing to you as I have found something about my offer that was not known by me when I wrote it up. While I was packing your shipment, I noticed that the issue of Kull 24 has several pieces torn out inside that was not disclosed. Not because I was hiding the fact-- simply because I did not notice the problem until now. The parts that are taken out also impact some of the story line and dialogue. While they are not huge pieces-- they do make the book incomplete. I believe they impact 3 different pages. This particular book was not mine originally as I would not have done this to my own comic. I do not have a replacement to offer for this specific book.

I am writing and telling you about this in case it is a deal breaker for you. The last thing I want to do is send you a book that is not properly described. However you want to proceed is fine with me-- a full refund or I can just send the items as is or you can suggest another alternative.

Sorry for the mistake.

FYI ... This is a very tiny sale (4 books for $1.59 total).

Glad you did the right thing (thumbs u

the buyer wrote back:

No worrys man, 4 books for 5 bucks, not worth the fuss over, just bought them to have, appreciate it tho :)

I bought an FF 3 at the 1977 Chicago Comicon and later found it had a missing pin up page. That was the last time I ever bought a GA, SA or BA book without first counting the pages.

I always add a sticker to the bag that denotes if anything is missing. Basic comics retailing.