• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Las Vegas -- March 18-20, 2016

14 posts in this topic

Did anyone go to this last weekend? Maybe I missed it but I have not seen any reports. I was thinking of going but it just didn't happen. If it is a reasonably good con I will surely make an effort to go next year.

Well I went, and if you want my opinion it was a waste of time and money. I sprang for the 3 day pass but ended up not even going on the 2nd or 3rd day. There were no publishers and I think I counted about 4 or 5 comic dealers. The rest were weapons, a couple anime, clothes and hey even my wife was able to buy a nice nail detailing set....lol

I was hoping for it being the first year and the same weekend as C2E2, I should have just stuck with my decision and went there instead. That's Vegas, you gamble but the house always comes out on top.

I was in Vegas for the weekend. Decided to check it out on Sunday. Was there for about 3 hours. Waste of time as well. My highlight was leaving and going to get a burger at In and Out.

Spoke to some of the dealers there most said the show was bad for them.

I went as well. Bad show for comic buying. There were only a few dealers. Harley Yee was there but he only had a small corner booth he said the rest of his books were at C2E2.

I was surprised at how small the show was, I usually go to spring con in St.Paul Minnesota and WW was quite a bit smaller and not as well attended.

The best part of WW was getting to meet Neal Adams, Mike Zeck and Michael Golden and getting sketches from them.

Maybe next year they should pick a schedule on a weekend that isn't matched with C2E2. Maybe they should try to match with SDCC or NYCC instead.

But honestly, I think for a lot of 1st year wizard world's nowadays they're just doing market testing and writing off losses for tax purposes. I don't think they expect to have 50-60 per year indefinitely, just identify which are the best for them based on dates, costs, markets, etc.

Maybe next year they should pick a schedule on a weekend that isn't matched with C2E2. Maybe they should try to match with SDCC or NYCC instead.

But honestly, I think for a lot of 1st year wizard world's nowadays they're just doing market testing and writing off losses for tax purposes. I don't think they expect to have 50-60 per year indefinitely, just identify which are the best for them based on dates, costs, markets, etc.

They're up to something like 25 shows, and they take December off, so they are currently scheduling a show an average of every other week. With this many major shows (I'm tempted to call it a glut), conflicting schedules are inevitable. Hell, Wizard has two shows scheduled on the same weekend in June, so they're even cannibalizing themselves now.

I'd agree with you on the point of happily taking a loss in the first year to establish themselves. Sadly, a bad comic show can still be a money-making pop culture show and that seems to be the way the market is moving.

So it's not well attended? I like that show. As long as they have excellent guest lists.

i think this was year one? and it appears to have been a bit dead