• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top 50 Individual Books in the Hobby...

42 posts in this topic

I thought I'd break this out since there was at least some interest buried in the thread about the Church Copy of Action #1. I post this here, since the majority of the books should be golden age (and the few Silver Age books likely to be included are a lot easier to identify.) Here's a relevant few posts on the idea...

It would be really cool if Matt's book included a 50 greatest pedigree issues or something like that with some nice full page images. Too bad the dentist won't share.

That would actually be an interesting list to put together. The top 50 books in the hobby...

1. Edgar Church Action 1

2. Allentown Detective #27

3. Edgar Church Marvel #1

what else?

The Church All American #16? The Allentown Captain America #1, the Edgar Church Flash #1 are a couple of notables that have been up for air in recent years. Some of the top SA books would make it on that list as well. Sounds like a forum project...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sounds interesting. Would they have to be pedigree books to qualify? Or would "Tom Brulato's copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8" be enough of an identifier?

I think it would have to be both pedigree and non-pedigree for a more representative survey, but we'd have to be somewhat specific for it to count. Your description would work. The problem area would be with non-pedigree ungraded books that don't have a public paper trail. "that 9+ Action 1 that rob heard about" wouldn't really cut it, I don't think.

Also mentioned were the Marvel Comics #1 Pay Copy and the Edgar Church copy of Whiz #2....

I'm going to take some time today at lunch to look through some of my auction catalogues (what a hardship grin.gif), etc. to jog my memory in terms of what's been out there in terms of public sales. Feel free to toss out books. I'm not really concerned with order. I just want to see how far we can get in terms of populating the list...

I thought I'd break this out since there was at least some interest buried in the thread about the Church Copy of Action #1. I post this here, since the majority of the books should be golden age (and the few Silver Age books likely to be included are a lot easier to identify.) Here's a relevant few posts on the idea...

It would be really cool if Matt's book included a 50 greatest pedigree issues or something like that with some nice full page images. Too bad the dentist won't share.

That would actually be an interesting list to put together. The top 50 books in the hobby...

1. Edgar Church Action 1

2. Allentown Detective #27

3. Edgar Church Marvel #1

what else?

The Church All American #16? The Allentown Captain America #1, the Edgar Church Flash #1 are a couple of notables that have been up for air in recent years. Some of the top SA books would make it on that list as well. Sounds like a forum project...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sounds interesting. Would they have to be pedigree books to qualify? Or would "Tom Brulato's copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8" be enough of an identifier?

I think it would have to be both pedigree and non-pedigree for a more representative survey, but we'd have to be somewhat specific for it to count. Your description would work. The problem area would be with non-pedigree ungraded books that don't have a public paper trail. "that 9+ Action 1 that rob heard about" wouldn't really cut it, I don't think.

Also mentioned were the Marvel Comics #1 Pay Copy and the Edgar Church copy of Whiz #2....

I'm going to take some time today at lunch to look through some of my auction catalogues (what a hardship grin.gif), etc. to jog my memory in terms of what's been out there in terms of public sales. Feel free to toss out books. I'm not really concerned with order. I just want to see how far we can get in terms of populating the list...

Can we do multiple copies of the same book? Like the Church copy of Detective 27 in addition to the Allentown? That makes sense to do it that way, I think.

I

I'm going to take some time today at lunch to look through some of my auction catalogues (what a hardship grin.gif), etc. to jog my memory in terms of what's been out there in terms of public sales.

Larson copy of Marvel Comics #1. White pages, graded by Sotheby's in 1997 at 84.

I

I'm going to take some time today at lunch to look through some of my auction catalogues (what a hardship grin.gif), etc. to jog my memory in terms of what's been out there in terms of public sales.

Larson copy of Marvel Comics #1. White pages, graded by Sotheby's in 1997 at 84.

Any idea who owns that book now? Are there any pictures available? Great thread. thumbsup2.gif

I

Any idea who owns that book now? Are there any pictures available? Great thread. thumbsup2.gif

I can scan it.

What criteria are you using to judge them? Estimated value or just condition? Are you talking strictly keys?

At this point I'm not judging anything. I'm just tossing books out there. That said, in my mind, the list should reflect the best copies of the biggest books. The easiest criteria upon which to judge THAT would probably be estimated value (of which condition is obviously a factor.) The list will be all keys and I can't imagine that it will be more than a dozen issues deep, with multiples taking up a majority of the spots.

