• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Responding to low-ball offers on EBAY

88 posts in this topic

Just tried to buy something that was listed as $69.99 OBO. Offered $35.00, sell counter-offered with $68.00... So I tried again at $45.00 and they countered with $65.00... I quit after that.

:shrug:

I expected a counter-offer around $50ish and hopefully we could come to a deal. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I don't understand someone who has a "best offer" listed on their deal if their default counter is $1.99 off their original listing of $69.99. Some people just want to see the world burn.

Some sellers see an offer of 50% the listed price as an insult

Then they should realize plenty of other sellers accept a 50% off offer. It's no insult it's a legitimate offer that sometimes gets accepted.

Sellers that accept 50% of their listed price, have a BS listed price, or they're desperate.

So should I message them first asking hey are you desperate?

What's the proper protocol?

What ever works for you is the proper protocol.

I do think some negative reaction to offers of 50% of asking price is normal, and to be expected.

I have had both the guy who gets angry and counters with 1 cent off asking and the guy who accepts my 50% offer. Since I have no idea ahead of time which way it will go all I can do is do what sometimes works and wish the 1c guys would understand.

It's like picking up chicks, man-just cause you get shot down 3 times you stop forever?

That's not 'the Attitude'....

mikedamon.jpg

That's how I got my FF 19 for $20!

So there one centers!!!!!!

There is something on ebay right now listed at $100. Going price for this item is generally $10-$15. And there are multiple listings for the same exact item right now. And the cherry on top is shipping is listed at triple what it should be.

They do have the make an offer enabled. hm

There is something on ebay right now listed at $100. Going price for this item is generally $10-$15. And there are multiple listings for the same exact item right now. And the cherry on top is shipping is listed at triple what it should be.

They do have the make an offer enabled. hm

the trap might be the shipping cost--- any offer is independent of the shipping charge. That might fool someone thinking they can offer FMV and then realize they have to pay a crazy shipping fee. Not the best practice for someone who cares about the future sales but I doubt anyone trying it cares.

Some will argue that much of this is a moot point... i.e. if something is listed too high, you don't have to buy it... they're right, but this is annoying. Overpriced listings litter the online market place with trash.

Personally, I find it highly irritating that sellers list their books for 50%-80% above FMV. I understand 10% or even 13% because of eBay and PayPal fees, but beyond that, they're waiting for the unsuspecting, ignorant buyer, who knows nothing of comic values to come along and hit BIN.

This one moronic buyer starts a snowball effect whereas future sellers see that a book they're listing sold $300 over FMV and they think, 'hmm, if he got $300 more than FMV, I can get $300+ more than FMV'... and so on and so forth the cycle continues.

I love when eBay sends me a 5x Bucks promo and I can't use it because even with 5x Bucks I'm still overpaying by $50 doh!

Yes, it does happen. Fishermen sit out all day in the hot sun, day after day, waiting for the big fish, don't they? Comic sellers on eBay do the same thing... waiting for the big one :whatev:

On the one hand you have crazy eBay sellers ,and on the other you have crazy Kijiji or CL buyers who want 90%+ off FMV... us sane ones are somewhere in the middle...