• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spine Stress...how does it affect the grade.

9 posts in this topic

Say you just bought a Batman 608. It has sharp corners and very good cover. Now say that same book has 2 small 1/16" spine stresses, how does that affect the grade? I am still trying to figure out this grading mess....

-Jeremy-

Don't think that could be enough information to grade a comic in general, but I have some CGC comics that were graded down to a VF that had 2 small spine stresses and one damaged corner. I've also heard of some of the members coming across a 9.2 which had only a couple small cracks. Maybe "generally" it would be safe to say that if the comic ONLY had the two stress cracks and all else was ok, 9.0 - 9.2? Whatcha guys think?

CCG tends to grade modern books like a Batman #608 pretty harshly, IMO. Any noticeable defect is likely to affect the grade. They tend to be a little more easy-going once you get back to 70's-80's comics, I've found.

If the book is perfect other than the two spine stresses, it would come down to how pronounced they are - if they break color and are easily noticeable at a glance. I can see a book like you describe coming back a 9.2 NM-. NM 9.4 is probably the best you could hope for, IMO.

nina - you wiseacre... tongue.gif

I didn't want to get into the qualifying of non-color breaking stresses or crow's feet, or spider lines, but in this case it is a modern book hypothetically being submitted. Any spinal creases/flaws will take it down automatically. There should not be any blatant creases on a 9.8; maybe one on a 9.6; given the description of the creases on this Batman 608, my best estimation was a CGC 9.2 white pages... which my original reply of "9.2" succintly and accurately covered wink.gif