• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 94...Help me assess the damage

26 posts in this topic

It's really not that hard to put books in/take them out without damage. It's more technique then skill. As long as you hold the bag open the right way and pay attention it's pretty easy. I wouldn't try it with a ciggerette in my mouth, my dog on my lap and one eye closed. wink.gif

My entire X-Men run is in 'time-loks.' I knew when I bought it I'd need something to keep them safe. I didn't damage any when putting them in, but as you said it takes good technique...I practiced on some [!@#%^&^] before I attempted before the good stuff...took be the better part of a day to get them all in. wink.gif

This probably won't make you feel any better and,it certainly will raise a few eyebrows but, hey, I was a dumb kid and didn't know much,but I was certainly willing to give it a try......

The solution I came up with that was within my budget was bankers boxes,letter size manila file folders, plastic 3 ring page protectors,various sized manila envelopes and paper grocery sacks.Yeah,like I said, I was way young,but it seemed to be the only workable option at the time,especially as there were no direct shops in my neck of the woods and certainly no archival supplies.So,I did the best I possibly could with what I had and,you know what? Somehow ,against all odds,it all worked and it continues to work to this day.All of my books that were originally stored that way, in the supplies listed above, are still in the same,cherry condition that they were the day that I bought them.None of these storage units were "acid free"(at least not to my knowledge)but my books are still "alive".

So,whats the point?

I don't know exactly,but I can tell you that a huge amount of it was luck,because I was just an uninformed kid.I could have easily wound up with a pile of compost fodder,but,fortunately I didn't.It also pointed the way in which,even to this day,I prefer to store my comics,which is horizontally(spine down) instead of the preferred ,vertical method,which I think is murder on spine health.I still buy bankers boxes to store my books in,because,lets face it-Unless you're storing books without any protection whatsoever(and I'm sure you're not) what is the point of the extra expense?None that I can see-I'd rather see the money that I save so I can buy more comic books!!

Anyhow,thats just my story,and the scroll bar is getting a bit short.Don't want to hit you over the head with an article,but just a fond reminiscence of the kid who really didn't know better.....