• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any comics/stories based in your small home town?

63 posts in this topic

No one cares about Dublin, CA. Dublin, OH is the money Dublin.

In fact, no one cares about the West Coast in general in comics. It's always about the East Coast.

:sumo:

And here is proof: "West Coast Avengers"

That's right...the West Coast was so rare in comics, they had to invent a special title for it, because East Coast is default.

DD operated out of San Fran for a while, and I think Spiderwoman did, too....but the ratio of stories that take place on the East Coast as opposed to the West is probably in the realm of 1000:1.

Not that it matters in any way whatsoever. Just something to chat about.

:D

Could be worse. You could be in the Great Lakes region

In fact, no one cares about the West Coast in general in comics. It's always about the East Coast.

That's right...the West Coast was so rare in comics, they had to invent a special title for it, because East Coast is default.

DD operated out of San Fran for a while, and I think Spiderwoman did, too....but the ratio of stories that take place on the East Coast as opposed to the West is probably in the realm of 1000:1.

Maybe its because we had Stan, Kirby, Ditko & trimpe

and you guys had Liefeld

There's a bunch of heroes on the west coast at this point. DD, Punisher, I think most of the Tunderbolts, the X-Men were there for a few years, and a few others that I know I'm blanking on.

Or you could even be operating solo....

Great Lakes Avengers

I liked when thor and asgard were in Oklahoma.

Runaways were in LA.

and you guys had Liefeld

Who are you talking to...? *I* had Byrne, Buscemas, Trimpe, Totleben, Bissette, Bolland, McFarlane, Art Adams, and BWS...Kirby and Ditko, too (Hunger Dogs, ROM #73 et al)

You need to change your sig line. It is a violation of board policy

Great Lakes Avengers

Yeah, that was the joke.

Great Lakes Avengers

Yeah, that was the joke.

Figured, that's why a link for those who didn't know what was being referenced.

and you guys had Liefeld

Who are you talking to...? *I* had Byrne, Buscemas, Trimpe, Totleben, Bissette, Bolland, McFarlane, Art Adams, and BWS...Kirby and Ditko, too (Hunger Dogs, ROM #73 et al)

lol well that didnt take long..

Just teasing ya relax

Dublin, Ireland doesn't get much comic coverage either.The most memorable for me was Cassidy's origin story set in Dublin in Preacher.

Great Lakes Avengers

Yeah, that was the joke.

Figured, that's why a link for those who didn't know what was being referenced.

If you have to explain the joke.....

and you guys had Liefeld

lol well that didnt take long..

Just teasing ya relax

Relaxed here. But your statement makes no sense. What do having Stan, Jack, Steva, and Herb vs. Liefeld have to do with comic book locales, specifically...?

:shrug:

But your sigline is a violation of board policy, and needs to be changed.

you guys have forest fires and earthquakes, super villians tearing up your cities would be too much for californians to handle as the whole reason for living out there for most people is to take it easy and not do much work.

Living in Upstate NY it was very common for me to recognize many of the locales depicted therein as having a least visited. Staten Island,Westchester etc...

Probably the most memorable was issue #12 of G.I. Joe Special Missions that took off from an airfield in my region. I remember reading it and just having my mind blown as panel after panel showed places nearby my home town that I visit regularly. The Accord speedway, the Mohonk Moutain house and fire tower. I still regularly pass through the Shawangunk Mountain range for my job. The were too many places to recall but all were in the Hudson River Valley were I have lived most of my life.

I really had a laugh when I read that one. Not my home town but pretty close. lol

Not a comic, but the book "I love you, Beth Cooper" was set in my home town (Buffalo Grove, IL) and largely takes place at my former high school (BGHS). Beth's house was about three blocks from my house.

Not a comic, but the book "I love you, Beth Cooper" was set in my home town (Buffalo Grove, IL) and largely takes place at my former high school (BGHS). Beth's house was about three blocks from my house.

BEAT THAT!

Cool story, I like that one!

BEAT THAT!

Cool story, I like that one!

If only they filmed the movie there, but I just checked IMDB and it was all filmed up in Canada (I already knew it wasn't filmed on location in BG).

There was a panel in TWD where they were traveling on the highway. It was the setting image of a spot I used to commute past. The signs were spot on and everything. It was just outside of DC when they were traveling. It was a pretty neat moment.

The issue of Spawn that was written by Dave Sim had Cerebus and Spawn walking the streets of Kitchener, Ontario. It is Sim's hometown, and I live in its adjacent borough of Waterloo.