• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Article on Selling Comics

53 posts in this topic

Does anyone remember an article on how to sell your comics in the price guide? Or was it in the grading guide?

Been trying to search online but not having any luck. Looked through a few of my price guides but don't seem to see it either.

My usual story here. Still going through my divorce (6 years later) to get my original comic collection back. The other party being as unreasonable as they are decided to value the comics at full book value even though with regards to a divorce the precedent has been set using case law that is must be market value.

As I recall this article had said something around you can't expect full guide. Any other articles that anyone can remember dated preferably around 2007-2009 would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

Why dont u tell her that if she thinks they r worth that much, she canhave them!

I u get other assts instead, then u can rebuy what u want at half price or less

Better still , she is forced to to cre for and sell them. She will like.y only get 1/4 of book value

Why dont u tell her that if she thinks they r worth that much, she canhave them!

I u get other assts instead, then u can rebuy what u want at half price or less

Better still , she is forced to to cre for and sell them. She will like.y only get 1/4 of book value

:banana:

because she can just say she doesn't want them... because she knows they aren't worth that much. Problem is that she had a comic book store appraise them this way.

I offered them at half value and she said no and so did her comic store. I even offered them all at 1/4 guide and they said same.

Already been there in court and addressed that :)

Thanks Davenport, will check that out.

because she can just say she doesn't want them... because she knows they aren't worth that much. Problem is that she had a comic book store appraise them this way.

I offered them at half value and she said no and so did her comic store. I even offered them all at 1/4 guide and they said same.

That really sucks man. One of the first things that I moved out was my comic book collection since I knew she would hold them against me. It sounds like she currently has possession of the books so maybe you can request to have the books so you can get your own appraisal done. In Ohio the books would be treated as a marital asset so she would get 1/2 of the value of the books if you wanted to get them in the settlement but it sounds like she is holding you over the fire in how much she will get for her half. Maybe suggest to your lawyer and the judge that the two of you split the collection in half so that there will be no value assigned to the asset. I've seen pictures of couple doing a lottery pick system in the court house over collectibles. Hope you get some closure soon. I know I've been sleeping lot better since my divorce and child custody hearings have been finished.

Bring the comic book store in on it on the legal end - they appraised at that value so they buy them for that value. If not - make them submit a legally binding offer for the books.

Bring the comic book store in on it on the legal end - they appraised at that value so they buy them for that value. If not - make them submit a legally binding offer for the books.

why would a 3rd party be forced to buy the books?

if the person putting the value on the collection wou, d not pay even 25% of the BOOK value then that is

NOT an Appraisal, it ks a lie in the sky pipe dream.

Any court will use fair market value, which is defined as what a Willing buyer and a willing seller would agree on as a price.

She cant just say they are worth say 100k, and u must tKe them zt that value.

Do You have an attorney?

Do you have a mediator?

Can u split the collection in half?

You went to court and said you wanted your books and they said you needed an appraisal of the books to assess a value of the books? Your ex got an appraisal which was full guide price? I may be wrong but it appears you may be fighting too hard to get back (keep) your collection but I can understand why you would have a connection to them (you said they were your original collection). I'd submit your official appraisal of the books and let the judge rule on who gets the books since neither one of you want the books at full price. Sometimes its better to just let the courts decide on some of these things rather then trying to find a solution yourself.

I'd think an appraisal from a comic shop is a valid method in the eyes of the court and I'm sure the comic shop is doing what their client (ex-wife) is asking. An appraisal should be based in fact but its not necessarily what that particular shop would offer but what they think is a valid price in the market as a whole. I think your recourse is to get your own appraisal which would be seen by the courts as being just as valid as her appraisal and then its up to the judge to decide which one they think makes more sense. I would however think an article in the Overstreet Price Guide is not a good court document. A statement from a comic shop in your area which states they typically only get 1/3 guide for most books would go a lot further then a opinion in a price guide. Good luck man!

if the person putting the value on the collection wou, d not pay even 25% of the BOOK value then that is

Any court will use fair market value, which is defined as what a Willing buyer and a willing seller would agree on as a price.

