• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detectives on Heritage

7 posts in this topic

Wow, I was tracking the nice run of Detectives (issues 28-36) and am surprised to see the prices realized. Especially the Detective 35. It was a cgc 2.5 with tape down the spine. Guides for $1,250 and sold for roughly $3,500. Does this seem high, or is this the going rate for some of these books? I was hoping to bid on something but got priced out of it rather quickly.

If a low grade book such as this consistently sells for 3 times guide, does Overstreet note this and start adjusting their price guide? If not, what are they basing their estimates on?

If a low grade book such as this consistently sells for 3 times guide, does Overstreet note this and start adjusting their price guide? If not, what are they basing their estimates on?

Same ol' 10% price increase they have been using every year since 1970 confused-smiley-013.gif

I had bids in on 4 of the pre-Batman Detectives, and was still the high bidder on 2 of them 90 minutes before the auction ended. But nope, didn't get any, nor did I even finish as the high underbidder.

I know those comics are priced through the roof now (compared even to what I could buy them for 2 years ago), and I tried to bid accordingly, but no dice. Oh well, I guess that's money saved for something else later.

I was doing something very similar and didn't even try to bid. I was especially interested in the 29 and 38, but the price went to a point where I didn't feel I had a shot at anything. Same is true for many of the Batmans.

I was looking at the #29 (sweet book, but knowing I could never afford it) so i was targeting the #35. I thought it would sell for $2,000 maybe. Boy was I wrong. On the bright side, I guess it is good to see some hard to find low grade golden age books getting the attention they deserve.

I looked at some, but the 6 and the 18 are brittle, so I passed. Also, I try to avoid what I call "Collection Hysteria." Whenever a seemingly new collection comes up for sale or auction, people go nuts. Happens on ebay, and at the auction houses. I would rather wait and buy a single book here and there to complete my run.

Especially given the "famous" Northern Lights collection is just a guy that bought the books over the last 4 or 5 years and is now selling all of them. I am guessing the way Heritage presents this collection makes it sound like the guy bought them when they were new.