• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No More Mutants or how Marvel continues to mess with Fox

131 posts in this topic

It's time quit comics.

My theory to enjoy comics is to use

Secret Wars and Crisis of Infinite Earths has to when both the Marvel and DC Universes we cared about ended! :sick:

Everything else after is big What ifs and Imaginary Stories.

Go in thinking like this, and trust me you will enjoy the modern comics much more. :)

Continuity in both the Marvel and DC Universes died in the mid-80s.

I blame Ron Perelman.

^^ The fact is that Marvel's behavior is quite rational. It is a subsidiary of a large public company that is in the business of making money for its shareholders. Why is Marvel publishing going to promote characters whose film rights are held by a competitor studio? Ultimately none of this is happening if the film rights weren't sold to 3 or 4 different studios in such a Balkanized fashion -- all because of Marvel's distressed financial condition in the late 90s.

One silver lining to the multi-studio mess is that with Fox starting hard and fast with the X-Men franchise, and doing generally a good job at it, and then Sony firing up on the Raimi Spidey franchise, it compelled Marvel to get its act together on doing movies for its movie characters. That early competition -- i.e., the "precedent" of 3 X-Men movies, 2 Spidey movies and 2 FF movies that were released before that first Iron Man movie -- was good for Marvel Studios because it was able to judge what worked and didn't work.

The fact is that Marvel's behavior is quite rational.

Sure, for a 2 year-old having a tantrum.

cause focusing your energies on what makes you money after losing control of your most popular assets by going bankrupt is a tantrum....

Comics basically support films since the companies don't make much money from print.

They make nothing from new comic sales, and the only reason that they are still on the LCS stands is to maintain the illusion that comic books are still a viable market with the "growth demographics" and keep all those investor dollars flowing into Disney.

Not sure about this, but a thing I am not sure of is what Walt Disney would think of Disney, Now, more than of Marvel Now. ;)

This is nothing compared to how the FF have been treated, so shut yer yaps Mutie-lovers.

Huh? Chip, did I miss something?

If you allude to the "cancellation" I am not worried at all. In fact, these late issues are pretty decent compared to the liberties taken on the characters for a number of years.

And yes, I still don’t think Valeria makes much sense as a character, but let’s see… :lol:

Comics basically support films since the companies don't make much money from print.

They make nothing from new comic sales, and the only reason that they are still on the LCS stands is to maintain the illusion that comic books are still a viable market with the "growth demographics" and keep all those investor dollars flowing into Disney.

Not sure about this, but a thing I am not sure of is what Walt Disney would think of Disney, Now, more than of Marvel Now. ;)

Well, Walt is long dead, but I think it's fair to speculate that his heirs are very pleased with what DIS (NYSE) has become today. (Sadly, to the point that their is in-fighting among the heirs over who is entitled to how much.)

cause focusing your energies on what makes you money after losing control of your most popular assets is a tantrum....

Yes, if you do so in a vindictive, petty type of "scorch the Earth" deal, like a nerd taking a pen-knive to his basketball after being dunked on, then yes, definitely. Corporate entities are like people, some are good, some are bad, and some behave like spoiled little princesses.

And the funniest thing about Disney's latest tantrum is that it accomplishes absolutely nothing. Fox still has the rights to the X-Men and Wolverine, their enemies and all existing mutants, all in writing. Retconning all mutants into sex-changed symbiotes from the planet Narnia would do nothing to change that.

And as we all realize, today's Marvel Comics are about as important to pop culture as the flea on the bump on Wolverine's butt. It's the movies and the collective consciousness of decades of comic book adventures that drive the popularity of these characters, not what low-selling drek sits on the shelves today. So Wolverine is dead, who cares? Did his last movie tank? Is Hulk 181 suddenly a bargain bin comic? Huh?

Fox could keep making Wolverine and X-Men movies until the cows come home, and this little "Disney flip-out" won't matter a bit. All it does is make corporate Disney look like a spoiled little brat.

cause focusing your energies on what makes you money after losing control of your most popular assets is a tantrum....

Yes, if you do so in a vindictive, petty type of "raze the ground" deal, like a nerd taking a pen-knive to his basketball after being dunked on, then yes, definitely. Corporate entities are like people, some are good, some are bad, and some behave like spoiled little princesses.

And the funniest thing about Disney's latest tantrum is that it accomplishes absolutely nothing. Fox still has the rights to the X-Men and Wolverine, their enemies and all existing mutants, all in writing. The movies and the collective consciousness of decades of comic book adventures drive the popularity of these characters, not what drek sits on the shelves today. So Wolverine is dead, who cares? Is Hulk 181 a bargain bin comic? Huh?

Fox could keep making Wolverine and X-Men movies until the cows come home, and this little "Disney flip-out" won't matter a bit. All it does is make corporate Disney look like a spoiled little brat.

you honestly think all the very smart people at marvel and Disney and all the shareholders are just throwing a fit, and have no plan to make that will make a difference?

For right or wrong, you can't see the logic in pushing Inhumans (which they own all of) over the X-Men (which they do not own the very lucrative movie rights to)?

I'm not saying emotion was completely removed from the equation, but to dismiss the entire notion as ill-founded and useless seems well....ill-founded, and purposefully short-sighted, in a way that you claim marvel to be.

Yes, if you do so in a vindictive, petty type of "raze the ground" deal, like a nerd taking a pen-knive to his basketball after being dunked on, then yes, definitely. Corporate entities are like people, some are good, some are bad, and some behave like spoiled little princesses.

And the funniest thing about Disney's latest tantrum is that it accomplishes absolutely nothing. Fox still has the rights to the X-Men and Wolverine, their enemies and all existing mutants, all in writing. The movies and the collective consciousness of decades of comic book adventures drive the popularity of these characters, not what drek sits on the shelves today. So Wolverine is dead, who cares? Is Hulk 181 a bargain bin comic? Huh?

you honestly think all the very smart people at marvel and Disney and all the shareholders are just throwing a fit, and have no plan to make that will make a difference?

For right or wrong, you can't see the logic in pushing Inhumans (which they own all of) over the X-Men (which they do not own the very lucrative movie rights to)?

I'm not saying emotion was completely removed from the equation, but to dismiss the entire notion as ill-founded and useless seems well....ill-founded, and purposefully short-sighted, in a way that you claim marvel to be.

What they do in the comics has no basis on how Fox will devise their business plan. They're not getting the rights back until the movie franchise is dead like Daredevil and Punisher. Those movies tanking had nothing to do with the comics. There was no amount of retconning or cancellations that caused the license to revert to Marvel. Fox already has over 50 years of storyboards (comics) to work with; they don't need any more.

I understand pushing the Inhumans; they are Marvel's replacement mutants. But it appears that, at this point, the tail is wagging the dog. The movies are having far more influence over these properties than the comics. Is that good? Will that stifle creativity? I think it might. The only recent comics I've found truly entertaining and substantive have been creator-owned, and they have definitely not been published by Marvel Comics.