• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny X-men #173 Blue Background Variant

92 posts in this topic

Ok guys, sorry about the month long wait. Here are the pics. Thet are from a 5 megapixel camera (I couldn't get a scanner) - I'll probaby buy a scanner sometime this week b/c I need one anyways and make some more pics. I picked up another blue cover in Tampa, Fla this week while going to some Spring training camps, and it was a newstand version also.

The best difference I can tell without needing a picture is the extent to which wolverine's right "horn" on his mask blends with the background. The actual art for the cover has about a 1/2 inch scalloped portion of the mask where part of the horn is missing. On the "black" copies I have seen, the "horn" blends in and you can't really tell the missing part unless you look hard. On the blue copies, however, this sticks out like a sore thumb. Also, the artist's signature has a blue tint.

I doubt that this was a deliberate variant. If anything, it may exist on part of the run and then it was corrected, as the blue version just doesn't look right.

A side by side comparison in person will also allow for a difference to be easily discerned, but I realize this isn't available to everyone (nor are these pictures that great). I hope these comments help though. PM me or reply to this thread if you have anymore questions and I'll work on getting some better scans soon.

The comic on the left is the "blue" copy, while the comic on the right is the "black" copy. I circled some parts in paint, I hope this is of some benefit.