• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics Cover Credits?

5 posts in this topic

I don't think we've done this one before...

On another thread I was commenting about how DC hyped Kirby's arrival on the cover of the "Fourth World" books:

701763-newgods1.jpg

While common nowadays to put big-name creators' names on the covers, that was pretty unusual at the time. I remember a couple of issues of DC Special singling out Infantino and Kubert, but that's about all from DC up until the "Kirby is Here!" mania.

The earliest Marvel I've found with a cover credit is

1636_4_0005.jpg

(courtesy Grand Comics Database)

I guess at that time EC fandom was in full swing, and Woody's name was in the spotlight for that reason?

So... my questions:

1) What's the earliest cover credit you know of? I'm not counting signatures on the cover, or a byline as part of the cover logo such as "Will Eisner's Spirit" or "Hal Foster's Prince Valiant." It has to be a cover blurb hyping the name of one of the creators.

2) Other Silver Age examples apart from Daredevil 5 ?

Thanks!

893applaud-thumb.gif Thanks!

I wondered if there might be an early S&K cover credit out there. I believe they were the first of the creators to be wooed away from one company to another way back when (and no doubt negotiated their by-line as a result).

Any earlier, anyone?