• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Article on Selling Comics

53 posts in this topic

Again, why would an appraiser be forced to buy the items? Their function is to appraise. Not buy books off a bitter ex wife.

Which is why an appraisal is not an indication of market value.

For example, go get a diamond ring appraised and it'll be some outlandish amount. Then see what you can actually sell it for and it's likely to be 10% of that amount.

To answer replies:

To both 1Cool and Joe Collector,

I didn't have a chance to move out the comics. She took them all out of my storage unit while I was in Afghanistan. Then lied to the police saying she didn't have them. It took about 3 months before she admitted to having them and it wasn't until 2011 that they finally became a court asset (possession taken from her). Of course by then the best books were gone like All Star #3, All American 25 etc.

I did have an appraisal done by a store of my choosing. He gave a valuation of both what he would pay and what he though would be a FMV. So all that is covered.

As mentioned her comic store has said he has no interest in the comics at all...also he has mentioned that since 2008 the comic market has crashed and comics aren't worth anything near what they used to.

I've mentioned splitting the comics in half, each side taking half. I've mentioned doing a test sale with a couple boxes to get a baseline for what is there. Folks I've really tried about everything, but unless she agrees there is nothing I can do. She won't agree because she knows what will happen, that is why this is destined for trial. So now I need to get as much info as possible.

Yes, I have approached other stores and collectors. ThirdGreenHam has very kindly offered to help in this regards.

Been to court 11 times now mediation twice and between us 5 different lawyers. Can only split the collection in half if she agrees or the court orders such which cannot be done until a trial.

I am not fighting hard to get the comics back, but since the collection is mine,if she doesn't want them I have to take them or they need to be sold. As mentioned I've suggested selling them many times in court to which she hasn't agreed.

There is a good amount of Silver/Bronze in the collection and a bit of Gold. But there is a lot of modern drek also. That is where her valuation is ridiculous. I have 58 copies of Moon Knight #4 which were valued at full guide. Need I say more.

Again I really don't care about the collection that much but the court deems it is my collection.

I've also suggested we can each take a box at a time or a comic at a time to divide up the collection. Even a large collection would only take a few days to do that and it would be done.

I know you guys mean well saying if it was me I would do this or that, but it's not as easy as you think. The court process is full of rules and procedure which slow everything to a crawl and not really let you do anything. Up until the trial anything that gets done has to be mutually agreed upon. So if she doesn't want to split the comics or sell them then no. And on the other hand judges are told not to send divorces to trial but the make parties work things out. Hence, 11 court appearances and 2 mediation sessions. None of them really getting anywhere. 3 different judges hasn't helped nor the fact that when one seized themselves of the matter and then didn't show up for her own court appearance twice. Yet somehow our justice system allows judges to do that, decide not to preside over cases on a day if they don't want to even though people have had that date booked.

Does anyone own that book that Daven suggested? Would just like to see what page 12 says.

Can anyone think of any other price guide or publication that specifically mentions not getting full guide, particularilly for bulk?

Does anyone own that book that Daven suggested? Would just like to see what page 12 says.

Can anyone think of any other price guide or publication that specifically mentions not getting full guide, particularilly for bulk?

Click on the link in his message, then click on the line in the Table of Contents that says "Page 12". It will take you to that page where you can read it.

TTFITZ: I tried that and it says page is unavailable. It only shows some pages as website has preview of book not full book.

Shad: I've looked in the couple Overstreets I have and couldn't find it, but someone initially suggested to me it was in Overstreet

To answer replies:

To both 1Cool and Joe Collector,

I didn't have a chance to move out the comics. She took them all out of my storage unit while I was in Afghanistan. Then lied to the police saying she didn't have them. It took about 3 months before she admitted to having them and it wasn't until 2011 that they finally became a court asset (possession taken from her). Of course by then the best books were gone like All Star #3, All American 25 etc.

I did have an appraisal done by a store of my choosing. He gave a valuation of both what he would pay and what he though would be a FMV. So all that is covered.

As mentioned her comic store has said he has no interest in the comics at all...also he has mentioned that since 2008 the comic market has crashed and comics aren't worth anything near what they used to.

I've mentioned splitting the comics in half, each side taking half. I've mentioned doing a test sale with a couple boxes to get a baseline for what is there. Folks I've really tried about everything, but unless she agrees there is nothing I can do. She won't agree because she knows what will happen, that is why this is destined for trial. So now I need to get as much info as possible.

Yes, I have approached other stores and collectors. ThirdGreenHam has very kindly offered to help in this regards.

Been to court 11 times now mediation twice and between us 5 different lawyers. Can only split the collection in half if she agrees or the court orders such which cannot be done until a trial.

I am not fighting hard to get the comics back, but since the collection is mine,if she doesn't want them I have to take them or they need to be sold. As mentioned I've suggested selling them many times in court to which she hasn't agreed.

There is a good amount of Silver/Bronze in the collection and a bit of Gold. But there is a lot of modern drek also. That is where her valuation is ridiculous. I have 58 copies of Moon Knight #4 which were valued at full guide. Need I say more.

Again I really don't care about the collection that much but the court deems it is my collection.

I've also suggested we can each take a box at a time or a comic at a time to divide up the collection. Even a large collection would only take a few days to do that and it would be done.

