• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man, Issues #51-#441, Complete High Grade Run For Sale On eBay!

49 posts in this topic

Greetings!

I am relatively new to the forums, but I have been a long-time comic book collector. I don’t sell comics for a living, but from time to time I sell books to fund new comic purchases or to free up space in my apartment. I have sold enough comics on eBay to reach Power Seller status and I do not have any negative feedback.

Here are the highlights of my current auctions:

High Grade Amazing Spider-Man Complete Run

I am selling a great collection of Amazing Spider-Man comics on eBay. A complete run from issues #51-441 is for sale. I don’t have room for these comics in my apartment any more so they have to go.

Notes on the Silver/Bronze books - most of the really high-grade copies come from an original owner collection that I bought a few years back. The guy I bought the comics from kept them in his attic. He knew they were valuable so he took really good care of them. Almost every comic I bought from him had never been read more than once, had a WHITE back cover, high cover gloss and basically looked fresh from the newsstand. Sadly the guy did not collect every issue, but he did have all of the keys. If you are browsing my auctions and you see a high-grade Silver/Bronze book, chances are it came from that collection. In that case, rest assured you are getting a WHITE paged copy with remarkable colors and gloss and a WHITE back cover. Nice copies of all of the keys are included. I have not had ANY of these comics CGC-graded, but there are certainly some great candidates.

Notes on the modern books – I only collected the best copies, so almost all of them are NEAR MINT (9.4) or better.

Other Items for Sale

Besides Spideys, I am also selling large runs of Silver-Age Journey Into Mystery and Strange Tales books. There are also a few Silver-Age Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense books and a nice copy of Avengers #1.

Here is the link to the auctions, happy bidding and good luck! If the link doesn’t work, just search under the seller name “jonandek”.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZjonandek

Thanks for the business!

Wow, those Vendio scans, and the way you can manipulate them to see every detail is pretty dang good. I wish all sellers used that system.

It is cool, but there's one major thing I don't like about it--I'd like to have the option to just see the whole scan. That would be easier and more useful than having to pan around the scan and waiting for the high res version of the region to load.

they don't have broadband in the baxter building, ff? you should get a break on your rent then

Yes, they do--that's why I just want to see the whole scan at once! That Flash image viewing control is intended to make viewing more efficient for slower connections--the entire image isn't loaded at once, just the portion you want to view is. I don't want to view portions, I want to see the whole thing at maximum resolution.

oh i agree wholeheartedly. with the build of firefox i'm using, i can't even see the pix, so i got that going for me...

hey, how is the view from the baxter building anyways? did it ever recover from that time when Gladiator lifted the whole thing from the one corner?

as you can tell, i don't collect moderns, moderns being defined as anything post 1990

an excellent question!

I am still wrestling with the idea of selling these (I am talking about the really nice Spideyshere, NOT the other titles which are just extras that I have upgraded over time), but the fact is I just need to. I just bought a ton of comics (completed my JIM, TOS, TTA, and Strange Tales Silver-Age runs) and if I don't sell some books to make up for my spending my fiancee might kill me (we're SUPPOSED to be saving for our wedding, not buying comics confused-smiley-013.gif).

another reason I am selling is that my comics are taking up too much space in our 2-bedroom apartment. I am selling almost 5 boxes worth in these auctions!

When I started collecting comics, it was only Spideys. I collected all of the Silver-Age, Bronze-Age and Moderns because I wanted a complete run. At this point I have become more focused on Silver-Age so it doesn't kill me to sell the bronze-age and moderns. also i have owned most of these comics for a long time now so have gotten plenty of enjoyment from them. time to let someone else share!

a long answer to your short question sign-rantpost.gif, but that's why I'm selling my beloved Spideys. Oh yeah, and I'm keeping the #1-50 of my Spidey collection, so I still have the cream of the crop to take out and enjoy. I LOVE those old Ditko/Romita Sr. covers. grin.gif

I don't like the fact that you can't see the whole scan either. I usually just take pics with my digital camera but this time I decided to use Vendio because I am selling so many high grade books and the scan lets you zoom in to excruciating detail. I know I would never buy a high-grade raw book without a really detailed picture.

as a side note, I have all of the scans saved on my computer so I am happy to e-mail them out to folks.

also, feel free to give any tips on other good image hosting services for my next round of auctions (which hopefully won't be for a long time - what I really enjoy is BUYING comics).

I don't like the fact that you can't see the whole scan either. I usually just take pics with my digital camera but this time I decided to use Vendio because I am selling so many high grade books and the scan lets you zoom in to excruciating detail. I know I would never buy a high-grade raw book without a really detailed picture.

as a side note, I have all of the scans saved on my computer so I am happy to e-mail them out to folks.

also, feel free to give any tips on other good image hosting services for my next round of auctions (which hopefully won't be for a long time - what I really enjoy is BUYING comics).

www.datazap.net is an excellent image hosting site. Datazap has a built-in, web-based auction design wizard (rudimentary, but not bad if you're HTML-retarded like I am). You can host a scan as big as a house there and it only costs $2.99 per month.

Here's an example:

http://www.datazap.net/sites/fantasyfootballbono/ff25nm92.jpg

blush.gif

holy cr*p, that's a huge scan. thanks for the link. I'll have to check out that site in more detail with the next auctions.

