• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprints on graders notes....

53 posts in this topic

That's what I was thinking. Unless you want to apply so much heat the covers start shrinking.

As I've said before, good pressing is an artform as much as a science.

Not everything comes out.

And, as we've discussed, stuff comes back, because paper fiber has a "memory."

The presser has to fight not only existing defects, but new defects ("butterfly/flaring", "cockling", "waviness") that the process introduces.

It's not...by any stretch of the imagination...as easy as it sounds.

Cockling :cloud9:

That's what I was thinking. Unless you want to apply so much heat the covers start shrinking.

As I've said before, good pressing is an artform as much as a science.

Not everything comes out.

And, as we've discussed, stuff comes back, because paper fiber has a "memory."

The presser has to fight not only existing defects, but new defects ("butterfly/flaring", "cockling", "waviness") that the process introduces.

It's not...by any stretch of the imagination...as easy as it sounds.

Not only that, but I know through experience with Joey that he looks over the books to ensure this. I recently ran into someone that has sent you books and they spoke highly of you as well that you carefully look over each book as well. There are people that are paying for "quick presses" with CCS that may not be getting exactly what they bargained for as the quick press, from what I understand, is a one and done, move it along type of process.

Fingerprints have always been noted on grader's notes when they catch them (and affect the grade - obviously they may not be noted on low grade books).

Personally, I think they have some new graders in the room and are catching more defects than they used to.

CCS pressed books coming back with dings and bends? Now that is both unfortunate and shouldn't happen (if indeed it is).

I for one would agree with the second point. I don't think it's a good time to be sending books in right now. The books I've sent have been getting hammered; books that were in prior holders with much bigger labels.

I for one would agree with the second point. I don't think it's a good time to be sending books in right now. The books I've sent have been getting hammered; books that were in prior holders with much bigger labels.

Yup.

Yup.

I suspect it isn't that the new graders are necessarily catching more defects, it's that they are giving more weight to those defects than before.

Frankly, these notes have been a revelation. I've been poring through all the notes I have access to, and I've been mildly surprised that a book I thought CGC "missed" a defect, that defect is actually in the notes...the grader simply didn't give as much weight to the defect that I would have (like one detached staple at the centerfold in the 8.0 range. Surprising to me.)

The corollary, that it the note isn't there, CGC missed it, isn't true. Notes aren't meant to be exhaustive.

Yup.

I suspect it isn't that the new graders are necessarily catching more defects, it's that they are giving more weight to those defects than before.

Frankly, these notes have been a revelation. I've been poring through all the notes I have access to, and I've been mildly surprised that a book I thought CGC "missed" a defect, that defect is actually in the notes...the grader simply didn't give as much weight to the defect that I would have (like one detached staple at the centerfold in the 8.0 range. Surprising to me.)

The corollary, that it the note isn't there, CGC missed it, isn't true. Notes aren't meant to be exhaustive.

It could very well be that they are weighting the defects to a greater degree instead of it being new graders. However, with the exception of last year, I've sent in hundreds of books a year for the last few years and have never been as far off on grades as I have with the books that they have in house now or for ones that have been graded in the last few weeks. For the first several walkthough and express books, I've seen some drop two grades from the holders that they've been in prior and have watched the first pre-screen submission clear 12 of 30 books (I've never had a pre-screen submission miss more than 4-6 in the past).

Fingerprints have always been noted on grader's notes when they catch them (and affect the grade - obviously they may not be noted on low grade books).

Personally, I think they have some new graders in the room and are catching more defects than they used to.

CCS pressed books coming back with dings and bends? Now that is both unfortunate and shouldn't happen (if indeed it is).

This is my point a grader should be grading by CGCs pre set standards not stricter or looser based on someone's new or old opinion. I wonder what the training is exactly. I have an appraisers license in Real Estate and Auto Appraising you need class room time and the apprentice process is long and complicated. Also you have to be tested yearly.

Hell I think they have changed the lighting at CGC I have had lots of books increase in page quality like 2 and 3 grades???

Yup.

It could very well be that they are weighting the defects to a greater degree instead of it being new graders. However, with the exception of last year, I've sent in hundreds of books a year for the last few years and have never been as far off on grades as I have with the books that they have in house now or for ones that have been graded in the last few weeks. For the first several walkthough and express books, I've seen some drop two grades from the holders that they've been in prior and have watched the first pre-screen submission clear 12 of 30 books (I've never had a pre-screen submission miss more than 4-6 in the past).

When I did pre-screens, I usually did 22-26 passes, but then I threw stuff just to see what would stick. Have never had a perfect invoice, but, then, I throw stuff to see what sticks. ;)

I did get one invoice in which only 6 books passed. I thought they might have been dropped or something. hm I called about that and another one, and they "found" another 9.8 that "passed"....which I thought was a little interesting. .

Yes, I know about the drops in grade, and as I said earlier in the year, CGC seems to be hammering things lately.