Thanks to zillatoy I just got a big bump in terms of candidates... The hard part now is attaching condition notes to the below (if we care really care to try to rank these...)

here are a few others that i just jotted down while thinking about it:

Allentown Tec 27, 29, 38 Marvel 1, Cap 1,

Reilly - Batman 1, Cap 1, Det 27, Flash 1, More fun 52, 53

Church - Action 1, All-American 16, All-Star 3

Batman 1, Cap 1, Flash 1, Marvel 1, Tec 27, 33, 38

More fun 52, 53, Superman 1, Whiz 2

Denver - Detective 1, Marvel 1

Kansas City - Flash 1

Chicago Marvel 1

Pay copy - Marvel 1

Non-pedigreed

Tec 27 cgc 8.0, and 1 nicer one

Action 1 cgc 8.5 and 1 nicer one

Batman 1 cgc 9.0 (both)

Marvel #1 cgc 8.5

Superman 1 cgc 7.5

Silver

Spidey 1 cgc 9.8

Fantasy 15 cgc 9.6

Ff 1 cgc 9.6

Showcase 4 cgc 9.4

x-men 1 cgc 9.8

Kansas City - Flash 1

Chicago Marvel 1

Pay copy - Marvel 1

Non-pedigreed

Batman 1 cgc 9.0 (both)

Marvel #1 cgc 8.5

Superman 1 cgc 7.5

Silver

Spidey 1 cgc 9.8

Fantasy 15 cgc 9.6

Ff 1 cgc 9.6

Showcase 4 cgc 9.4

x-men 1 cgc 9.8

Young Allies #1 9.6 San Fransisco Copy

West

Kansas City - Flash 1

Chicago Marvel 1

Pay copy - Marvel 1

Non-pedigreed

Batman 1 cgc 9.0 (both)

Marvel #1 cgc 8.5

Superman 1 cgc 7.5

Silver

Spidey 1 cgc 9.8

Fantasy 15 cgc 9.6

Ff 1 cgc 9.6

Showcase 4 cgc 9.4

x-men 1 cgc 9.8

Young Allies #1 9.6 San Fransisco Copy

West

Pep # 22 and Archie # 1 Church copies

Thanks to zillatoy I just got a big bump in terms of candidates... The hard part now is attaching condition notes to the below (if we care really care to try to rank these...)

Kansas City - Flash 1

Chicago Marvel 1

Pay copy - Marvel 1

Non-pedigreed

Batman 1 cgc 9.0 (both)

Marvel #1 cgc 8.5

Superman 1 cgc 7.5

Silver

Spidey 1 cgc 9.8

Fantasy 15 cgc 9.6

Ff 1 cgc 9.6

Showcase 4 cgc 9.4

x-men 1 cgc 9.8

thats list has WAY too many Marvel#1s on it, If there are 6 killer copies to choose from, all 6 cant be on this exclusive list , can they?

thats list has WAY too many Marvel#1s on it, If there are 6 killer copies to choose from, all 6 cant be on this exclusive list , can they?

Nothing is set in stone at this point. I'm just trying to gather up some books...

That said, what do you think the sixth best copy would sell for? Are there 49 books that would sell for more than that copy? If the answer is no, then six it is...

sure, but the list is a neither the coolest books NOR the most valuable, in the first list there would only be one each of 50 comics. And in the second, the chips would fall as they may, value-wise, so there would (I guess) be all six, or more.

But this list is meant to be somewhere inbetween, so having 12% of the total list be Marvels #1s seems excessive, no matter how much anybody likes that book....dont you think?

Hmmm...maybe we should define exactly what the list is then, I was under the impression it was the 50 most valuable single issues.

If so, we might have to include the CGC 5.5, 6.5 and 7.5 Action #1s also, since the 5.5 already sold for nealry 125K, and the other two would certainly top that.

If it's a combination of the coolest and most valuable, I'm not sure where we are

(though to my defense I did mention the Pep #22 in my email to Rob today).

sure, but the list is a neither the coolest books NOR the most valuable, in the first list there would only be one each of 50 comics. And in the second, the chips would fall as they may, value-wise, so there would (I guess) be all six, or more.

But this list is meant to be somewhere inbetween, so having 12% of the total list be Marvels #1s seems excessive, no matter how much anybody likes that book....dont you think?

Quoted from earlier:

At this point I'm not judging anything. I'm just tossing books out there. That said, in my mind, the list should reflect the best copies of the biggest books. The easiest criteria upon which to judge THAT would probably be estimated value (of which condition is obviously a factor.) The list will be all keys and I can't imagine that it will be more than a dozen issues deep, with multiples taking up a majority of the spots.