• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are LCSs the new enemy or have they always been?

190 posts in this topic

Let's talk Batman 40. Im a small store just getting started so my ordering isn't that high. I ordered 30 copies. Around 12 of those went into my subscribers pulls. 10 went on the shelf at cover. I pulled 8 for speculation and grading purposes. Of those 8 I gave away 4 to sub's who didn't order it but asked for it at cover. Of the ones that went on the wall no one even asked to purchase more than two.

If the remaining 4 are not 9.8s I 100% will put them back on the floor at a raised cost. I feel that I now have served my customers and sub's along with letting myself get in on making a profit. With this split approach I feel I did my best to work in my customers best interest.

Let's talk Batman 40. Im a small store just getting started so my ordering isn't that high. I ordered 30 copies. Around 12 of those went into my subscribers pulls. 10 went on the shelf at cover. I pulled 8 for speculation and grading purposes. Of those 8 I gave away 4 to sub's who didn't order it but asked for it at cover. Of the ones that went on the wall no one even asked to purchase more than two.

If the remaining 4 are not 9.8s I 100% will put them back on the floor at a raised cost. I feel that I now have served my customers and sub's along with letting myself get in on making a profit. With this split approach I feel I did my best to work in my customers best interest.

No problem with the way you did it. I have no issue with a store selling all their shelf copies to one person (although I think it would behoove them to limit so everyone gets a shot).

I do take issue with those that subscribe to a title not getting their copy but the store magically has "wall copies" at the spec frenzy price.

Also, I think opportunistic flippers are the enemy.

Nah. I don't have a problem no matter how opportunistic they are... as long as they understand the terms of doing business. I only have a problem if they complain about not getting the opportunity they desire.

My cost of doing business is bank loan payments, utilities, payroll, repairs, advertising, damages, unsold merchandise, taxes, maintenance, the product itself, etc. Currently this runs about $250 per hour. The flippers cost of doing business is driving many miles hitting up lots of shops hoping to score a bargain. Sometimes it will work for him. Sometimes it won't. That's the business model he's chosen. But he cannot expect that a shop should cater to his business model, anymore than my customers care about my overhead costs.

I do take issue with those that subscribe to a title not getting their copy but the store magically has "wall copies" at the spec frenzy price.

That's essentially a breach of contract (the file) the way I see it, and I agree is crooked. But that's an entirely different issue than whether a shop wishes to limit copies of a hot book. I don't care if a hot book shoots up to $1000... if the customer pre-ordered it at $3.99, he/she's getting it at $3.99.

Nah. I don't have a problem no matter how opportunistic they are... as long as they understand the terms of doing business. I only have a problem if they complain about not getting the opportunity they desire.

My cost of doing business is bank loan payments, utilities, payroll, repairs, advertising, damages, unsold merchandise, taxes, maintenance, the product itself, etc. Currently this runs about $250 per hour. The flippers cost of doing business is driving many miles hitting up lots of shops hoping to score a bargain. Sometimes it will work for him. Sometimes it won't. That's the business model he's chosen. But he cannot expect that a shop should cater to his business model, anymore than my customers care about my overhead costs.

I liked your view on the industry when I visited your store. You knew I was a flipper and you catered to me the same as everyone else and I hope I didn't hog up too much of your time. You had a large purchase clear out a bunch of your books right before I got there so I didn't find much to buy but you have a great store and its evident you run it well.

We obviously have some of the best comic shop owners in the industry on the boards who as a whole treat people the way they want to be treated. Unfortunately there are a ton of LCSs which "rob" from the pull boxes and put all hot books up on the wall rather then leaving some for their customers. I think this thread highlights why people should frequent high quality shops like the ones highlighted on the boards.

I liked your view on the industry when I visited your store. You knew I was a flipper and you catered to me the same as everyone else and I hope I didn't hog up too much of your time. You had a large purchase clear out a bunch of your books right before I got there so I didn't find much to buy but you have a great store and its evident you run it well.

I agree with both of you. Makes a lot of sense. Do what works for you, don't whine about it (on both sides). But if you've got a store, please be clear (and preferably consistent) with your rules.

Thanks! It's appreciated. Even after 31 years I still wish we could do better (we're pretty lousy when it comes to on-line selling... just never seem to get the time to put it together, but we're still hoping). But we do our best to walk the tightrope of being fair to both buyer and seller in our shop. I'm never going to get rich in this business, nor do I expect it. Shops that do try to take advantage of customers is a constant mystery to me... in the end you're really not talking about that much money anyway... so why destroy long-term relationships, the health of your business, and your own personal reputation over so little?

I think there's probably more good shops out there than people realize... it's like anything else... the bad apples get all of the attention and make it seem worse than it is.

how much of that $60K or so a month is new issue sales you expect to recoup that month?

LCS: if you are going to rob pull boxes make sure your customers understand that if a book is hot they won't be getting it in their pull box-don't make em find out the hard way after the fact. Make sure all parties know the terms of the contract dont unilaterally change it.