• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Were there two Green Hornet 29s in the Big Apple Collection???

8 posts in this topic

Okay,

Lets open another can of worms. I am posting two scans of CGC graded Green Hornet 29s. Both labels claim to be from the Big Apple collection. Does anyone know if there were two copies of this book in the collection? One is on Ebay right now, the other on Comiclink. Comiclink also has a second Green Hornet from the Big Apple. Look at the difference in page quality of the two!

Any help is greatly appriciated, especially from CGC!!!

confused.gif

Comiclink Copy

mygh29.jpg

Ebay Copy

green_hornet29.jpg

I've become curious about the Big Apples recently because I've been attending auctions at a location in Oceanside, New York and the guy who runs the auction house has been 'bringing the Big Apple collection to market', for years apparently.

The books designated 'from the Big Apple Collection' in his sales are voluminous and there seems to be no real distinguishing features since they're not all high grade and the page quality varies as well. I've seen books with popped staples 'from the Big Apple...', water stained books 'from the Big Apple...', I've seen long runs of Atlas, Marvels, Gold Key, King Features, etc. books all 'from the Big Apple...'.

Seeing a lot of the books they're selling as Big Apples in person, my conclusion is that the Big Apple Collection, while a big collection and spanning lots of years, is not a real pedigree in the sense that it is made up of nice high grade runs of books.

Who can elaborate on this collection?

Which auction house has been doing this? Am I correct in presuming the books you saw were not slabbed by CGC? Have you inquired with the auction house?

Mark

Esquirecomics.com

All raw books from Philip Weiss Auctions. Vince from Metropolis attended a few that I was at and was buying them like it was Christmas morning(!), so I can only assume that the seller is legitimately connected to the owner of the BA collection and this auction house is the 'source' for the books to get into market circulation.

As I said, apparently Phil has been bringing these BA books to market for quite a few years, so presumably some of the local dealers (long island and NYC) know more about this than I do since I'm a johnny come lately to these sales. Certainly Metropolis at least, there must be others as well - bob storms?, bechara?