• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roy Lichtenstein's - The Ring Engagement

43 posts in this topic

This tension is evident in a painting that both depicts a joyful and life-changing event, as well as capturing a moment so commonplace in popular culture that it has become a pastiche.

rofl.gif

I wonder if they write these up over drinks and then laugh their asses off over what they come up with...

Here's where there $50 million piece came from....

ERing-7.gif

ERing-7.gif

It's called using reference. They all do it.

(Greg Land, anyone?)

With of course everybody referencing God (or Mother Nature if you prefer) in pretty much everything :)

I prefer the original this time, specifically the background. But...

The Ring (Engagement) was created at a time of emotional flux for the artist. Lichtenstein was in the midst of divorcing his first wife Isabel Wilson but was also in the early throws of romance with Letty Lou Eisenhauer, a graduate student he lived with while negotiating his divorce.

The new background may actually be a nod to Lichtenstein's personal tension. Or not? And for that matter, title aside, is the ring going on, or coming off?

ERing-7.gif

It's called using reference. They all do it.

(Greg Land, anyone?)

I have absolutely no problem putting Greg Land and Roy in the same camp.

That's 100% acceptable to me. (thumbs u

And for that matter, title aside, is the ring going on, or coming off?

well it is called "engagement" so presumably its going on.

Yeah you can read into his personal life with it, but its a meh piece to me personally - whether or not you like Lichty - relative to some of the other Lichtys.

EDIT: reading is fundamental. I see you wrote "title aside".

I wonder if the new owner will call it, "My Precious"? (shrug)

He'll probably do that, right after he's done reading articles about the piece that tell him how much he should like it and admire it.

You guys crack me up. After this I suppose the thread can turn to whether a completely mediocre piece of comic art should be worth 100X its otherwise perceived value because it features the first appearance of spandex-man or his arch enemy the really truly bad guy.

Or do we next hear (once again) that the artist who drew that panel in a completely forgettable love comic was the real genius here and Lichtenstein owes his entire career to him and should be strung up by his testicles for the impertinence of lifting these panels from obscurity by appropriating them in his art?

Pardon my eye roll.....

You guys crack me up. After this I suppose the thread can turn to whether a completely mediocre piece of comic art should be worth 100X its otherwise perceived value because it features the first appearance of spandex-man or his arch enemy the really truly bad guy.

Or do we next hear (once again) that the artist who drew that panel in a completely forgettable love comic was the real genius here and Lichtenstein owes his entire career to him and should be strung up by his testicles for the impertinence of lifting these panels from obscurity by appropriating them in his art?

Pardon my eye roll.....

Spandex-man, who's he?

Any relation to Mankini-man . . .

Borat-Mankini.jpg

Chris you nailed it on the head on this one! Bunch of phonies and of course the followers will chime in because someone is paying 30 million for it so they have to be right. BAH!

Hey some people keep overpaying for retread Bisley too, but what's price tag got to do with anything?

well vodoo I think the difference here is if I saw a painting that looked like a 90's bisley on ebay for $100 I would buy it. I bet $$$$ that if you saw a painting that looked like this Lichtenstein on ebay you would even click for the details. That is the difference between REAL passion and being a follower.

eh I have learned there is nothing to gain with these kinda of spats on this board. But I find it interesting since you decided to target the Biz in that you said retread. I dont think there is a more original guy in the industry then the Biz. The guy developed his own style,characters,clothes,vehicles,etc. You probably didn't spend anytime researching the Biz and were just fast to spit on my collection but he even has created his own painting technique. He paints in a frenzy and very fast which is unique to him. Just kinda funny of all the people you used to pick on in a Lichtenstein debate you picked the most original out there. But I will say as the Biz would say. Any art is good art so to each their own =)

I bet $$$$ that if you saw a painting that looked like this Lichtenstein on ebay you would even click for the details. That is the difference between REAL passion and being a follower.

Don't even know wtf that means? But you're right I wouldn't click through, have no interest in owning a Lichtenstein (well maybe a pencil piece, but not a final). I hope it's okay with you that people can discuss art without wanting (er needing?) to own it. Well even if it's not okay, I think we'll all still keep doing it anyway.

How do you know what my passions are or that I'm a follower? Have we even met. No. Heh heh.

Do I now start talking about your mother? No. I haven't met her either. See how silly that is?

The way you write, you beg for these responses. Every time.

I just don't know how you got your omnipotence. But please share, I'd love to know it all too :)

eh I have learned there is nothing to gain with these kinda of spats on this board. But I find it interesting since you decided to target the Biz in that you said retread. I dont think there is a more original guy in the industry then the Biz. The guy developed his own style,characters,clothes,vehicles,etc. You probably didn't spend anytime researching the Biz and were just fast to spit on my collection but he even has created his own painting technique. He paints in a frenzy and very fast which is unique to him. Just kinda funny of all the people you used to pick on in a Lichtenstein debate you picked the most original out there. But I will say as the Biz would say. Any art is good art so to each their own =)

I targeted Bisley because he's your bag, is overpriced (imo), and hasn't done anything innovative (stylistically) in 25 years since he broke the scene. He's not retreading anybody else, that I'm aware of, but he sure is himself (resting on his laurels, it's called). For that matter, Lichtenstein played with many different things for years until the comic style thing 'took' and then he mostly worked that angle to death (literally). Equally lacking further innovation imo.

To be fair, I have not spent decades delving into the art of either, so I'm open to being shown I'm wrong if there's a mature conversation that can emerge. Show me examples, help me understand, always interested in learning and for sure -never know it all!