• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How are these 9.6's?

32 posts in this topic

Do you think they shouldn't be a 9.6 because they are miscut?

Well, yes. I can see not downgrading a comic that is a little miscut, but these seem like extreme cases to me, well, at least the "What If" one.

Does a miscut lower a grade at all?

Ijiwaru Sensei sumo.gif

WTB Invaders 3 CGC 9.6 or better.

they should be downgraded simply b/c of that seller...ugh

but, that is bad bad mis-cut. since we all must judge for ourselves whether

or not to agree with the the cgc grade...my opinion is 9.4 at best...

The What If? is a square bound book and the slab was scanned crooked. It's not as bad as it looks.

328-122304-11.jpg

The Invaders is miswrapped and misstapled. The books is sitting crooked in the well and the slab is not straight on the scanner bed. Again, the scan makes it look worse than it is.

327-122304-55.jpg

the bottom of that invaders is one of the worst i've seen...and you can't

read the important comics code stamp of approval!!! do we really know it is

not going to harm people if they read it?

yeah, i don't understand how comics so horribly miscut are not penalized any in the grading process. seeing a little white on the spine is one thing, but those.... isn't there a lot of newsprint showing on the back?

in my mind i couldn't call any of them more than a VF other than maybe the what if.

Is it just me, or do these ebay listings fall well short of 9.6?

ebay confused-smiley-013.gifebay2

Ijiwaru Sensei sumo.gif

WTB Invaders 3 CGC 9.6 or better. (But not if they look like these.)

See the big number on the top left hand corner?

Hey...As long as you have 3/4 of the book, and it has sharp corners and no spine stress, your good. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif It doesn't matter if you can read the story or see ALL of the art...it's in a holder now. 893whatthe.gifscrewy.gif(By the way, I hope they don't put my rescent submission in the well that crooked, I think CGC would get them back!!) sumo.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Hey...As long as you have 3/4 of the book, and it has sharp corners and no spine stress, your good. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif It doesn't matter if you can read the story or see ALL of the art...it's in a holder now. 893whatthe.gifscrewy.gif(By the way, I hope they don't put my rescent submission in the well that crooked, I think CGC would get them back!!) sumo.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

foreheadslap.gifIt's the photo's that are crooked, not the way they sit in the holder 893naughty-thumb.gif

mr. sborock -- while it would never occur to me to send books like those in to you, do you really think they're 9.6s? (forgetting whether they're photographed crooked or in the holder crooked -- i think it's a little bit of both)

it's a problem because one nice thing about selling many cgc books is that the need for big scans, multiple scans and all that is less of a need. sure, sometimes people ask for more pictures, but sometimes not. if people are worried about 9.6s looking like that (something that may not show up clearly in the usual ebay scan), one part of the reason for slabbing is gone. everyone is going to want huge scans/photos.

foreheadslap.gifIt's the photo's that are crooked, not the way they sit in the holder 893naughty-thumb.gif

Steve, the book is crooked to a point. Look at the amount of space between the top edge and follow it across. Using the bottom of the grade label as a reference (and assuming that it is in straight) then the book is sitting crooked in the case. Also, use the same test at the bottom of the inner well, it is not at a uniform distance from right to left.

Not trying to be horses... well, you know, just pointing out what I see flowerred.gif

mr. sborock -- while it would never occur to me to send books like those in to you, do you really think they're 9.6s? (

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Do you see the large number in the upper left hand corner of the slab?

Clearly Steve, Paul and Mark DID think they are 9.6s. You may not. If you don't think they are, you don't have to think so. CGC grading may be different from yours.

mr. sborock -- while it would never occur to me to send books like those in to you, do you really think they're 9.6s? (

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Do you see the large number in the upper left hand corner of the slab?

Clearly Steve, Paul and Mark DID think they are 9.6s. You may not. If you don't think they are, you don't have to think so. CGC grading may be different from yours.

Well, admittedly, I am still somewhat of a newbie. And, yes, I can see the big 9.6 in the upper left hand corner. But these do not seem like books a collector would want or be able to display proudly. My question, somewhat revised, is, does miscutting play little no role in CGC's grading of a comic?

Ijiwaru Sensei sumo.gif

WTB Invaders 3 CGC 9.6 or better.

My limited experience has shown me that CGC doesn't downgrade in 9.6 or less for slight to moderate production defects, 9.4 for slight to moderate foxing.

I suspect they would (or should) if the problems were extreme.

Or possibly give a qualified grade... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif