• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A call to arms; a very small fundraiser

53 posts in this topic

Last year, people here on the boards helped me raise $400 for a damaged drive-in theater. I owe a pass-it-on. I'll donate 20% off of any of my sales on my current thread (if anything ever sells.)

Last year, people here on the boards helped me raise $400 for a damaged drive-in theater. I owe a pass-it-on. I'll donate 20% off of any of my sales on my current thread (if anything ever sells.)
I just bought something there - I thought I was in this thread :lol:

Could you include a link to your sales thread, please? Thanks! (thumbs u

Hi people,

First of all, a Heeeee-ooooooooooooj thanks to Andy for pulling this whole thing together. It's humbling to have such confidence placed in me and our little group. I want to be sure you all note the word "our" in the last sentence. It's not my group even though I've sorta coordinated most of it. "Our" means that there's a bunch of collectors who come out to this banquet every year. In our earliest incarnation 20 years ago, we began very simply by just a bunch of war comics collectors who thought it would be cool to share a dinner together during a night of the Comic-Con. Some of the collectors present that first night were Chris Pedrin, Greg Pharis, Steve Fears, TheCollectron, AdamStrange, Miguel Rodriguez, Larry Curcio and a few others who I wish I'd stayed in touch with (anybody out there know where Larry is these days??). I think Pedrin was in touch with Heath and asked Heath if he'd like to join us (on our collective dime--pun intended). Heath was on board and then we discovered that Irv Novice was a guest of the Comic-Con, so I reached out to Novick and his wife Sylvia who ALSO attended that first night. All the collectors informally pooled our $$ to cover the expenses not only of our own meals but Heath and the Novick's as well.

The following year, we scored with Kubert and Heath in attendance. We jacked up the price to double the "cost" of dinner that year for all attendees so that their "collective dimes" would pay the dinner for Heath and Kubert as well as for Russ Heath's hotel bill (Kubert was technically a guest of the Comic-Con). I don't know this for sure, but I think the hotel underwriting was my idea and when we elected to do that, Greg Pharis (who is also a local San Diegan) and I created a joint checking account that was only accessible for withdrawal when both of us were present. We operated that account for the next 15 or so years together.

By the third year we also convinced Heath and Kubert to create a "jam-page" that we would reproduce for all attendees as a souvenir. I remember being lucky enough to be a fly on the wall at Wonder-Con while the two of them sat together and discussed what it would entail. Then they got to chatting about the old days of war comics creators while Kubert drew his contribution. In typical Heath form, he didn't do his drawing during the convention, but elected to grace it with his perfectionist flare at home. We subsequently auctioned the completed original off the night of the banquet and thus began the "self-propelling" fundraiser idea. From that night on, we took proceeds from the auction and kept it in the dual account to roll over for underwriting whoever the guest would be for the following year and we received some amazing art donations over the year from the guests and people in absentia all along the way.

Here's a list of the guests as best I can recall (these are approximate so if I'm remembering incorrectly and anybody sees something that needs fixing, let me know):

1995 Russ Heath and Irv Novick

1996 Mort Drucker, Russ Heath, and a brief appearance by Ric Estrada

1997 Joe Kubert Bob Haney, and Russ Heath (first art auction)

1998 John Severin, Ric Estrada, and Russ Heath

1999 Chuck Cuidera, Carmine Infantino, Bob Haney, and Russ Heath

2000 Sam Glanzman, Walt Simonson, Grey Morrow, Angelo Torres, Ric Estrada, and Russ Heath

2001 Dan Spiegle, Dîck Ayers, Russ Heath Sam Glanzman

2002 Irv Novick, Dîck Ayers, Sam Glanzman, Russ Heath, Ric Estrada, Bob Haney, and George Pratt,

2003 Ric Estrada and Russ Heath

2004 Thomas Yeates and Russ Heath

2005 Sergio Aragones and Russ Heath

2006 George Pratt and Carmine Infantino

2007 Romeo Tanghal and Russ Heath

2008 Russ Heath

2009-2011 no guests

2012 Heath

2013 Heath

2014 Heath

It's worth noting that over the years, we received some auction donations in absentia from amazing people including Kubert, George Evans, Henry Boltinoff, Irwin Hasen, Howard Chaykin, Frank Thorne, and especially Jerry Grandenetti.

