• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's talk about Ultraverse variants.

25 posts in this topic

I hear the Gold hologram covers are the rarest & hardest to find !? If I remember right, didn't Marvel buy them out before these Gold holograms where released ? Just checked out the Overstreet price book if you look at page 860 you can see that it doesn't list the Gold hologram cover, just the Silver one at a print run of 5K ! Still don't know the print run on the Gold hologram yet.

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

I am still looking for some Gold Variants out in the wild. I have all the Silver and still cant part with them. I think I have only an Ultravese 1 Gold and its not that tough to find.

I still remember card dealers wanting $50 a pop for them at the time they came out.

I wish Marvel would do something with them what a waste.

Anyone got a list of all the Gold ones? I know Prime has one.

Anyone got a list of all the Gold ones? I know Prime has one.

All the titles that have a silver hologram cover also have a gold hologram cover. So that would be Exiles, Freex, Hardcase, Mantra, Prime, Prototype and Strangers. Ultraforce has a gold, but no silver and is not as limited as the other gold holo covers.

Random thoughts.

Malibu/Ultraverse characters are potential gold mines.

Although for years we heard Marvel doesn`t use the characters because of contract issues we can bet that with Disney now owning the Ultraverse they will find away to fix the contract issue.

Disney is notorious when it comes to getting contracts to work in their favor.

So yeah this a good topic to start to talk about for long-term speculating growth.

The first characters I think of that would make for a good modern Disney movies would be Prime and Rune.

So do they have any variants out there?

Random thoughts.

Malibu/Ultraverse characters are potential gold mines.

Although for years we heard Marvel doesn`t use the characters because of contract issues we can bet that with Disney now owning the Ultraverse they will find away to fix the contract issue.

Disney is notorious when it comes to getting contracts to work in their favor.

So yeah this a good topic to start to talk about for long-term speculating growth.

The first characters I think of that would make for a good modern Disney movies would be Prime and Rune.

So do they have any variants out there?

The characters in those two universes are largely unknown, even by fanboys. With the huge portfolio of Marvel characters at their disposal, I wouldn't envision Disney putting alot of $$/effort in fighting through any contract issues with Malibu/Ultraverse. IF they ever did anything with those characters, I could see something animated...along the lines of the Incredibles.

Just grabbed two Prime golds for $15 a piece! :cloud9:

I think I have most of them now, still have extra Mantra golds and maybe a Free-X.....

Are you saying that a book which was printed at only 200 copies suddenly showed up for super cheap 20 years later?

Oh, the humanity Jaydoggity! :ohnoez:

I think I have most of them now, still have extra Mantra golds and maybe a Free-X.....

Are you saying that a book which was printed at only 200 copies suddenly showed up for super cheap 20 years later?

:signfunny:

Please provide the backstory for someone not well-versed in board politics/drama. :)

Please provide the backstory for someone not well-versed in board politics/drama. :)

Jaydogrules is confident, to the point of ridiculing others, that books as "rare" as Amazing Spider-man #667 and #678 variants (of the 1:50 variety, at least 600 copies, and probably more like 1,500 copies) will never turn up in quantity, and the $2,000+ prices currently being paid for recent variants are justified because the other copies turning up is never gonna happen, as proclaimed with all the authority of the Jaydog.

Please don't provide the backstory for someone not well-versed in board politics/drama. :)

Fixed that one...

Please don't provide the backstory for someone not well-versed in board politics/drama. :)

Fixed that one...

That would have been my preference, but unfortunately I had already replied.

Jaydogrules is confident, to the point of ridiculing others, that books as "rare" as Amazing Spider-man #667 and #678 variants (of the 1:50 variety, at least 600 copies, and probably more like 1,500 copies) will never turn up in quantity, and the $2,000+ prices currently being paid for recent variants are justified because the other copies turning up is never gonna happen, as proclaimed with all the authority of the Jaydog.

Okay, haha. Yes, that's true. I remember a well known and pretty respected LCS owner having a chat with me about trying to talk a guy down in the 90s about super-overpaying for variants. He was seeing it come full circle in recent years, tried to downplay people from spending all their money on them...

Okay, haha. Yes, that's true. I remember a well known and pretty respected LCS owner having a chat with me about trying to talk a guy down in the 90s about super-overpaying for variants. He was seeing it come full circle in recent years, tried to downplay people from spending all their money on them...

It's a weird discussion.

First of all, if you have enough money to drop $2,000 on a modern variant without worrying about the future... then you're doing fine.

However, if you are "investing" in comic books and looking for a "sure thing", I can't imagine anything less sure than spending $2,000 on the 667th issue of a title... which doesn't contain any story or character appearances that matter... when you can get a copy of issue #1 for about the same price. lol

"Rare" is something any publisher can do, to whatever rarity level they choose, any time they feel like it. Printing a first issue of a series that lasts 50+ years is not.

It's a weird discussion.

First of all, if you have enough money to drop $2,000 on a modern variant without worrying about the future... then you're doing fine.

However, if you are "investing" in comic books and looking for a "sure thing", I can't imagine anything less sure than spending $2,000 on the 667th issue of a title... which doesn't contain any story or character appearances that matter... when you can get a copy of issue #1 for about the same price. lol

"Rare" is something any publisher can do, to whatever rarity level they choose, any time they feel like it. Printing a first issue of a series that lasts 50+ years is not.

If you find a copy for $5, even $100 at this point.. SELL QUICKLY. That's the best way to make a killing on this book. If you're buying at $2000, you'd better LOVE Del Otto and have money to burn, or have a working crystal ball that sees things the rest of us do not. What I would find the most amusing would be IF the Dog man ends up being right about the whole thing. That there is only 200? something copies, and the cover becomes this iconic cover for all times. And the price keeps going up and up, while every other variant becomes stale, and decreases in value. Some to the point of ending up in the bargain bins. One thing I've learned in this life is that almost nothing is impossible, even if the odds are stacked mountain high against you/it. Time tells all. I have :popcorn: ready.