• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good or Bad??? posted by 1994axiom94

5 posts in this topic

It is interesting to me how something that is appealing to one collector is a turn-off to another.

In addition to all the different approaches on what to collect, it is also fascinating what different collectors find to be appealing in a comic.

Condition-wise I can accept an "honest wear CGC 4.0" silver-age key as well as the "would be a 7.0 if not for the chunk out of the back cover CGC 4.0" silver-age key. I will also try to get as high a grade as possible on non-keys. My ASM 1-20 range from CGC 2.5 to 9.0.

I also am not wild about autographed issues which most collectors will place a premium on, but love silver-age books with stamps! I don't like arrival dates and any embellishments by a previous owner are a real turn-off for me, but a good stamp is a definite plus!

Here is one of my favorite stamped comics... a mid-grade semi-key with a stamp that screams 60's. YU phone exchange for a News Stand owned by a guy named Monte in exotic Port Arthur TX. Does it get any better than this?!!

16573.jpg

See more journals by 1994axiom94

I used to love cover mis-wraps: to me they were interesting, unique, and rare flaws that actually made the comic more collectible. Unfortunately, I am in the minority on this one as most collectors view them as eye-sores. And because they are less desirable than perfectly centered comics, I have since stopped collecting them.

But I'm happy you follow the beat to your own drum... it makes your collection much more interesting!

Happy collecting.

SW3D

I like the cover stamps myself. The more info the better. The one in the picture is great because it's highly visible on the back cover. When I was a kid our phone number started with FA which meant fairfax. My mom's in her ninetys and still has the same phone number minus the fa of course.