For a few years, (2009-2011) we scaled things back, zeroed out the account (split all remaining funds between Sam Glanzman and Russ Heath as gifts from our organization) and ceased holding auctions. Most of the old guys were no longer alive or were not up to traveling anymore. We kept the banquets going but on an informal basis where just the collectors got together with no auctions. But Russ Heath somehow managed to show up for one of 'em and donated some ridiculously cool piece to an impromptu auction. We raised enough from that and donations by Neal Adams, Scott Shaw!, and Sergio Aragones to give some $$ to Russ and Sam AND keep some set aside in a new bank account (Greg Pharis had retired from it when we zeroed out the account) to revolve into the following year's sponsorship. So the auction/sponsorship was revived organically. For the last few years, we've sponsored Heath's stays. Likewise, for the last few years, we've given 1/4 of post-auction $$ directly to Russ Heath, 1/4 to Sam Glanzman, and kept 1/2 in the account so that we had something to work with for the following year.

This year, we have $1800.00 in the account (after we passed Sam and Russ each $900 last year right after the banquet). I have run this strategy by numerous attendees and each person seemed to agree that it was important to preserve an account for the following year, but it was of paramount importance to continue to gift some to Heath and Glanzman while they are still alive. I won't go into their specific situations, but they each live in circumstances that would make any of us agree that creators of their ilk--particularly ones who have been responsible for dozens, hundreds, or thousands(?) of hours of comics entertainment--deserve better.

Essentially, we've kept it alive in one form or another for the past 20 years. I think Russ has only missed about 3 of them. Recently, I've been posting our bank account numbers and AdamStrange was kind enough to volunteer to audit the account so that the $ transactions in and out of the account remains transparent (in so far as a tiny organization like us can be--I've done it this way to avoid the extra formalities of Uncle Sam that I'd rather not deal with).

Andy is doing a great thing. The $$ donated toward this go directly toward pulling Sam and Sue Glanzman out this year to Comic-Con. Again, if there is ANYTHING left over (after this fundraiser, the expenditures on travel accommodations for the Glanzmans, and after the banquet art auction), we'll pass 1/4 directly to Glanzman, 1/4 directly to Heath, and 1/2 stays in the account for next year for whoever we underwrite (that's what the current $1800 is from).

When I get a minute, I'm going to scan the art that Sergio Aragones JUST created for the banquet auction. It's a typical Sergio send-up.

I want to end by thanking Andy and the fine people who are putting out donations (and had the patience to read this long-winded post) of either $$ or material items on behalf of the group. ALL people are invited to attend if you happen to be out in San Diego during Comic-Con. We run the banquet each year on Thursday night of the con at Filippi's Pizza Grotto in Little Italy (north of downtown SD). The pizza is the best in San Diego and the company is even better. I hope that any of you who come to SD will contact me and attend. All attendees will have bidding rights in the auction and we get a bunch of cool things donated every year for a very select and intimate crowd of collectors. Stuff goes for reasonable prices that are unheard of on the convention floor (where art dealers routinely gouge you for 10X what something is actually worth) and we like to keep it that way. Everybody walks away happy.

Thanks again for your generosity folks! Keep 'em coming. I'll be happy to answer people's questions.

Mick

Didn't have many statues but this was a favorite:

Absorbing Man

Sculpted by Jim Maddox and Randy Bowen

0348 of 2500

bought when he was on Agents Of Shield

20hoor8.jpg

yours for a $30 donation to Andy

shipped end of next week in USA and Canada free!

Hi people,

First of all, a Heeeee-ooooooooooooj thanks to Andy for pulling this whole thing together. It's humbling to have such confidence placed in me and our little group. I want to be sure you all note the word "our" in the last sentence. It's not my group even though I've sorta coordinated most of it. "Our" means that there's a bunch of collectors who come out to this banquet every year. In our earliest incarnation 20 years ago, we began very simply by just a bunch of war comics collectors who thought it would be cool to share a dinner together during a night of the Comic-Con. Some of the collectors present that first night were Chris Pedrin, Greg Pharis, Steve Fears, TheCollectron, AdamStrange, Miguel Rodriguez, Larry Curcio and a few others who I wish I'd stayed in touch with (anybody out there know where Larry is these days??). I think Pedrin was in touch with Heath and asked Heath if he'd like to join us (on our collective dime--pun intended). Heath was on board and then we discovered that Irv Novice was a guest of the Comic-Con, so I reached out to Novick and his wife Sylvia who ALSO attended that first night. All the collectors informally pooled our $$ to cover the expenses not only of our own meals but Heath and the Novick's as well.

