• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't know the definition of rare anymore.

113 posts in this topic

There are four known copies of this book. I believe this is - without question - the rarest DC published since at least 1945. There have been more copies of that stupid Picture Parade comic shown in this thread then there are known copies of this book, just as a point.

photo.jpg

There are four known copies of this book. I believe this is - without question - the rarest DC published since at least 1945. There have been more copies of that stupid culturally and historically significant Picture Parade comic shown in this thread then there are known copies of this mundane book, just as a point.

Fixed it for you.

To me Canadian Whites are what I would consider rare. They are impossible to find for less than FMV. They are some darn nice books though.

When sfcityduck had his thread about "the four immigrants", that would be what I would consider un-obtainable. More at impossible to find; so I personally would not even try. Rarest of unique rarities.

In fact so few copies are in existence that if I recall he asked for advice on how to value the book as there is nothing to compare it to.

I've heard anecdotal stories about how Ernie Gerber determined rarity back in the late 80's when he was putting together his oversized GA and SA Photo Journal Guides. Let's just say it wasn't a scientific process.

No question about that, but do you think Overstreet is that much more accurate?

It's pretty clear that Overstreet has never really adhered to his own definitions of "scarce" and "rare." Many of those notations were added in early editions -- long before eBay helped give us a better grasp of how many copies there are of some books -- and have never been systematically revised.

..... another point to mention in regard to eBay is the demand factor. A book may seem less rare but is actually just a low demand issue that either sits on the site or is offered there by a seller hoping to capitalize on it's presumed rarity..... making it appear more common. I personally consider something rare if I can go to a major show for a few years running and not see one or check eBay for a year or so with no offerings. Technically, I suppose that "rare" would apply to something with less than 10 known copies.....a criteria that, surprisingly, doesn't really apply to that many mainstream comic books. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

There are four known copies of this book. I believe this is - without question - the rarest DC published since at least 1945. There have been more copies of that stupid Picture Parade comic shown in this thread then there are known copies of this book, just as a point.

photo.jpg

Have you got the Supergear clothes? Seen a lot on eBay recently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Jacket-Supergear-SUPERMAN-DC-Comics-bright-colors-orange-yellow-used-/271515428132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3794a524

I've heard anecdotal stories about how Ernie Gerber determined rarity back in the late 80's when he was putting together his oversized GA and SA Photo Journal Guides. Let's just say it wasn't a scientific process.

It's pretty clear that Overstreet has never really adhered to his own definitions of "scarce" and "rare." Many of those notations were added in early editions -- long before eBay helped give us a better grasp of how many copies there are of some books -- and have never been systematically revised.

..... another point to mention in regard to eBay is the demand factor. A book may seem less rare but is actually just a low demand issue that either sits on the site or is offered there by a seller hoping to capitalize on it's presumed rarity..... making it appear more common. I personally consider something rare if I can go to a major show for a few years running and not see one or check eBay for a year or so with no offerings. Technically, I suppose that "rare" would apply to something with less than 10 known copies.....a criteria that, surprisingly, doesn't really apply to that many mainstream comic books. GOD BLESS...

If > 10 is rare, then could you try to fill out the X for these other adjectives?

> 10 = rare

> ? = very rare

> ? = extremely rare

1 = unique

Or the English language is out of effect for comics?

If > 10 is rare, then could you try to fill out the X for these other adjectives?

> 10 = rare

> ? = very rare

> ? = extremely rare

1 = unique

Or the English language is out of effect for comics?

....It would be unlikely to get everyone to agree on a specific number......I thought Gerber's distinctions and associated numbers were decent enough. To me, "rare" doesn't really apply to many comics at all...... now, "scarce", that's another story. There are lots of factors and interpretations at play also..... let's say, Planets that support life as we know it., for example. For the sake of argument, let's say there are 6927 of them out of a nearly infinite number of ones not suitable......many would call those that are, "rare"....and considering our limitations as a species, for all practical purposes they would be "rare". I simply go by 10 because I've seen others use that cut off and it makes sense to me as well. When we talk about applying adjectives to the term, it doesn't really change anything.....merely adds subsets within it's distinction. But that's just my take, naturally. GOD BLESS...

There's nothing salacious about this, except to the salacious mind. A child isn't going to look at it, and think "mommy, why is Alf trying to rape that seal?" The "safety seal" is clearly trying to get away from Alf, and Alf is holding it back...hence, do not buy if safety seal is missing.

+1 I couldn’t agree more.

There are four known copies of this book. I believe this is - without question - the rarest DC published since at least 1945. There have been more copies of that stupid culturally and historically significant Picture Parade comic shown in this thread then there are known copies of this mundane book, just as a point.

Fixed it for you.

lol (thumbs u

Fixed it for you.

lol

Love the Archie ZBT book. How cool.

Rare is when you can't even get Overstreet to acknowledge that it exists.

10580054226_e0949c4d62.jpg

mm

MM, is either one of these your comic? Listed in the current Overstreet, in the Promotional section...

155248.jpg.62327ab77b227df0af8c41d6892bc5f7.jpg

Ashcans are the proverbial horse of a different color (make that B&W). These fall into a unique category, similar to an unused proof in the art world. ... Indeed these "proofs" are rare, but never intended for mass consumption.

Appreciate all your fine and thoughtful comments. Remember, though, that the ashcans fulfilled the obligation of "publication" for the U.S. Govt.'s purposes. So while they were not intended for mass distribution, they are not proofs, but indeed "published" comics, as proven by their acceptance by govt. registration agencies charged with making that distinction. (thumbs u