BTW, nice FF#25. I have just started to collect FF. actually, right now I only have the #1 (CGC 5.0). once I get some breathing room in my budget (can I plug my auctions here? BUY, BUY) I plan on trying to get some of other early issues. #4 & #5 are big priorities. a little pricey, but they are such cool books!

ok, ok. I've been getting so many e-mails about my shipping charges on these auctions... frustrated.gif

my least favorite part of selling comics is the shipping. In my past ebay auctions, I have lost money on shipping in many cases. nothing is more frustrating than to sell a comic that you really like for an amount that you're not happy with, only to then get stuck losing money on shipping. granted this does not happen all the time, but when it does it kind of sticks with you.

my rationale for the shipping charges on these auctions was quite simple. I would put shipping charges on the high end to insure I would not lose money shipping any comics. what I did for each auction was pick an amount that I knew would cover the shipping, hands down.

I know a lot of people hate this. but I figure if someone would normally pay, for example, $50 for a given comic. If my shipping charges are a dollar or two high, then that person will just bid $48 or $49 or $47 instead of $50. so I'm not trying to "make money" on shipping. I'm just trying not to lose money. It's pretty hard to eyeball a stack of comics and guess how much the weight is then guess what the shipping charges are going to be.

what do people on the forums think of this practice? any other eBay sellers want to chime in? thoughts?

ok, ok. I've been getting so many e-mails about my shipping charges on these auctions... frustrated.gif

my least favorite part of selling comics is the shipping. In my past ebay auctions, I have lost money on shipping in many cases. nothing is more frustrating than to sell a comic that you really like for an amount that you're not happy with, only to then get stuck losing money on shipping. granted this does not happen all the time, but when it does it kind of sticks with you.

my rationale for the shipping charges on these auctions was quite simple. I would put shipping charges on the high end to insure I would not lose money shipping any comics. what I did for each auction was pick an amount that I knew would cover the shipping, hands down.

I know a lot of people hate this. but I figure if someone would normally pay, for example, $50 for a given comic. If my shipping charges are a dollar or two high, then that person will just bid $48 or $49 or $47 instead of $50. so I'm not trying to "make money" on shipping. I'm just trying not to lose money. It's pretty hard to eyeball a stack of comics and guess how much the weight is then guess what the shipping charges are going to be.

what do people on the forums think of this practice? any other eBay sellers want to chime in? thoughts?

I usually just say in the auction that I'll ship at cost. Maybe on a cheap item I'll have a flat fee of $5.00 to cover postage and packing supplies.

Some people (not me) are freaks about sellers who overcharge even a dollar on shipping and will avoid your auctions if they think you're doing it. It's better to just say "Will charge actual shipping cost for method of your choosing. If you want it shipped in a box with padding, add $2.00 (or whatever)."

an excellent question!

I am still wrestling with the idea of selling these (I am talking about the really nice Spideyshere, NOT the other titles which are just extras that I have upgraded over time), but the fact is I just need to. I just bought a ton of comics (completed my JIM, TOS, TTA, and Strange Tales Silver-Age runs) and if I don't sell some books to make up for my spending my fiancee might kill me (we're SUPPOSED to be saving for our wedding, not buying comics confused-smiley-013.gif).

another reason I am selling is that my comics are taking up too much space in our 2-bedroom apartment. I am selling almost 5 boxes worth in these auctions!

When I started collecting comics, it was only Spideys. I collected all of the Silver-Age, Bronze-Age and Moderns because I wanted a complete run. At this point I have become more focused on Silver-Age so it doesn't kill me to sell the bronze-age and moderns. also i have owned most of these comics for a long time now so have gotten plenty of enjoyment from them. time to let someone else share!

a long answer to your short question sign-rantpost.gif, but that's why I'm selling my beloved Spideys. Oh yeah, and I'm keeping the #1-50 of my Spidey collection, so I still have the cream of the crop to take out and enjoy. I LOVE those old Ditko/Romita Sr. covers. grin.gif

Well keeping the first 50 is a great idea and probably a few later keys. I would probably spend $40 on the CD rom set so you can read the other 450 issues. Let me know if you have any early Avengers issues you want to unload. BTW what is the average grade of your TTA run?

Just some suggestions.

I think you would do better if you told the eBay auctions that your description had a link to a picture. That way people would see the little camera and be more likely to click it to view. Your listings look bare on eBay's pages so that might help.

On your shipping. I think your prices are way over the top.

If I am reading it correctly you say that shipping is

$7 for first book and

$1.50 for each additional book.

So, if I win say 5 books. I will be paying you $13.00 for 5 comics. That is very very high. You can easily ship those 5 books (under 1 pound) for $4 priority mail or for $5.75 at the most for 2 pounds.

Maybe its just me, but I would already be leaving your auctions and not even setting bids if I started to do the math in my head. I mean, it could get crazy high. I could win say 30 books and owe you $50 for shipping on a package that will only cost say $10? That isn't trying to not lose money, thats trying to make money and rip people on the ship. Another seller out there (Neatstuff) does that, and many people avoid them all together like the plague. Might want to rethink that.

frown.gif

As an effort to get over this shipping "controversy", I am offering all forumites the following. You have to prove to me that you are a member of this forum after you win the auction by sending me a PM.

If you win one of my auctions, you will be charged the shipping listed in the auction. I will go to the post office, ship your book and save the receipt. I will let you know the cost and REIMBURSE the overage via paypal.

I think it's only fair to charge something for supplies though. I don't know maybe an extra dollar or two on an individual comic and an extra few extra dollars depending on the size of the lot or number of books. I will make sure it's fair.

I had hoped that people could adjust their bids in accordance with the higher shipping fees, but being compared to NeatStuff was the last straw. I will NEVER buy another comic from them. Overgraded + one month shipping time and crappy customer service. they are the WORST in my opinion.

sign-rantpost.gif

Jon