• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Story # 1

15 posts in this topic

I've been looking for a copy of Strange Story # 1 published by Harvey in 1946, along with it's "sister" title Front Page Comics # 1.

Does anyone know much about this book ? I can't even find a scan of it, it must be one of the few not shown on comics.org.

According to OSPG, it contains The Man in Black Called Fate by Bob Powell, and Heritage sold the original artwork to a story called "Introducing the Devil" in 2012 which they say was either published in that book or was never published at all, but other than that...nada.

I've been looking for a copy of Strange Story # 1 published by Harvey in 1946, along with it's "sister" title Front Page Comics # 1.

Does anyone know much about this book ? I can't even find a scan of it, it must be one of the few not shown on comics.org.

According to OSPG, it contains The Man in Black Called Fate by Bob Powell, and Heritage sold the original artwork to a story called "Introducing the Devil" in 2012 which they say was either published in that book or was never published at all, but other than that...nada.

I recently finished working on my own reference guide for comics (in-house use only)... now this is not definitive... and I don't recall the exact path of research I went through... but here are the conclusions I have in my notes...

"Strange Story ... probably does not exist... there is a cover page of original art known, but there appears to be no actual comic... probably produced as "Front Page Comics" instead.

So unless someone provides evidence to the contrary, this is what I'm assuming is the case.

Front Page one shot by Harvey

Strange Stories probably was never published

Plus this book contains a Man in Black story "Death is a Co-Pilot".

I recently finished working on my own reference guide for comics (in-house use only)... now this is not definitive... and I don't recall the exact path of research I went through... but here are the conclusions I have in my notes...

"Strange Story ... probably does not exist... there is a cover page of original art known, but there appears to be no actual comic... probably produced as "Front Page Comics" instead.

So unless someone provides evidence to the contrary, this is what I'm assuming is the case.

Very interesting Tim, thanks very much , interesting that the OSPG has been wrong for so many years - any idea what the contents of Front Page Comics were ?

Very interesting Tim, thanks very much , interesting that the OSPG has been wrong for so many years - any idea what the contents of Front Page Comics were ?

Why don't you go look for yourself? :-)

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=12738

Beyond "The Man in Black" already mentioned, I'm not sure. There are quite a few non-existent issues still in Overstreet.... if I get a chance one of these days, I'll list what I found (or didn't find, as the case may be) in a thread here.

Beyond "The Man in Black" already mentioned, I'm not sure. There are quite a few non-existent issues still in Overstreet.... if I get a chance one of these days, I'll list what I found (or didn't find, as the case may be) in a thread here.

Remember, though, that I think at least some of those are meant to be in there for copyright purposes.

I think at least some of those are meant to be in there for copyright purposes.

Correct, red herrings are sprinkled throughout the Guide.

Another example, Overstreet has Target #6 listed as possibly having the first letters column in comics(?)... but the problem with that is that there is no letters column in Target #6, and even if there was, New Fun #3 still beats it by about 5 years.

Why don't you go look for yourself? :-)

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=12738

Cool, thanks - I never knew about that site...and Nerv, what is that exactly - is it a mock up of some kind ?

You didn't know about the Digital Comic Museum? I'll have a word with the rest of the staff there about our promotional efforts. As for you, we'll see you in a few weeks once you come up for air. :-)