The following year, we scored with Kubert and Heath in attendance. We jacked up the price to double the "cost" of dinner that year for all attendees so that their "collective dimes" would pay the dinner for Heath and Kubert as well as for Russ Heath's hotel bill (Kubert was technically a guest of the Comic-Con). I don't know this for sure, but I think the hotel underwriting was my idea and when we elected to do that, Greg Pharis (who is also a local San Diegan) and I created a joint checking account that was only accessible for withdrawal when both of us were present. We operated that account for the next 15 or so years together.

By the third year we also convinced Heath and Kubert to create a "jam-page" that we would reproduce for all attendees as a souvenir. I remember being lucky enough to be a fly on the wall at Wonder-Con while the two of them sat together and discussed what it would entail. Then they got to chatting about the old days of war comics creators while Kubert drew his contribution. In typical Heath form, he didn't do his drawing during the convention, but elected to grace it with his perfectionist flare at home. We subsequently auctioned the completed original off the night of the banquet and thus began the "self-propelling" fundraiser idea. From that night on, we took proceeds from the auction and kept it in the dual account to roll over for underwriting whoever the guest would be for the following year and we received some amazing art donations over the year from the guests and people in absentia all along the way.

Here's a list of the guests as best I can recall (these are approximate so if I'm remembering incorrectly and anybody sees something that needs fixing, let me know):

1995 Russ Heath and Irv Novick

1996 Mort Drucker, Russ Heath, and a brief appearance by Ric Estrada

1997 Joe Kubert Bob Haney, and Russ Heath (first art auction)

1998 John Severin, Ric Estrada, and Russ Heath

1999 Chuck Cuidera, Carmine Infantino, Bob Haney, and Russ Heath

2000 Sam Glanzman, Walt Simonson, Grey Morrow, Angelo Torres, Ric Estrada, and Russ Heath

2001 Dan Spiegle, Dîck Ayers, Russ Heath Sam Glanzman

2002 Irv Novick, Dîck Ayers, Sam Glanzman, Russ Heath, Ric Estrada, Bob Haney, and George Pratt,

2003 Ric Estrada and Russ Heath

2004 Thomas Yeates and Russ Heath

2005 Sergio Aragones and Russ Heath

2006 George Pratt and Carmine Infantino

2007 Romeo Tanghal and Russ Heath

2008 Russ Heath

2009-2011 no guests

2012 Heath

2013 Heath

2014 Heath

It's worth noting that over the years, we received some auction donations in absentia from amazing people including Kubert, George Evans, Henry Boltinoff, Irwin Hasen, Howard Chaykin, Frank Thorne, and especially Jerry Grandenetti.

For a few years, (2009-2011) we scaled things back, zeroed out the account (split all remaining funds between Sam Glanzman and Russ Heath as gifts from our organization) and ceased holding auctions. Most of the old guys were no longer alive or were not up to traveling anymore. We kept the banquets going but on an informal basis where just the collectors got together with no auctions. But Russ Heath somehow managed to show up for one of 'em and donated some ridiculously cool piece to an impromptu auction. We raised enough from that and donations by Neal Adams, Scott Shaw!, and Sergio Aragones to give some $$ to Russ and Sam AND keep some set aside in a new bank account (Greg Pharis had retired from it when we zeroed out the account) to revolve into the following year's sponsorship. So the auction/sponsorship was revived organically. For the last few years, we've sponsored Heath's stays. Likewise, for the last few years, we've given 1/4 of post-auction $$ directly to Russ Heath, 1/4 to Sam Glanzman, and kept 1/2 in the account so that we had something to work with for the following year.