Do You have an attorney?

Do you have a mediator?

After reading this thread here... I got to wonder in question regarding your situation.

What kind of comics you have in your collection? All moderns? Some BA/CA mixed? All dreks? That should tell you whatever it is worth your energy in getting your collection off her hands.

If the comic store had done their work on these books. It is their word against yours. Do you have someone (a comic book dealer), in respect of your brief, to do own inspection on the values and use that presented to the judge? Only the judge can determine which side has the right to take the collection in entire. Anyone can lie, you know.

If I were in this situation, I'd be inclined to send out a list of what I have, and get three or four dealers to make offers in writing... Maybe some of the big guys like Dolgoff, Sulipa, MCS, etc. who might make an offer on the whole thing.

That way, it's not a single offer, but could give a a judge or mediator a sense of fmv. This approach will likely minimize the dollar value by focusing on the whole collection, rather than the cherry picking of key books, or the assessment of Drek at OPG or full cover price.

Using a few nationally recognized dealers also eliminates the potential accusations of a weak local market, or "insider" misrepresentations or under-valuing because of a small, tight-knit local collecting community.

If I were in this situation, I'd be inclined to send out a list of what I have, and get three or four dealers to make offers in writing... Maybe some of the big guys like Dolgoff, Sulipa, MCS, etc. who might make an offer on the whole thing.

That way, it's not a single offer, but could give a a judge or mediator a sense of fmv. This approach will likely minimize the dollar value by focusing on the whole collection, rather than the cherry picking of key books, or the assessment of Drek at OPG or full cover price.

Using a few nationally recognized dealers also eliminates the potential accusations of a weak local market, or "insider" misrepresentations or under-valuing because of a small, tight-knit local collecting community.

May not work based on Comicnut's collecting style. They would probably all come back with a quote for him to pay them to take away his books. :baiting:

May not work based on Comicnut's collecting style. They would probably all come back with a quote for him to pay them to take away his books. :baiting:

Which might work well for the current purpose...

What an aggravation. Can't believe your dispute has lasted six years. Hopefully you won't have to resort to this:

o-BEANIE-BABIES-570_zpsvvweiddo.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/06/divorced-couple-goes-to-court-over-beanie-babies_n_6631598.html

Nov 5, 1999, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA: Attorney Frank Totti looks over papers while his client Frances Mountain sorts out Beanie Babies with her ex-husband Harold Mountain in Judge Gerald Hardcastle's Family Courtroom in Las Vegas November 5. The couple, who were divorced four months ago, were ordered to divide up the collection valued at $2,500 to $5000 but were unable to do so by themselves. The collection was ordered spread on the court floor and divided up one by one under the supervision of Family Court Judge Hardcastle.

Maple the Bear was the first to go.

What an aggravation. Can't believe your dispute has lasted six years. Hopefully you won't have to resort to this:

o-BEANIE-BABIES-570_zpsvvweiddo.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/06/divorced-couple-goes-to-court-over-beanie-babies_n_6631598.html

I think that's EXACTLY what I would resort to if it were me. Force her hand. Do whatever it took to bring things to a conclusion. Force her azz back into court and have her start picking. One for you, one for me...

Books can be replaced vs six years you can never get back? Should a no-brainer imho. Time to wrap it up, whatever it takes, and move on. Adios vindictive Ex, adios books, whatever it took to put her in the rearview.

Do You have an attorney?

Do you have a mediator?

Again, why would an appraiser be forced to buy the items? Their function is to appraise. Not buy books off a bitter ex wife.

But an appraisal is not market value, it's mainly for insurance purposes in case of immediate replacement.

Market value, used for taxation, income and other valuation purposes, is what the items can reasonably and easily be expected to sell for on the open market.

In this case, a series of firm offers from comic book dealers would satisfy the last one. But it sounds like a case of "butthurt spouse" at work here, so obviously she's going to be an insane biotch about the whole situation.

And how she came to be in full possession of these comics is beyond me.