• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early X-Men issues with hole punches.

9 posts in this topic

Howdy, I am new to the board and needing some help. I find myself collecting again after a 35 year hiatus.

I have some early X-Men that were hole-punched (don't worry, it wasn't me). They are in good condition with the obvious exceptions. Can someone give me a clue or an honest opinion on their collectability...and by extension value.

Any input is valued. Thanks in advance.

WP_20150405_15_53_49_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150405_15_54_04_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150405_15_54_17_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150405_15_54_27_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150405_15_54_39_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150405_15_54_51_Pro__highres.jpg

Here is some detail on the holes

WP_20150405_15_55_08_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150405_15_55_23_Pro__highres.jpg

best bet would probably be to sell them as a group of reader copies but I wouldn't expect getting a huge amount for them if you are trying to sell. Otherwise-- hang on to them as your own readers.

the hole punch really kills their value/collectibility. Can't see them grading better than 1.5, more likely 1.0

Technically speaking, hole punches yield a 1.0 grade, that's been the long standing concensus, as long as I can remember....

But I still think a collector would pay more than the 1.0 price b/c the books would otherwise mostly be around 4.5/5.0 and as such, they have more eye appeal than the typical, ragged 1.0 with heavy wear.

OTOH, they are solid $10 books, no collector could pass at that price, that's *realistically* what to expect if you want to sell them quickly.You can certainly get more if you wait, though.

#28 is also a hot book right now....but otherwise, if you want to sell them without waiting all that long, $10-$15 each is what you can expect to get....

Putting them together as one lot, with a starting bid at $49.99 (+$5 for boxed shipping) is what I'd do and realistically, what probably net you the most profit in relation to listing each individually,time involved with that approach.All it takes is 2 collectors who want decently presenting reader early SA X-Men to get $75 or more for the bunch...or at the very least, you'd get $50 in one shot.

Technically speaking, hole punches yield a 1.0 grade, that's been the long standing concensus, as long as I can remember....

But I still think a collector would pay more than the 1.0 price b/c the books would otherwise mostly be around 4.5/5.0 and as such, they have more eye appeal than the typical, ragged 1.0 with heavy wear.

OTOH, they are solid $10 books, no collector could pass at that price, that's *realistically* what to expect if you want to sell them quickly.You can certainly get more if you wait, though.

#28 is also a hot book right now....but otherwise, if you want to sell them without waiting all that long, $10-$15 each is what you can expect to get....

Putting them together as one lot, with a starting bid at $49.99 (+$5 for boxed shipping) is what I'd do and realistically, what probably net you the most profit in relation to listing each individually,time involved with that approach.All it takes is 2 collectors who want decently presenting reader early SA X-Men to get $75 or more for the bunch...or at the very least, you'd get $50 in one shot.

I am not sure what consensus you are referring too. It certainly isn't one held by cgc.

B6-5 photo B6-5.jpg

G6-3 photo G6-3.jpg