• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Signature Series VS an altervate option ?

5 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity, doe anyone collect CGC books where the collector just gets the outer slab autographed by the creators?

I have a lot of old comic books that I got signed without any "witnesses" other than myself that I know are authentic.

I continue to get comics signed, but find it a bit of a logistical and well as financial burden to go through the CGC yellow label signature series process. But at the same time, do like the CGC slabbing for both preservation and aesthetic presentation. I've gotten some books signed both on the cover and inside front page. Personally, I think that the autograph on the cover most of the times isn't too aesthetic and distracts from the pure beauty of the comic book cover art itself, and a part of me also feels the autograph is a secondary aftermarket alteration, so, although can be authenticated, in a way impacts the desirability and purity of a high grade book.

So, with that, is the best of both worlds solution to get books graded, but not signed, then once slabbed have the autograph on the case itself, be it the front side or the back side, so it still protects the comic book and because the case is tamper proof, it's still attached to the comic in the same way with sports and trading cards and their "sticker autographs" and how they have their celebrities sign stickers than apply them to the surface of anything and that item instantly becomes "signed" - - or is that something that is less appealing to most?

I'd figure those who love autographs get it, and those who don't can have it either reslabbed or have the peace of mind knowing that their book is inside, unaltered.

Just a random thought as I look at my collection and contemplate getting some books graded as well as autographed but figuring if I just submit them unsigned, to avoid the green label and just get the outer case signed later on or not.

It's really only an issue if you want to resell later and if you had to pay for the autograph to when you got it.

From my experience it's a losing monetary proposition to pay for autographs (as most celebs do at conventions) and have the book be raw. Even well-known companies that have COA's don't carry much confidence when it gets to pricing.

If you want to keep them forever/don't care about if you can get your money out of them then signing on the case is a nice option.

I had an opportunity to add three TMNT creators to this TMNT 1 which had already been signed by Kevin Eastman under the SS program. I did not have a CGC witness available so I went with the best possible option at the time. No regrets.

2601141533281_zps0pza9yw7.jpg

Plus if u get a picture of the person holding the slab & you can see the slab serial number that should be good enough?

How many megapixels you rocking there to catch the signer, the slab and a clear serial number? lol