• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggest me some cheap bronze age comics

54 posts in this topic

THE INVADERS!

mm

The Invaders was a great run,and some awesome G.A. esque covers. :cloud9:

Really enjoyed #20 with the 8-page origin of SUB-MARINER.

mm

The problem with the Invaders was Marvel's choice of art teams to work on that book. While the covers were really nice, featuring a lot of Kirby, Kane, and Romita, the interiors were :sick::sick::cry:

The problem with the Invaders was Marvel's choice of art teams to work on that book. While the covers were really nice, featuring a lot of Kirby, Kane, and Romita, the interiors were :sick::sick::cry:

THANK you! The interior artwork was terrible IMO. I loved the idea, revisiting WW2 adventures, but the artwork was terrible. Not my favorite book as a kid by a long shot.

THANK you! The interior artwork was terrible IMO. I loved the idea, revisiting WW2 adventures, but the artwork was terrible. Not my favorite book as a kid by a long shot.

If the stories are good (and most of these appear to be so) I can get past the artwork.

Aside from this, some of the Robbins ones are really nice. Not like on Captain America, where the art looked more rushed up. Early Invaders issues are nice.

THE INVADERS!

mm

The Invaders was a great run,and some awesome G.A. esque covers. :cloud9:

Really enjoyed #20 with the 8-page origin of SUB-MARINER.

mm

I must pick it. I just loved the #7-8-9, with Union Jack and the Falsworth family. Never read them in italian when I was a kid, so I was pretty much delighted. :)

Marvel Team-Up is consistently very good for the 1st 100 issues. In most cases, you have the same writing and creative teams as on Amazing Spider-man. Its also in continuity with Amazing Spidey. Way under appreciated in my opinion.

You get some great Claremont/Byrne stories in Marvel Team-Up, and the first Byrne on the X-Men with issue 53. Also, there's all of the reprint series, including Marvel Tales for Spider-Man. Here's most of them from the '70s:

Amazing Adventures V3 (1979): 1-14

Fantasy Masterpieces V2 (1979): 1-14

Human Torch (1974): 1-8

Ka-Zar (1970): 1-3

Marvel Adventure (1975): 1-6

Marvel Double Feature (1973): 1-21

Marvel Spectacular (1973): 1-19

Marvel Super Action (1977): 1-37

Marvel Super-Heroes (1967): 32-105

Marvel Tales (1964): 34-136

Marvel Triple Action (1972): 1-47

Marvel's Greatest Comics (1972): 35-96

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD (1970): 16-18

Nick Fury and His Agents of SHIELD (1973): 1-5

Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos (1970): 80-167

Special Marvel Edition (1971): 1-14

Strange Tales (1975): 182-188

Tales to Astonish V2 (1979): 1-14

X-Men (1970): 67-93

Also, there's some fun issues of Marvel Spotlight, Marvel Feature, and Marvel Premiere.

The Death of Jean DeWolf storyline (Spectacular Spider-Man 107-110) is a classic.

Spectacular Spider-Man almost defines late Copper / Bronze for me. Fun stories and a decent expansion of the Spidey mythos. Spectacular # 23 (with Moon Knight) was one of the first comics I ever bought.

I'll second this.

There's also the great Carrion arc #25-31 which featured Frank Miller's first Daredevil work.

1st Cloak and Dagger.

The owl vs. Doc Ock war.

Excellent Lizard story in #125

Awesome Green Goblin II story leading up to #200, which was just excellent.

Lots of good stuff in that title.

#1-200 would be a great alternative to collecting ASM for the Spidey fan on a budget.

Warlock 9-15, Avengers Ann 7/MTIO Ann 2

Captain Marvel 25-33

Defenders 1-29

Marvel Team-up 59-70, 75

Avengers 164-166 (a personal fave)

Iron Fist 1-15

Marvel Two-in-One 53-58

Avengers 127-135

Detective Comics 437-443 (Manhunter)

What-If 1-5

And of course, ASM 100-150 and X-Men 94-143, but those can get pricey, even for VG.