• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crippen "D Copy" Question

8 posts in this topic

I can't seem to find an answer to this, so thought I'd ask here. Is the "D" marking always on the front cover, or is it ever on the back?

I ask because I was scanning a few books getting ready to sell, and noticed similar markings on the back of all three. Looking around a bit, I found some stuff about the Crippen books, but all the scans I could find either had the markings on the front, or didn't have any markings on the front but no back scans.

I doubt these books are Crippen's - there isn't any markings on the first page, either - but I thought I would ask to be sure.

Here's the back cover scans:

Coo%20Coo%20Comics54back_zpsrtzwgvs9.jpg

Justice013back_zpsi8hm4q1a.jpg

All-Time%20Sports7back_zpsitu1mqug.jpg

This is my Crippen comic, the D is similar in the second book you posted. First and third are not D copies, IMO.

The first one looks like an "a"

"A" is also a very common marking on Crippens.

Heritage shows they have sold both the Coo Coo Comics #54 and All-Time Sports Comics #7 and there is a scan of the latter:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-time-sports-comics-7-davis-crippen-d-copy-pedigree-hillman-publications-1949-condition-vf-baseball-cover-art/a/16112-16015.s

Many of the comics from this collection have a code on the first page. Did you check?

Yeah, you must have missed it in my first post, none of these have anything written on the first page.

"A" is also a very common marking on Crippens.

Heritage shows they have sold both the Coo Coo Comics #54 and All-Time Sports Comics #7 and there is a scan of the latter:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-time-sports-comics-7-davis-crippen-d-copy-pedigree-hillman-publications-1949-condition-vf-baseball-cover-art/a/16112-16015.s

Thanks. Unless it somehow healed that wound on the "L", the book I have isn't that one.