• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Joss Whedon Create The Format For The Funnybook Blockbuster in '92?

5 posts in this topic

I'm watching Season One of "Buffy, The Vampire Slayer" for the first time ever last night (I don't know why I avoided the series in the first place. I liked the '92 movie in theaters), but then I realize... wait a minute, if this '97 series wasn't realized more stylistically and seriously (mythology and modern atmosphere), would Blade have been different (more camp, less supporting characters helping the hero and less mythology/backstory) and possibly not reached a mainstream audience? Did Joss Wheden actually develop the working blueprints of the Modern superhero movie in '92, but wasn't produced correctly until the '97 reboot series? Superhero movies were definitely coming around the millennium, but did Buffy's creator actually lead the charge to assemble a more mature 'look' to make them as successful as they are today?

Maybe Marvel owes Joss a little thanks due to it's success, imho. It's kinda cool, Joss 'assembled" the last funnybook movie in theaters (twenty-three years later after the original "Buffy" movie) that's approaching a billion dollars worldwide.

Thoughts?

Just wait until you get to Season Two. Joss was just kind of feeling his way around in Season One.
I just had no idea, how many things Joss added to the vampire lore. Now, I get all the acclaim it received. Geller comes off as a Marvel superheroine (powerful, strong-willed yet doubtful and flawed). An amazing performance for the first few episodes and is way better than Swanson. I just don't see Blade being made the same way without this effort testing the waters first.

Just wait until you get to Season Two. Joss was just kind of feeling his way around in Season One.
I just had no idea, how many things Joss added to the vampire lore. Now, I get all the acclaim it received. Geller comes off as a Marvel superheroine (powerful, strong-willed yet doubtful and flawed). An amazing performance for the first few episodes and is way better than Swanson. I just don't see Blade being made the same way without this effort testing the waters first.

And Joss was true to the lore he created. All throughout the series there are things that happen that play back into what went on before.

That show really doesn't get the credit it deserves.

+1

The show gets considerably better. Season 2 and 3 are superb. It drops a bit, but it still remains pretty solid.

I even felt like Angel was better at times. Joss Whedon did an outstanding job creating his Buffy Universe and putting out a quality show.