• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perceived rarity of newsstand editions?

86 posts in this topic

The short answer is: No newsstand books are "rare" and they don't sell for more than DM copies. (thumbs u

-J.

Newstand versions of many independent companies are very rare. Comico and Now, for just two examples, only distributed around Chicago, and the ratio of newsstand to direct is about 95-5.

I think we are mainly talking popular, mass produced copper age books by the big two.

Trying to say any of that stuff is "rare" or that newsstand copies sell for a "premium" over DM is, as I have demonstrated with a half dozen readily accessible data points, simply false.

Six data points? You must be exhausted after such an extensive search.

...and yet I am the only one who has provided any.

The carnival barking any myth-spinning that goes on around here sometimes is truly mind boggling. doh!

-J.

"I think we are mainly talking popular, mass produced copper age books by the big two. "

I sense movement of the flag-poles.

:popcorn:

-slym

Yes, this happens often. If one makes a statement which is easily disproved, one will just change the parameters of the conversation to make the statement "fit."

But the parameters of the original post were "perceived rarity of newsstand editions", which encompasses comics from 1977 to 2015., and not just "popular, mass produced copper age books by the big two", which the OP didn't say at all.

The short answer is: No newsstand books are "rare" and they don't sell for more than DM copies. (thumbs u

-J.

Newstand versions of many independent companies are very rare. Comico and Now, for just two examples, only distributed around Chicago, and the ratio of newsstand to direct is about 95-5.

I think we are mainly talking popular, mass produced copper age books by the big two.

Trying to say any of that stuff is "rare" or that newsstand copies sell for a "premium" over DM is, as I have demonstrated with a half dozen readily accessible data points, simply false.

Six data points? You must be exhausted after such an extensive search.

The data never lies......

Newstands sometimes get a slight increase. But also depends on book title and year.

But there are six data points to the contrary. :preach:

I wish I was a newstand edition,then I could be cool too! :cool:

Newstands sometimes get a slight increase. But also depends on book title and year.

And 0 to support the myth that you believe in. :headbang:

Point being, your myth is so easily busted because it is so easy to produce hard data points to blow it out of the water. lol

-J.

:gossip: ... :screwy:

"Sometimes" they do. "Sometimes" they don't. So then what does that mean?

It means nothing.

Because it is inconsistent and impossible to quantify. That would be my only point. Not so sure why a couple people get their knickers so much in a twist when someone so easily disputes their un-substantiated blanket statements. doh!

-J.

-J.

"un-substantiated blanket statements" :whistle:

Are there some collectors that pay more for newsstand editions than direct market editions?

Is there a group of niche collectors that really only collect newsstand editions?

The affirmative answers to those questions aren't "un-substantiated blanket statements." You flippantly saying "no newsstand books are 'rare' and they don't sell for more than DM copies" IS a "un-substantiated blanket statement." :makepoint:

If you want to change your stance to "the majority of casual comic collectors don't place any extra value on newsstand vs. direct market editions" I wouldn't argue with you.

But to just throw out a blanket statement that there is no difference in desirability and value is :screwy:

-J.

"un-substantiated blanket statements" :whistle:

Are there some collectors that pay more for newsstand editions than direct market editions?

Is there a group of niche collectors that really only collect newsstand editions?

The affirmative answers to those questions aren't "un-substantiated blanket statements." You flippantly saying "no newsstand books are 'rare' and they don't sell for more than DM copies" IS a "un-substantiated blanket statement." :makepoint:

If you want to change your stance to "the majority of casual comic collectors don't place any extra value on newsstand vs. direct market editions" I wouldn't argue with you.

But to just throw out a blanket statement that there is no difference in desirability and value is :screwy:

I never said that "some" people wouldn't (for whatever their personal reasons may be) pay more. If that is their thing, more power to them. They can pay more.

My point, as to the three "key", hot books that I randomly selected and cited (and countless others) is that there is no consistent or discernible differences observed in the general marketplace for prices. The perceived difference in "value" that you evidently have is simply not shared by the market as whole and so no significant or discernible difference in prices emerges.

-J.

My point, as to the three "key", hot books that I randomly selected and cited \-J.

How do you randomly select three key hot books...?

I guess, among the subset of key, hot books...but that's an awful narrow subset.

In any event...New Mutants #98 and ASM #300 were both produced in an era where the newsstand operated pretty much at parity with the Direct market, though it was certainly on the decline.

They are not useful examples for this discussion.

BA #12 is on the decline some more, but still, within the timeframe of widespread newsstand distribution.

Now...if you were to discuss, say....Random Key Marvel Book of 2006...if there will be such a thing...then yes, you will find that the newsstand versions of such a book...if it was printed at all...will be exceedingly rare, in any grade, compared to its DM counterpart.

So...no, it is not accurate in any way to say "No newsstand books are "rare" and they don't sell for more than DM copies."

That's simply not true.

The vast, vast, vast majority of newsstand books from 1999 to the present day are, with the exception of Archies (which thrives on the newsstand) exceedingly rare relative to the Direct market (and the DM at this point wasn't so hot, either.)

Someday, when someone gets the bug, they will attempt to gather all the newsstand versions of everything....and we may discover that some books from the late 90's/early 00's as newsstand versions are extant in the low 100s, if not the 10s.

Will it matter? Maybe. Probably not. Marvel and DC haven't created many characters in the last 20 years that have sparked the imagination.

Here's an example: NYX #3. If it exists as a newsstand at all, it will be excrutiatingly rare, and will, eventually, command a substantial premium. It may not exist.

Today there are five CGC 9.8's on e-bay, all are direct market BA12, I don't see any newsstand copies available in CGC 9.8.

I don't know if BA12 is a good or bad example of a newsstand vs. direct argument though.

I would think that as a TV property aimed at kids and cartoon watching man-babies that it might have sold more off the spinner rack than your average title but then I think of all the unsold books from the direct market that made it a treasure hunt book for years before it blew up & figure that would more than offset any greater than average newsstand sell through -if that actually happened (shrug)

Exactly like 70's Whitmans these books are not desirable until dealers that have been hoarding them start pimping them out. They are less common than their counterparts (but not rare) and a lot of comic collectors only want certain books when hype starts building, even though they are yesterday's dollar books they had zero interest in.

Yeah, that's the one that mystified me when I became more active again in my collecting pursuits. We considered the Whitman reprints as essentially worthless, something to fill a hole in your collection until a "real" copy came along.

Just to make sure I'm following along - I haven't paid attention to direct and newsstand for many years - we ARE talking about a difference in the little box on the cover, whether it says "Direct" or not, perhaps in the case of the '80s or '90s the presence or not of a bar code?

And there are people who care about such things?

:screwy: Takes all kinds, I suppose.

Just to make sure I'm following along - I haven't paid attention to direct and newsstand for many years - we ARE talking about a difference in the little box on the cover, whether it says "Direct" or not, perhaps in the case of the '80s or '90s the presence or not of a bar code?

And there are people who care about such things?

:screwy: Takes all kinds, I suppose.

There are some people that care about the price, like the guys who chase the covers with "35¢" instead of the more common "30¢" price on them. I mean, it is a one-number difference, a 5 instead of a 0. That's the only difference between the two.

So indeed - it does take all kinds! And they are all accepted.

:)

-slym