• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doing my part to keep your NM comics that much rarer...

27 posts in this topic

So we've all been guilty of it at one time or another, so let's hear your horror stories of those moments where you've accidentally damaged your books.

For all of you sitting on your New52 Batman #1, rest assured there's one less Mint copy out in the world as my copy fell from the stack I was transporting back to the longbox last month and it fell into the cat's water dish. It was in a bag and backer, but lucky me...when it landed, it hit corner first and ruptured the side seam to let all of that water inside the bag.

Oh well...it still reads the same, just a little wavier.

Looking on the bright side, at least I have a copy to read in the bath tub if I'm ever so inclined.

I found a really nice copy of New Mutants Annual #2 at a comic store in Myrtle Beach last summer. I graded it at a 9.6, maybe 9.8, paid $2 for it. I drove home and promptly dropped it on the bottom left corner on the kitchen table. It was bagged and boarded but It still created a noticeable ding. I submitted it anyways and it graded a 9.4. That is the one that stands out the most in recent memory anyways...

Not my story, but someone on the Valiant boards posted this recently:

Night before moving day. Box of 9.8 raws falls out of van upside down, along with a box of slabs. Golds were in the raws. Ah, what to do? Throw the little pieces of broken plastic in the box and think about it another day.

Had a beautiful NM/MT copy of Mahattan Projects #2 with the black cover. On a nice humid,summery day I decide to transfer the comic from a plastic bag to a nice crystal clear Mylar bag. I do the one thumb upside down drag motion so the comic doesn't touch all my fingers. As soon as my thumb touches the comic it sticks to it like it was wet asphalt. My thumbprint forever remains on that comic. To this day I wear either vinyl or cotton gloves when I handle my comics.

So we've all been guilty of it at one time or another, so let's hear your horror stories of those moments where you've accidentally damaged your books.

For all of you sitting on your New52 Batman #1, rest assured there's one less Mint copy out in the world as my copy fell from the stack I was transporting back to the longbox last month and it fell into the cat's water dish. It was in a bag and backer, but lucky me...when it landed, it hit corner first and ruptured the side seam to let all of that water inside the bag.

Looking on the bright side, at least I have a copy to read in the bath tub if I'm ever so inclined.

lol

At least you can laugh about it now, but I bet you were one big cussing machine...

Not my story, but someone on the Valiant boards posted this recently:

Night before moving day. Box of 9.8 raws falls out of van upside down, along with a box of slabs. Golds were in the raws. Ah, what to do? Throw the little pieces of broken plastic in the box and think about it another day.

Oh, that makes my stomach hurt....

Does your cat's breath smell like cat food...?

(You know what's REALLY weird...? The Simpson's are now "mom and dad's TV show"... :o )

Does your cat's breath smell like cat food...?

(You know what's REALLY weird...? The Simpson's are now "mom and dad's TV show"... :o )

And Mötley Crüe is classic rock :headbang:

Had a beautiful NM/MT copy of Mahattan Projects #2 with the black cover. On a nice humid,summery day I decide to transfer the comic from a plastic bag to a nice crystal clear Mylar bag. I do the one thumb upside down drag motion so the comic doesn't touch all my fingers. As soon as my thumb touches the comic it sticks to it like it was wet asphalt. My thumbprint forever remains on that comic. To this day I wear either vinyl or cotton gloves when I handle my comics.

My wife takes endless pleasure in giving me a hard time when I break out my box of Nitrile Exam Gloves to read comics.

Get rid of the cat . . . :sumo:

:jokealert:

I've ruined my fair share of comics in the past, that's for sure.

My most heinous example was listing a Tales of Suspense #99 in NM shape no Ebay, running it for a week, and bids had it up over $100. I then get an email asking for a photo of the back inside cover, odd request, but I do what I can when listed on ebay (which I no longer do), but anyway..

I untapped the bag, pull the comic slightly out and WHAM!, my hand slips, the back flap and tape flips onto the front of the comic, so I gently pull the tape off, along with the front cover creating a huge tear int the comic. I had to cancel the auction and relist it as damaged, think I got $9 for it. :(

My wife takes endless pleasure in giving me a hard time when I break out my box of Nitrile Exam Gloves to read comics.

lol...better to hear her laugh than to hear yourself cry if you damaged one of your comics.

Back in college in the 80's, I was holding a NM Batman comic (from the Batman Year One series, I think) and my girlfriend grabbed one end of it and tried to play tug of war. Funny thing, no one's seen my girlfriend since then...

You've all heard the story of the Action Comics #1 that was being used as insulation, right?

Article to Action Comics #1

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/06/action-comics-1-found-in-wall-of-house-sells-for-175000/

Unrelated:

One of my cats knocked over a stack of comics released in the Summer of 2013.

It caused corner damage to 20 Sheltered #1s. doh!

Got a FF 45 pressed, had it sitting on a shelf same day....bumped into it and the comic fell hitting the floor, putting a crease into the front cover.

Had a FF #5 a few years back, tape flopped onto the cover and I pulled it without thinking....ripped off a nice chunk.

Got a FF 45 pressed, had it sitting on a shelf same day....bumped into it and the comic fell hitting the floor, putting a crease into the front cover.

Had a FF #5 a few years back, tape flopped onto the cover and I pulled it without thinking....ripped off a nice chunk.

Ouch....I always take the tape completely off the bag as I did the same thing on 90's stuff years ago.