• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Technical Problem?

62 posts in this topic

OK, so we always embed high res scans in the body of our auction text.

Like so. :D

However, over the weekend, I noticed that links were broken to these embedded images in a number of auctions. Upon further investigation, the links appeared to be broken for all auctions.

Like so. :facepalm:

Now, I've gone in to edit them and there is nothing wrong with the HTML code. In fact, what I discovered was that the simple act of opting to revise the item - without actually changing a single thing - and then saving, brought the images back in. ???

My questions are...

Why is this happening?

How can I 'edit' all 7,700+ auctions without going into them individually and saving them?

Clear cache/cookies if that doesn't work download malwarebytes and run scan. Be sure to click on each infection and hit delete

Edit-I can't see images in 2nd link....

OK, so we always embed high res scans in the body of our auction text.

Like so. :D

However, over the weekend, I noticed that links were broken to these embedded images in a number of auctions. Upon further investigation, the links appeared to be broken for all auctions.

Like so. :facepalm:

Now, I've gone in to edit them and there is nothing wrong with the HTML code. In fact, what I discovered was that the simple act of opting to revise the item - without actually changing a single thing - and then saving, brought the images back in. ???

My questions are...

Why is this happening?

How can I 'edit' all 7,700+ auctions without going into them individually and saving them?

I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that I have the same error when looking at your links, and when I right-click on one of the broken images and select "View image", it says "The image 'xx' cannot be displayed because it contains errors."

But, this is interesting - I was trying to drag over the message to copy it here, and Firefox instead drug the link to a new window, and it displayed fine. But what was interesting is when I did a "back" on the screen with the error, at that point the image displayed fine. And now if I click on your link, the images work just fine.

Weird.

Hey Nick :hi:

The pictures show up for me in both of your links.

:hi:

They should on the 1st one, Frank. (thumbs u

On the second, they don't for me and they don't for two other people I asked to check them out. :(

Maybe something going on with the way certain browsers are displaying. I'm running Chrome on a macbook and I'm able to see the pics in the listing on both links (screen grabs below).

snapshot.jpg

snapshot2.jpg

It appears the HTML for the one that works looks like this: (Right click > Inspect element)

rs3Bb36.jpg

The ones that don't look like this:

EkYLsNu.jpg

Note the spaces after and before the quotes.

Could be your problem. (And could be why some browsers work. They ignore the spaces.)

Yup.. and when I mouse over the one that works (after doing what HeyMoe said), I get a little thumbnail of the image. When I mouse over the one that doesn't work (with the extra spaces), I get a message saying something like "could not load image".

Recently Chrome stopped supporting something called NPAPI that is a remnant from the NetScape Plugin days of yore. This has caused numerous issues in many enterprise applications and may be the crux of your biscuit if you recently updated Chrome or have it on auto-update.

The easiest workaround is use another browser if possible.

-bc

I'm using Chrome.

If IE, right click on the page somewhere other than the jpg holder icon. (ie. The little icon where the jpg should be.)

Then 'View Source". Searcg for the JPG. The spaces are there. BUT Explorer doesn't care!

Get rid of those spaces!

It appears the HTML for the one that works looks like this: (Right click > Inspect element)

rs3Bb36.jpg

The ones that don't look like this:

EkYLsNu.jpg

Note the spaces after and before the quotes.

Could be your problem. (And could be why some browsers work. They ignore the spaces.)

But I've 'revived' the images without doing any editing. ???

And I've checked some of the images that have the gaps, and they still come in, providing I've gone into the page to edit...without actually editing. :ohnoez: