• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

A small collection of leaflet (8 pages) called "Collection Le Fantôme" published many super-heros story including Centaur Story in 1946.

I post only Cover relating to Centaur Characters (but in fact some other issues published Centaur Story but with cover of Fox or DC characters confused.gif

En-croy-able!!!

Please don't let the lack of a Centaur cover stop you from posting the rest. Utterly fantastic to see these uncommon items.

Loeilvengeur.jpg

Even "L'oeil" -- wow. Great stuff!

As you can see, some are reprint of existing Centaur cover (the firts). Some are new one (Le Fantôme à l'exposition) by french artists and some are refurbishing of existing one from Centaur or others american publishers (the last is an update of Adventures Comics # 39).

Thanks and welcome!

Jack

Oralavilledore.jpg

Holy smokes! These are awesome! While I recognize many of those scenes (either from covers or interior panels), there are others that aren't ringing a bell with me at all, and could well have been newly created drawings.

Seriously, that's just mega-cool. If you'd ever like some extra Euros, I'll happily take those off your hands!

I especially love the final picture. As you mention, it's obviously Adventure #39 with the Masked Marvel's face drawn in:

adventure39.jpg

maskedmarvel2.jpg

I love the ingenuity. Does the interior story correlate with this hybrid picture?

Oralavilledore.jpg

[...]

I love the ingenuity. Does the interior story correlate with this hybrid picture?

I think (but I'm not sure) it is the translation of the story published in Keen Detective Funnies n° 18.

The plot is an explorer (Dr Lincoln) go to find a golden city. An old employee (Kirk Jasper) of him is a crook and follow him. He help him at a moment and the explorer to find the city.

When he try to kill him the masked marvel shoot the crook from the top of a mountain (he fly with a gadget plane through stratosphere with trouble).

[...]En-croy-able!!!

Please don't let the lack of a Centaur cover stop you from posting the rest. Utterly fantastic to see these uncommon items.

[...]Thanks and welcome!

Jack

Thank you.

For your pleasure

LafindeTiconda.jpg

Lefantme.jpg

LefantmeDLn104.jpg

Lhommedacier.jpg

All theses leaflets contain Centaur Story. The both name "Le Fantôme" are clearly cover from Fox characters (Quicksilver & The Flame).

The Flame was published in France in newspaper for young readers.

The last is a cover from Starman of DC of course.

Edited by jmf

[...]Seriously, that's just mega-cool. If you'd ever like some extra Euros, I'll happily take those off your hands![...]

If you are really interested I'm one of the shareholders of one of the bigest second hand collector comic shops in Paris.

You could write by e-mail to see if they are any in stock.

Dans la Gueule du Loup

Edited by jmf

For your pleasure

Lhommedacier.jpg

All theses leaflets contain Centaur Story. The both name "Le Fantôme" are clearly cover from Fox characters (Quicksilver & The Flame).

The Flame was published in France in newspaper for young readers.

The last is a cover from Starman of DC of course.

Wonderful!

I'm confused though. Acier is steel, right?

Whom are they calling the Man of Steel? Starman? Masked Marvel (on a different cover)? Another character not shown on the covers (Superman himself maybe)?

Thanks,

Jack

Batman looks good in red

[...] Lhommedacier.jpg [...]

Wonderful!

Whom are they calling the Man of Steel? Starman? Masked Marvel (on a different cover)? Another character not shown on the covers (Superman himself maybe)?

Thanks,

Jack

Batman looks good in red

You are right, Acier is steel. In fact the story inside is the translation of Keen Detective Funnies V. 2 # 12 with Masked Marvel and L'homme d'acier is Masked Marvel.

You are right, Acier is steel. In fact the story inside is the translation of Keen Detective Funnies V. 2 # 12 with Masked Marvel and L'homme d'acier is Masked Marvel.

It's always interesting to see how a character's name is translated into another language.

Thanks,

Jack

not a bald mouse

Greetings jmf,

I'll add my welcome to the boards!!

I'm coming in late on this, but wanted to say, as a huge Centaur fan, these are beautiful examples of rare foreign golden age!! Never knew these existed. I especially love the "L'oeil" cover... as well as that "red batman" cover. The fact that they are re-drawn and re-interpreted for a French audience only adds to the charm. Some of the titles and typestyles are graphically amazing.

I am very interested in purchasing some of these if you ever come across any extras... I will private message you regarding this.

Thanks for sharing these rarities, jmf!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for the great and cool scans.

What's funny to me is the inability to translate Sandman and hence, if I understand correctly, we get Le Vengeur with a "subtitle": L'homme au sable as a more literal translation. And then on another, we have only L'homme au sable, despite the fact that that name must have had readers scratching their heads as to what he could do! Not that the concept of a Sandman in unknown in French tradition but certainly less prevalent than in the US.

If you do have scans about sui generis French superheroes, could you please post them here or in a separate thread. I know there will be interest in seeing those as well.

And finally, je voudrais te souhaiter la bienvenue sur ces forums. thumbsup2.gif

Hello,

I'm new on this thread and I want to introduce myself.

First, I want to apologize about my english level. I'm french and english is a non native language for me. So excuse me by advance about mystake.

I read all the thread and I'm very happy about it. I think I'm one of the few french collector knowing much about Centaur (I made extensive research on the web).

Hi jmf,

Your posts are some of the best I've seen here all year. Wonderful stuff! (And your English is just fine, no need to worry.)

Do you yourself collect the French versions of these early comics, or the English versions, or both? Are the French versions of the ones you showed us extremely scarce (i.e. very few copies still exist of each), or are they easy enough to locate with some effort?

Welcome to the boards. Hope you stick around! 893applaud-thumb.gif

[...]

Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

Thank you and many thanks for the explanation hi.gif

You're welcome

You returned the favor with posting your centaurs and providing us background on a part of comics history that I was not aware of!