• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It is time to step up?

38 posts in this topic

Relative to an Action 1 or a Detective 27, you could wallpaper your house with Batman 1. I personally have come across a few HG restored copies (and was seriously considering a restored cgc 7.5 for $10K) but to find an unrestored above 5.0 is not as common. I have never seen one, but I know I can't afford it, so I haven't been looking for one either . . .

Actually the relative affordability of the Batman vs. Detective and the lack of scarcity made me choose Bats vs. Det. I would make the bold claim that any Batman book is actually not all that rare in terms of GA books. Probably due to the TV show, which started only 26 (??) years after Batman 1. After that the print runs exploded and previous copies were "preserved". I will say that HG copies of Batman are pretty darn tough just because the people who wanted to read the book were drawn from the TV show / movie.

Also, early Batman detectives are (1) ridiculously expensive and (2) scarce in any grade. I also don't aggressively look, but I would say in the last year I haven't seen more than 20 copies of Detective sub 50 on ebay.

DAM

BTW - if I do go for it, should I go for the 103 or the 122?

103 9.4 W, bat-hound OS $450 103

122 9.4 C-OW marriage of Batman and Catwoman OS $250 122

I have to see if I can get some funds in place, but this could be interesting . . .

DAM

Re: Batman 1 v. Detective 27

I'm a huge Batman fan and, like Collectinator, if I had to choose beetween Batman 1 or Detective 27, I'd take the Batman 1. It just seems more Batman-ish. Don't ask why. I'll settle for a really nice VG or a restored copy someday, it ain't going to be happening soon, though.

I would go for the 103, but I like Ace covers/stories.

Not as much as I like Krypto stories. I have been looking for YEARS for an Adventure 210 (first Krypto). I mean YEARS! I never saw one for sale at cons or shops from about 1978 until just a few years ago. Last year there was a nice one on eBay, but it was too expensive. I think that book has gotten out of my price range now. It used to be fairly cheap - of course I couldn't find one then. I'd even like a reading copy, but no such luck.