• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how to start a comic shop

47 posts in this topic

1) Have a shop with free rent

2) Come into it with a huge collection that can get turned into inventory. That way for future inventory you can spend what you have made rather than using existing capital or debt

3) Have a relative who can work at the shop for free (feed them or something) if you need to get out and do something for a few hours

So, basically, the business becomes viable if you have very few expenses! ;-)

You're going to make your rent with new books, trades, cards, etc... Anything back issue you sell will be a bonus. Don't count on them to pay your bills.

I know nothing about trading cards or what there worth. So that's goin. To be something I'll have to research a bit more. How do I go about getting new stock for new age books? Do I have to contact all the label's ie, Dc marvel imagine? Or is there like one supplier who starts you up?

From what I can tell, the comic shop in my area makes most of its money on toys, new comics, and Magic the Gathering cards. And I'm not sure the owner makes that much money; he doesn't appear to be living the high life, but then, who can tell—he may just pump all his money into his own collection. By toys, I'm including ones that are new but collectible. I'm not sure whether he still does it, but that owner used to go to Toys-R-Us every day around the time the delivery trucks arrived to see if they had gotten certain items. He'd scoop them up before they even hit the shelves. And from what I can tell he's at the shop every day. If he's out, it's because he's looking for inventory. I don't think he'd go to his own mother's funeral unless he thought someone might show up with some Star Wars figurines. He's also told me theft is a major issue. He routinely catches kids trying to steal items, and there's no telling how much stuff actually walks out the door.

If you do get your own shop, buy a building with ample parking available. Don't even think about renting a place. I've seen many businesses that were doing just fine until the landlord decided to raise the rent and put them out of business.

You're going to make your rent with new books, trades, cards, etc... Anything back issue you sell will be a bonus. Don't count on them to pay your bills.

I know nothing about trading cards or what there worth. So that's goin. To be something I'll have to research a bit more. How do I go about getting new stock for new age books? Do I have to contact all the label's ie, Dc marvel imagine? Or is there like one supplier who starts you up?

From what I can tell, the comic shop in my area makes most of its money on toys, new comics, and Magic the Gathering cards. And I'm not sure the owner makes that much money; he doesn't appear to be living the high life, but then, who can tell—he may just pump all his money into his own collection. By toys, I'm including ones that are new but collectible. I'm not sure whether he still does it, but that owner used to go to Toys-R-Us every day around the time the delivery trucks arrived to see if they had gotten certain items. He'd scoop them up before they even hit the shelves. And from what I can tell he's at the shop every day. If he's out, it's because he's looking for inventory. I don't think he'd go to his own mother's funeral unless he thought someone might show up with some Star Wars figurines. He's also told me theft is a major issue. He routinely catches kids trying to steal items, and there's no telling how much stuff actually walks out the door.

If you do get your own shop, buy a building with ample parking available. Don't even think about renting a place. I've seen many businesses that were doing just fine until the landlord decided to raise the rent and put them out of business.

That`s great advice, especially the ample parking available.

I know this lady who started a collectibles store right on a main street. She had traffic, and eyeballs looking at her store.

Unfortunately she went out of business because trying to park there was horrendous!

People gave up trying to park in front of her store.

like many many small businesses, make sure that you can sustain yourself without turning a profit (and probably suffering a loss) for a few years.

Also, set up smart way to subscribe.