• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about using an eraser on a book

12 posts in this topic

I just received a book that it looks like someone took an eraser to. They were trying to erase pencil and took color off the cover. Is this restoration? I thought it was but I can't find a definitive answer.

Thank you for your help

Thank you. The book is in rough condition which I knew beforehand. I was planning to submit it to stop any further damage but was worried it would come back with a purple label

I just received a book that it looks like someone took an eraser to. They were trying to erase pencil and took color off the cover. Is this restoration? I thought it was but I can't find a definitive answer.

Thank you for your help

Interesting question.

Here's one where someone tried to erase grease pencil. I had not thought of it as restoration. I wonder if it is by definition.

PH61Dec58F.jpg

The color loss from the erasing would be considered a defect and downgraded accordingly. Sadly most think they are making the book more valuable by cleaning it up. It is best to leave well enough alone.

Thank you for your help

Interesting question.

Here's one where someone tried to erase grease pencil. I had not thought of it as restoration. I wonder if it is by definition.

PH61Dec58F.jpg

Looks more like just a smudge of the grease pencil than an attempted erasure.