This year, we have $1800.00 in the account (after we passed Sam and Russ each $900 last year right after the banquet). I have run this strategy by numerous attendees and each person seemed to agree that it was important to preserve an account for the following year, but it was of paramount importance to continue to gift some to Heath and Glanzman while they are still alive. I won't go into their specific situations, but they each live in circumstances that would make any of us agree that creators of their ilk--particularly ones who have been responsible for dozens, hundreds, or thousands(?) of hours of comics entertainment--deserve better.

Essentially, we've kept it alive in one form or another for the past 20 years. I think Russ has only missed about 3 of them. Recently, I've been posting our bank account numbers and AdamStrange was kind enough to volunteer to audit the account so that the $ transactions in and out of the account remains transparent (in so far as a tiny organization like us can be--I've done it this way to avoid the extra formalities of Uncle Sam that I'd rather not deal with).

Andy is doing a great thing. The $$ donated toward this go directly toward pulling Sam and Sue Glanzman out this year to Comic-Con. Again, if there is ANYTHING left over (after this fundraiser, the expenditures on travel accommodations for the Glanzmans, and after the banquet art auction), we'll pass 1/4 directly to Glanzman, 1/4 directly to Heath, and 1/2 stays in the account for next year for whoever we underwrite (that's what the current $1800 is from).

When I get a minute, I'm going to scan the art that Sergio Aragones JUST created for the banquet auction. It's a typical Sergio send-up.

I want to end by thanking Andy and the fine people who are putting out donations (and had the patience to read this long-winded post) of either $$ or material items on behalf of the group. ALL people are invited to attend if you happen to be out in San Diego during Comic-Con. We run the banquet each year on Thursday night of the con at Filippi's Pizza Grotto in Little Italy (north of downtown SD). The pizza is the best in San Diego and the company is even better. I hope that any of you who come to SD will contact me and attend. All attendees will have bidding rights in the auction and we get a bunch of cool things donated every year for a very select and intimate crowd of collectors. Stuff goes for reasonable prices that are unheard of on the convention floor (where art dealers routinely gouge you for 10X what something is actually worth) and we like to keep it that way. Everybody walks away happy.

Thanks again for your generosity folks! Keep 'em coming. I'll be happy to answer people's questions.

Mick

Thanks for expanding on what this is all about, Mick. (thumbs u

I hope that we can find a few more people to help Sam Glanzman and Russ Heath out here. I was really surprised to hear that these two stars were in the state that they are. :(

I'll see if I can make another purchase or two in this thread. :)

Hopefully posting a Modern in here is okay.

Edward Scissorhands 1 CGC 9.8. $35 donation and I'll cover shipping in the US.

004_zps0stfgrho.jpg

What an amazing book. Would buy that in a second if I could. I've written quite a few papers on Catch-22 over the years.
Good guys/ gals only. No HOS or Probies

Payment by Paypal.

Shipping in the US is USPS Priority + Insurance.

Int'l please pm me, as I''ll need to figure out a price.

PM's are welcome, but the 1st :takeit: for the cause wins and trumps any pm's.

Asking $2000.00. I will donate 50% of the sales price. I hope this helps.

Signed FIRST Edition of Joseph Heller’s “Catch 22”. Published in New York by Simon and Shuster in 1961. First Printing is stated on copyright page. This copy is SIGNED by the author on a tipped in page. The book is Fine with slight fading along the top and bottom edges and on the front and back paste downs and free end pages. DJ is near Fine except for slight wear and rubbing on corners, slight wearing and creasing on top and bottom spine ends, fading and discoloration on covers, spine and inside flaps. The top and bottom of the spine has been repaired. DJ price reads $5.95. Book comes in specially made slip cover.

IMG_8614_zpsc702a9eb.jpg

IMG_8615_zps921218f8.jpg

IMG_8620_zps0huimvjd.jpg

IMG_8621_zps5pj5kwun.jpg

IMG_8626_zpskkwcg39c.jpg

IMG_8631_zpsvbevdfjm.jpg

IMG_8630_zpsetthcnhr.jpg

IMG_8629_zps83or900y.jpg

IMG_8635_zpsqc26sn65.jpg

IMG_8628_zpshy3jxlq5.jpg

This is AWESOME!!! :headbang: