• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Read ASM 227-242......Review

5 posts in this topic

I'll start by saying I've never been an ASM fan. Silver Surfer offered to send me a bunch of reader copies starting from 227 to 248. The run was almost complete, but was missing several books. FFB sold me 238 and 239 at a very low price and I picked up a couple of copies from Darth in a trade (he also gave me a great deal). I picked up the final missing issue on Ebay for a few dollars (low grade). Having the complete run (227-248) I started reading them a couple of weeks ago.

I actually liked the JR JR "generic Marvel art" style better then his current style. The stories ranged from mildly entertaining to down right great. The Juggernaut battle issues were really a fun read (sorry, my memory is to bad to remember issue numbers) and I'd rate them an 8 out of 10 on the entertainment meter and 7 out of 10 on the "bang for the buck" meter. 238 and 239 were good from an historical stand point. I'd give the story in those issues a 6 out of 10 on the entertainment meter, forget about it on the bang for the buck meter, those issues are expensive. (sorry Scott). The other stories were all "ok", but I felt like I was missing a lot by not also reading Spectacular Spider-Man issues from the same time period (there were a lot of tie references to that title).

Anyway, all in all I've enjoyed what I've read so far and am looking forward to reading 243-248. Once I am done reading the entire run I'm going to run some kind of contest on the boards to give the books away so someone else that hasn't ever read them can. I'd like to hear ideas as to what kind of contest to run if you all have any.

Thanks to SS, FFB and Darth for helping me put the run together for close to nothing ($). thumbsup2.gif

howabout having folk create a cover for a TPB for the run? a sketch variant, CG or other medium...complete with price, logo, overwrought cover blurb and the like.

obviously, Red is out of luck on this one

I like the idea, but I'd like something less subjective. I could just pull names from a hat, or pick a numbers between 1-1,000. I don't want to do a grading contest.......maybe "what comic book was this quote from" or something like that....

Glad you enjoyed the books, I have NM copies of that run and the Spec run that coincides with it - trying to remember what was going on in Spec then 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another Spidey story arc that does not get a lot of attention, but that I liked a lot occured in Spec Spidey. Its the storyline between Tombstone and Robby - its a background story that builds to take center stage, sometime in the late 80s early 90s I forget the issue numbers, but I would bet its somewhere in the 130s. Thats after the ASM run you just read.