• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess where my avatar came from...and WIN!

66 posts in this topic

It seems to be Kubert/Tarzan... now it really appears to be a panel. I'm guessing that it's from one of the 100 pagers. Perhaps from the one that is also DC 100 Pager Super Spectacular #19.

I have no idea... just guessing.

Buttock, Chromium and mister comics are getting very WARM! Yes, almost smoldering! This was published between 1963-1969...

I like how someone guessed a specific issue based on my past posts...

I have to say that with the wealth of knowledge you board members have, I'm a little amazed that no one has found the issue yet...this particular book is one of my all time favorites (next to superboy 132 and marvel super-heroes 18)!

1 final clue: The avatar is by Heath...no more clues folks...that's more than I thought I'd give anyway.

I've got $50.00 worth of prizes for the winner sitting right next to my computer (and a vg copy of the book to read).

Well, I checked all the G.I. Combat, Our Army at War, Our Fighting Forces,

All-American Men of War, and Star Spangled War Stories for 1963-69...

so if it turns out to be one of those covers, I'm going to be a little upset. grin.gif

(I even checked Sea Devils, dadgummit!)

Heath didn't do 177 did he? I don't have that issue and find too many errors in the OS price guide to use it as a reference for artists.

BTW, that's not it Warlord. Nice stab though, especially if it's a Heath issue...

It's a giant sized issue, reprint compilation....

GCD has this info:

U-Boat To Nowhere

(Sequence 5

Credits:

Russ Heath (Pencils), Russ Heath (Inks),

Reprinted: rep from Star Spangled War #86

Hey, it was just a stab. Looks like we're down to resorting to guesses so ... confused-smiley-013.gif Waiting until you shoot down a guess before taking the next guess... so now here's another stab -- GI Combat #114...?

Valiantman,

a man of my heart! So you're the one that slowed me down, checking all covers at the same time smile.gif

Gotta give it to Supremo, I had never looked at these war book covers and that was kinda fun. Don't think I'm going to rush by any tomorrow but interesting nonetheless.

Fantabulous! Kudos to the GREAT Mister Comics!

That's it! I still have the copy I purchased when I was a kid which I later glued, added staples (for strength?...who knows), taped and wrote on. That particular story "My Brothers With Wings" is campy and stupid but brings back vivid memories of daydreaming in grade school about getting to have "adopted" pterosaurs for brothers and tussling with other dinosaurs and "Japs" in WWII. The fact that the main character was also a pilot flying an F4U Corsair made this issue even more memorable.

I have 4 copies now...poor (the original), the vg I'm sending to mister comics, a vf- and a slabbed 8.5. Thanks for contributing folks...pm is on the way mister comics

By the way, if anyone has a SSWS 129 better than an 8.5, I'll happily pay whatever the asking price...