• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any comics/stories based in your small home town?

63 posts in this topic

Pleasanton, CA is a nice area. Stayed there while working at Sandia.

Patricia Briggs is the author of Mercy Thompson and lives in the Tri-Cities (Pasco, Kenniwick, Richland, WA). She makes numerous references in her books (which includes comics and graphic novels) to the area including the Hanford site (former DOE weapons complex). What's interesting is figuring out which place she's referencing when she talks about an old bookstore or the local mall. Also, one of the wolves on a comic she recently released is the huge dog that's usually lying around the local LCS.

Heres one to derail this thread..anyone ever done a google search on a comic book and found their own posts from these boards? Cracked me up.

Yes. Mainly when I've tried to research various shows and the top search result ends up being my board post on that very show.

That's weird that you should mention it. I just read the Spiderman/Superman Treasury, and the max security pen they put Doc Ock and Lex Luthor in is located in Deming, NM, a tiny southwestern town of around 10,000 people that I grew up in. It was pretty weird reading it in print.

resident of Deming from '85-'87 :hi:

What's up! My folks still live in Deming, and we visited over Christmas. I don't think there's a drier or more wind-blown place. I can't say I would like to live there, but it is weird to go back and see how little has changed.

The prices for silver and gold at my local LCS here in Michigan compares

with those at Milehighcomics

How much do avocados cost at your grocery store?

On 5/4/2015 at 11:01 PM, slym2none said:

A similar thread over in the WC got me thinking - do you know of any comics that are based in, or have stories that take place, in your small home town? The big cities get a pass as they are too easy (plus NYC is the center of the Marvel Universe for the most part), but what about Schenectady NY? Or Paducah IL?

I can't think of any stories set in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area of NC myself, but maybe someone in here has an example of their little home town. If so, please share!

-slym

I have been reading alot of X-men comics lately.

On the last page of the last panel of X-men #96 Red Hook New York is mentioned. I went to elementary school in Red Hook NY.  In fact it is right near Bard College which is also mentioned in Uncanny X-men during the Inferno event. 

I figured it would happen eventually considering Chris Claremont went to Bard. Annandale-on-Hudson  is an absolutely minuscule town around 100 miles from NYC. Red Hook is not much bigger.

A guy we knew who worked selling comics at curious book store in East Lansing Mi in the 70's loved comic so much and wrote so many letters to the editors that he was mentioned by first name and given a panel  (as a janitor) in a Superman issue

The employees name was Pepe and i can't remember too many of the particulars but i could probably find out because the store is still there with the original owner named Ray

Edited by 1950's war comics

The first dozen or so issues of Captain Marvel (and his two try-out stories in Marvel Super-Heroes) were set in Cape Canaveral.  I grew up right next door in Cocoa Beach and I went to elementary school in Cape Canaveral.  I remember being a bit disappointed because it didn't really look like the Cape Canaveral I knew.  I suppose Gene Colan didn't have many reference photos of the Space Center or the area.

I was kinda used to it, since I Dream of Jeannie was also set in the Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach area, and other than a stock photo shot of the missile display at Patrick Air Force Base, the show didn't accurately represent the region. 

AFTAC2.jpg.a4876834f3c21494f3737e9932aa3757.jpg

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

A guy we knew who worked selling comics at curious book store in East Lansing Mi in the 70's loved comic so much and wrote so many letters to the editors that he was mentioned by first name and given a panel  (as a janitor) in a Superman issue

The employees name was Pepe and i can't remember too many of the particulars but i could probably find out because the store is still there with the original owner named Ray

was it that story the man with the x ray mind in Action 403?

Story has it that owner of Curious book store Ray sold all his comics to Harley Yee about 20 years ago and concentrated on just books and magazines, he has three floors of great vintage reading material of all types except no more comics... right in the middle of downtown MSU campus with 40,000 students but everytime i go there the store in nearly empty these days as young kids don'y buy books or magazines anymore... i don't know how he stays in business, rent has to be a fortune. i hear Ray also has a couple storage barns full of hardcover books and such...