I know you guys mean well saying if it was me I would do this or that, but it's not as easy as you think. The court process is full of rules and procedure which slow everything to a crawl and not really let you do anything. Up until the trial anything that gets done has to be mutually agreed upon. So if she doesn't want to split the comics or sell them then no. And on the other hand judges are told not to send divorces to trial but the make parties work things out. Hence, 11 court appearances and 2 mediation sessions. None of them really getting anywhere. 3 different judges hasn't helped nor the fact that when one seized themselves of the matter and then didn't show up for her own court appearance twice. Yet somehow our justice system allows judges to do that, decide not to preside over cases on a day if they don't want to even though people have had that date booked.

Man - I totally feel for you and although my hell only lasted 2 years I can definitely relate. For people that have not seem how ineffective the court system is - what he is saying is no joke. Judges (magistrates) are mandated to keep things moving forward but they also do not want to make any decisions but instead keep pushing both parties to decide themselves. This works out for 90% of people that have two sane parties but the system grinds to a halt when one person is dragging their feet.

Keep pushing for the courts to do their job but also try to keep your life going while this chaos is taking place. Don't let your ex steal anymore time other then the court dates and let your lawyers do their work. I went thru 3 lawyers myself because most of them have no vested interest in moving thing forward but it definitely helps when you find the right one. Send me a PM if you want to talk.

comicnut, I feel your pain and frustration of that mess you have there. Hard to believe that it could took that long with the courts and judges!

After reading the update, wouldn't it be meaning as in who is paying the expenses after all is said and done in the court? You said had gone through 5 lawyers ... 3 judges etc? That makes me wonder what the final total would be - less or more that what your collection in value? :eek:

I do hope you end up as rightful owner of the collection. Then the other side being the losing party would have to pay up.

comicnut, I feel your pain and frustration of that mess you have there. Hard to believe that it could took that long with the courts and judges!

After reading the update, wouldn't it be meaning as in who is paying the expenses after all is said and done in the court? You said had gone through 5 lawyers ... 3 judges etc? That makes me wonder what the final total would be - less or more that what your collection in value? :eek:

I do hope you end up as rightful owner of the collection. Then the other side being the losing party would have to pay up.

Sounds like you have not been thru a divorce. All losers in that game. If he wins back his collection then he will have to pay his ex half the value of the collection. If they are valuing his collection at $50,000 then he would have to pony up $25,000 in cash or assets. I spent $18,000 in my court battle which was 2 years long so I can only imagine what a 6 year battle would cost. Know you are not alone man.

Sounds like you have not been thru a divorce. All losers in that game. If he wins back his collection then he will have to pay his ex half the value of the collection. If they are valuing his collection at $50,000 then he would have to pony up $25,000 in cash or assets. I spent $18,000 in my court battle which was 2 years long so I can only imagine what a 6 year battle would cost. Know you are not alone man.

Yes, you got that right. I have never been thru a divorce is because I never marry ...yet! A divorce is one of the reasons I don't want have that happen on me. Well, my parents had gone divorced years ago so that was an unpleasant experience for me as a child.

Still... all losers in that game? That sucks to pay no matter which sides! :P

Thanks again for the comments sympathies :)

Yep lawyers have cost about $55K so far, less than the market value of the collection but the 55K is less than the amount of money she was asking to settle out of court. When you inflate an asset like the comic collection to 180K it skews the Net Financial Property number so it makes it look like I should owe her a lot of money.

Thanks a ton for posting that Eric :)

Ends up not being the article I was thinking of though so still searching if anyone else has any ideas on where it says that you are going to get pennies on the dollar for bulk common books.

In my case if the collection is valued at 50K I wouldn't have to pony up anything actually. She kept everything including house so I have enough deductions that at 50K she would owe me money. Hence the reason why she is fighting so hard to have this unrealistic valuation.

My suggestion for those reading this and not married yet is do a full inventory before you get married, something else that is complicating matters.

Ends up not being the article I was thinking of though so still searching if anyone else has any ideas on where it says that you are going to get pennies on the dollar for bulk common books.

My suggestion for those reading this and not married yet is do a full inventory before you get married, something else that is complicating matters.

:sorry: if you find it and can't get a hold of it I am sure I can find a way to get you the readings of it.

Oh now you tell me that. Couldn't have told me this a couple of months ago. I guess I should tell Tracy to start logging my books but not tell her why lol

Thanks again for the comments sympathies :)

Yep lawyers have cost about $55K so far, less than the market value of the collection but the 55K is less than the amount of money she was asking to settle out of court. When you inflate an asset like the comic collection to 180K it skews the Net Financial Property number so it makes it look like I should owe her a lot of money.

In my case if the collection is valued at 50K I wouldn't have to pony up anything actually. She kept everything including house so I have enough deductions that at 50K she would owe me money. Hence the reason why she is fighting so hard to have this unrealistic valuation.

Just for others reading this that are thinking about divorce - if you could go back in time and settle and give her $50k (example price) would you have? Fighting for what is fair sounds so good in the beginning but after 6 years and 55K I'd think it makes more sense to just give the biatch what she asks (within reason) and move on since it only benefits the lawyers when fights go into the courtroom.

:sorry: if you find it and can't get a hold of it I am sure I can find a way to get you the readings of it.

Oh now you tell me that. Couldn't have told me this a couple of months ago. I guess I should tell Tracy to start logging my books but not tell her why lol

You two will be fine, you have a great lady there my friend.

Page 12 and 13 Chris.

:applause:

Which edition?

The one that was initially linked on the second or 3rd post.

Yep. 2nd post, 10th ed., w/ eBay link to one for under $5 shipped.

10th edition. Thanks!