• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warren Ellis Did anyone read his under-appreciated books?

32 posts in this topic

Iron Man Extremis is the best Iron Man story to come out in a long time.

It was the TPB that got me back into the title and the Iron Man movie.

The art from Adi Granov is amazing. I have 7 original art pages from this comic series and it's one of my all time favorites.

Definitely a must read.

It was mentioned in the OP, but I don't think anyone else commented on Gravel...

I read the three trades, and they weren't bad. The notion of a "combat magician" is interesting. I was a big fan of Hellblazer, and Gravel kind of felt like that.

I would say that - on average - Hellblazer was probably a better title, but Gravel stand up OK. I think it's supposed to be revived at some point in the near future, too.

I also read Ocean and Orbiter, but neither really stands out in my mind as particularly memorable.

I am enjoying Trees, and waiting for the trade on Supreme Blue Rose (I read the first issue as a floppy and loved it, but haven't looked at subsequent issues).

It was mentioned in the OP, but I don't think anyone else commented on Gravel...

I read the three trades, and they weren't bad. The notion of a "combat magician" is interesting. I was a big fan of Hellblazer, and Gravel kind of felt like that.

I would say that - on average - Hellblazer was probably a better title, but Gravel stand up OK. I think it's supposed to be revived at some point in the near future, too.

I also read Ocean and Orbiter, but neither really stands out in my mind as particularly memorable.

I am enjoying Trees, and waiting for the trade on Supreme Blue Rose (I read the first issue as a floppy and loved it, but haven't looked at subsequent issues).

Did you read Hellblazer Shoot? It was the book about school shootings he wrote before Columbine happened but was going to be released right after Columbine happened until they cancelled it because of all the controversy.

It's really interesting and sad. They finally released it about 5 or 6 years ago.

I loved Gravel. All the Strange Kiss books and Strange Killings books were kind of meh compared to Gravel. They're cool but not as good as Gravel. They all have the same main character William Gravel for those who haven't read them. He's an old dude who used to work for the government who goes around kicking .

The new Gravel started coming out in 2013 or 2014. Ellis isn't plotting or writing this one though. It's Mike Wolfer. I haven't read it yet.