• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX in hot water?

107 posts in this topic

I'm sure CGC will be watching this carefully. Will they be willing to testify against PGX? If this case goes against PGX, what are the ramifications for CGC?

A principle of 3rd party grading is that it is the opinion you're paying for, no guarantees. If it is ruled that a company may be held accountable for a grade they assign, then it will be a whole new ballgame. People can get a grade from one company and submit to another, and if they get a downgrade, they can cry, "Foul!' CGC would not be immune to such shenanigans if the ruling goes against PGX. And as mentioned before, CGC may be subject to cases involving dissatisfaction with the grades they assign.

Also, if PGX goes under, it only mean a bigger piece of the pie for CGC's main competitor.

There was a PI who investigated this for the plaintiff. It appears the book was sold through an eBay account belonging to a PGX employee. I think there's more to this than just a pissed off buyer.

Where did you hear that?

:popcorn:

The PI called everyone with something to do with comics in my area.

I'm sure CGC will be watching this carefully. Will they be willing to testify against PGX? If this case goes against PGX, what are the ramifications for CGC?

A principle of 3rd party grading is that it is the opinion you're paying for, no guarantees. If it is ruled that a company may be held accountable for a grade they assign, then it will be a whole new ballgame. People can get a grade from one company and submit to another, and if they get a downgrade, they can cry, "Foul!' CGC would not be immune to such shenanigans if the ruling goes against PGX. And as mentioned before, CGC may be subject to cases involving dissatisfaction with the grades they assign.

Also, if PGX goes under, it only mean a bigger piece of the pie for CGC's main competitor.

I dont think the lawsuit will be about the grade received by pgx and cgc. I think the lawsuit is to expose that pgx allows their employees to sell graded books the employees themselves graded that were obviously bumped up in grade to increase sales price. Dont think this is about guaranteeing a grade. If his ruling goes against pgx, cgc has nothing to worry about because their employees arent allowed to sell cgc books.

There was a PI who investigated this for the plaintiff. It appears the book was sold through an eBay account belonging to a PGX employee. I think there's more to this than just a pissed off buyer.

Where did you hear that?

:popcorn:

The PI called everyone with something to do with comics in my area.

Uh-Oh.........

Where's that pic of DJbrady holding the AV #4 that's in a CGC slab at a con. Looking it over to see if he could later pass it off as a 9.6 in a PGX slab. And I think I do recall that hitting ebay. hmmm

I dont think the lawsuit will be about the grade received by pgx and cgc. I think the lawsuit is to expose that pgx allows their employees to sell graded books the employees themselves graded that were obviously bumped up in grade to increase sales price. Dont think this is about guaranteeing a grade. If his ruling goes against pgx, cgc has nothing to worry about because their employees arent allowed to sell cgc books.

This.

It's obvious that potential for insider favored grading is the only thing one could possibly sue for and it baffles me to see people thinking that CGC's grading could somehow be used as a standard for saying things are over-graded or not labeled restored, or anything of a similar nature. But then I've seen people post here that seem to think CGC's label numbers and label colors have legal authority of some kind. I don't know how anyone could think such things, let alone cling to them after being informed it ain't so, but some persist, nonetheless.

Perhaps a judge could rule that it's an inherent conflict of interest for an employee of the grading company to sell books, But beyond that I doubt any judge would rule that any specific comic was graded improperly. And, whether or not that's a valid legal question, a Judge is liable to ask the plaintiff why he isn't suing the company that gave him the lower grade instead of the one that give him the higher grade? And the fact that he isn't could easily be interpreted as an indication of an agenda which could further be interpreted as a abuse of process.

Short of some smoking gun evidence of collusion (in which the PGX employee made it clear that one standard was used for books he was selling and a different standard for others) it is a tough case to make in regard to grading integrity.

Anything else, actually everything else, is subjective. If anyone opened that can of worms in regard to any grading company, it would not be even a little bit difficult to provide examples of grades with which a reasonable person would disagree with PGX OR CGC. Nor would it be difficult to provide examples for either company in which things were graded differently done time and substantially different another time. So how would a verdict that something was misgraded possibly be a bad thing only for PGX?

Any verdict that a grading company was remiss because something was graded too low or too high and that impacted the price received by one seller or another -- that would be a bad thing for PGX in this lawsuit but it would also be a very bad precedent for both PGX and CGC.

There's a few variables on the book in question. The biggest impact on the downgrade is the book is signed by Stan on the front cover. So CGC does dock a book for it if it's to stay blue. We shall see though since the bigger problem is the PGX employees selling the book.