• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Responding to low-ball offers on EBAY

88 posts in this topic

I've sold various items on ebay over the years, mainly video games and electronics, and always list them BIN with the offer option. When I get a lowball offer, I don't respond. When I get an offer in the ballpark I'm looking for, I give it a day just to wait out getting my full price from another buyer. If no other higher offer or flat out purchase, I will sell it to the person in my ballpark. I've hardly ever had to do any counteroffers on items that I sell and the majority of the time, the person who submitted an offer in my ballpark, will buy it for full price before I give the mandatory day before accepting. It seems that people are too worried about someone coming in and making the purchase after their offer, that they will go ahead and pay full price, that has been my experience at least.

+1

-slym

I've sold various items on ebay over the years, mainly video games and electronics, and always list them BIN with the offer option. When I get a lowball offer, I don't respond. When I get an offer in the ballpark I'm looking for, I give it a day just to wait out getting my full price from another buyer. If no other higher offer or flat out purchase, I will sell it to the person in my ballpark. I've hardly ever had to do any counteroffers on items that I sell and the majority of the time, the person who submitted an offer in my ballpark, will buy it for full price before I give the mandatory day before accepting. It seems that people are too worried about someone coming in and making the purchase after their offer, that they will go ahead and pay full price, that has been my experience at least.

Yeah, that's pretty much my method, too. Occasionally I have messed up, looking to wait the full two days that you have to respond to an offer, then forget about it until after the offer expires. doh!

I believe in the best offer and for what it's worth I am 6 for 7 on my last 7 counteroffers. The one that didn't sell was from a "buyer" in Australia and I had a feeling when I told him I would discount the shipping from $56US to $40US he wasn't going to be interested...

if they just make the offer, but without an obnoxious note telling you how crazy your are for your BIN price, i don't see the harm in a counter-offer closer to reality. if they have the obnoxious note it isn't worth bothering with.

I might of mentioned this on another thread, I always declined with no comment

I had an item listed for $199.99 and I was offered $5.00, I just declined right away and it should of been the end of that

I get an email saying that I did not take the time to consider his offer. I remember that it took me 13 seconds after he offered for me to decline it, I guess I wasn't fast enough.

I wish I saved that message, this must of been 8 years ago

I've made several sales to people that started a low-ball offers.

And for that reason I actually don't like auto decline and never use it. Someone bidding on a book or a lot I have is someone interested in buying it... and even a low-ball offer is the start of a negotiation.

I'll usually respond to a low-ball with my bottom-line price, and then see what happens.

Some just decline or let it sit there... but others will then engage in negotiation. If they up their offer my counter will be the same counter I made the first time, and in that instance I'll put a note stating that I'm sorry but that it's as low as I'm willing to go... and sometimes that leads to a sale.

So is it easier to just use auto-decline? Sure. But there's no doubt in my mind you're costing yourself some sales.

Yes I think your right, but how much is your time worth? You see the struggle?

What is the consensus here to respond to "best" offers on EBAY when they are less than 50% of a reasonable BIN price? Is it rude to let it just die it's 3 day death? Or should one always respond?

I don't use OBO often but I will enter the lowest I would consider and then offers below it are auto rejected

What is the consensus here to respond to "best" offers on EBAY when they are less than 50% of a reasonable BIN price? Is it rude to let it just die it's 3 day death? Or should one always respond?

I don't use OBO often but I will enter the lowest I would consider and then offers below it are auto rejected

My favorites are significantly over-priced books with OBO limits that are less than 5% off when FMV is >20% less than their list price.

Listed a book today at $2,499.99 OBO with free priority shipping. Although the auto reject function is turned on I saw one was rejected so I check to see what it was.

$10 rejected offer with a message that says "This book isn't worth $29".

I'm still not sure if I should be laughing or irritated.

Just tried to buy something that was listed as $69.99 OBO. Offered $35.00, sell counter-offered with $68.00... So I tried again at $45.00 and they countered with $65.00... I quit after that.

:shrug:

I expected a counter-offer around $50ish and hopefully we could come to a deal. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I don't understand someone who has a "best offer" listed on their deal if their default counter is $1.99 off their original listing of $69.99. Some people just want to see the world burn.

wow what is the book?
Walking Dead #100 "Lucille Edition" CGC 9.8 SS.

Yes that's the one. I was a bit unsure of what to list it at so I picked a few experienced TWD boardie brains for help. I don't have the best offer option active just to have it; but $10, that's just uncalled for.

Just tried to buy something that was listed as $69.99 OBO. Offered $35.00, sell counter-offered with $68.00... So I tried again at $45.00 and they countered with $65.00... I quit after that.

I expected a counter-offer around $50ish and hopefully we could come to a deal. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I don't understand someone who has a "best offer" listed on their deal if their default counter is $1.99 off their original listing of $69.99. Some people just want to see the world burn.

This makes me so angry I want to do something stupid.

Some sellers see an offer of 50% the listed price as an insult