• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Finally, I can cross this Keen Detective Funnies off my want list! Not as nice as the pedigrees shown in this thread, but as a completionist that doesn't bother me too much.

keendetective20.jpg

Only a couple of very early KDF issues left and I'm done with the whole run.

I know how important that book was/is to you, Win - very hearty congratulations 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

Thanks, but honestly, I wasn't too worried about getting one of those eventually. They certainly exist; it was just a matter of finding one available or paying the price to pry one out of a collection.

Much more significant to me, actually, is my recent pick-up of Little Giant #2, a book I'd never seen before. When I'm down to my final handful of Centaurs, it'll be books like this that are the major stumbling blocks.

littlegiantcomics2.jpg

Thanks, but honestly, I wasn't too worried about getting one of those eventually. They certainly exist; it was just a matter of finding one available or paying the price to pry one out of a collection.

Much more significant to me, actually, is my recent pick-up of Little Giant #2, a book I'd never seen before. When I'm down to my final handful of Centaurs, it'll be books like this that are the major stumbling blocks.

littlegiantcomics2.jpg

Congratulations Win!! I have never seen that book before. How close are you now to closing out the publisher?

littlegiantcomics2.jpg

Congratulations Win!! I have never seen that book before. How close are you now to closing out the publisher?

Off the top of my head (still out of town for Thanksgiving), I'd say I have around 15% more to go, say 40 out of 290. It's getting tougher for sure.

littlegiantcomics2.jpg

Off the top of my head (still out of town for Thanksgiving), I'd say I have around 15% more to go, say 40 out of 290. It's getting tougher for sure.

That is amazing! I can't wait to see each and every one of them one day.

cloud9.gif

Hey CM, you should send me a list of issues you need ... i'm sure you have better access to Centaurs than myself, but since I am always on the prowl, I may stumble upon a book you need. Never know! I would love to help with this noble cause.

Here's a very cool back page ad from FUNNY PAGES 3/9, a house ad signed by Bill Everett! There is something oddly appealing about this ad, maybe its the crazy lettering at the top, or just the use of black!

Can't wait to able to read the complete Everett A-MAN run ! I am a month or two away from buying the last issue I need (#5 (#1)).

1503450-amanadPOST.jpg

1503450-amanadPOST.jpg.feae7409c8452deac941e3696835aa79.jpg

Edited by RyanH

Dear Fellow Collectors,

Are you all aware of the Grand Comic Book Database? (www.comics.org). I just noted that the site is currently down for some reason, but it should be up again by tomorrow morning. We are trying to index and post covers for all comics (worldwide). We have posted 77.1% of the 253 Centaur (and precursor) books. Here are the 58 we are missing or need upgrades to. We need high quality scans, with no space around the borders. You can post them yourself or I can post them for you if you want to send them to me. Let me know if you want me to credit your for your scan. In general the scans should be jpg’s, about 1.25 to 2 MB in size. I hope some of you can help us fill in the missing covers and/or indexes.

Thanks!

Dan_Stevenson@sparta.com

COMICS MAGAZINE/ULTEM/CENTAUR PUBLICATIONS

(05/1936 to 04/1942)

AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES 2/2(2/39), 23(8/40) (upgrades)

ARROW 2(11/40) (upgrade)

COMIC PAGES 3/4(7/39), 3/6(12/39)

COMICS MAGAZINE, THE 3(7/36)

COWBOY COMICS 13(7/38)-14(8/38)

DETECTIVE PICTURE STORIES 2(1/37), 3(2/37), 4(3/37)

FANTOMAN 2(8/40)

FEATURE FUNNIES 2(11/37), 4(1/38), 5(2/38), 6(3/38),

8(5/38), 9(6/38), 10(7/38), 11(8/38), 12(9/38),

14(11/38), 15(12/38), 16(1/39)

FUNNY PAGES 1/8[8](2/37), 1/9[9](3/37), 3/3[26](4/39),

3/4(6/39), 3/5(7/39), 3/6[29](8/39)

FUNNY PICTURE STORIES 1/3[3](1/37), 2/5[12](1/38),

2/9[18](7/38), 2/11[20](11/38)

KEEN KOMICS 2/1(5/39) (upgrade)

KEEN DETECTIVE FUNNIES 2/1(1/39), 2/12(12/39), 19(3/40),

20(5/40), 22(7/40) (all upgrades except for #22)

LITTLE GIANT COMICS 1(7/38), 3(10/39) (#1 is upgrade)

LITTLE GIANT MOVIE FUNNIES 1(10/38) (upgrade)

STAR COMICS 1/1[1](2/37), 1/2[2](4/37), 1/4[4](6/37),

1/5(7-8/37), 1/6[6](9/37), 2/2[18](3/39),

2/6[22](7/39)

STAR RANGER 1/5(7-8/37), 1/6(9/37), 2/12(5/38)

STAR RANGER FUNNIES 2/2(4/39), 2/3(6/39), 2/4(8/39)

WORLD FAMOUS HEROES MAGAZINE 4(4/42)

Need 58 out of 253 issues, 22.9%.

Leucadian,

You should PM JBComicbox (Jon Berk). He has a complete run of Centaur's. He contributed most, if not all, the scans for Gerber's Marvel Comics Photjournal. Great guy! thumbsup2.gif

It now comes first circle. This is how I met Ernie Gerber in the first place...."See, there is this guy, who has alot of Centaurs..." ..Ernie came to my house. And for the Marvel book, he was there for two weeks. It wound up being an excuse to rebag my entire Marvel collection- can you spell P-A-I-N?

Problem is....for that size and quality, it would take me forever, even if my computer (which still uses hamsters for power) could transfer that large a file.

By the way, including Feature Funnies as pre-Centaurs is interesting (and yes i have many of this title except for a couple).... Chesler edited the first several issues, but that was it and Quality and Everett Arnold took over and started using Eisner.....It was a mix of reprints and some original stuff until then.....jon

If I remember correctly someone already appropriated my scan of the Amaz Mys Funnies 21 -- I can't verify because I haven't been able to get in.

Dan: Why the big size? Are you looking for 300dpi -- because that's abou the only way I can make a jpeg that big?

Time to revive this thread again...

Here are two I got this week ... the FUNNY PAGES 36 has a wicked spine roll, but has beautiful pages, and presents well overall! I'm really happy with it. Tough one to get. (thanks, CM, for stepping aside to let me obtain this one!! 893applaud-thumb.gif )

The AMAZING MAN #9 isn't quite as pretty, but also has really nice page quality. Unfortunately the inside spine is taped, but its still a pretty solid book. I am now only one issue away from completing my Everett AMAN run, a goal I have had since reading Jon Berk's article on AMAN in the Comicbook Marketplace mag about 8 years ago! (#47, april 1997 to be exact ... still have the issue!)

GREAT art in both of them!!!

I have some other Centaurs on the way, both of them tough books (what Centaur isn't?), so I'll be back in the next month or so madly posting!!

1512692-funnypages36POST.jpg

1512692-funnypages36POST.jpg.c325f97e8ca0eff32d946f29d423f82f.jpg

Edited by RyanH

Here is the AMAN #9 ...

Reminds me that I used to own the Chruch copy - just haven't been able to find a suitable replacement (A-Man 9 is a very tough book).

I love the Funny Pages 36, too (I am proud to own the RareHighGrade copy!!).

What's the last A-Man you need, Ryan?

STEVE

Here is the AMAN #9 ...

Reminds me that I used to own the Chruch copy - just haven't been able to find a suitable replacement (A-Man 9 is a very tough book).

I love the Funny Pages 36, too (I am proud to own the RareHighGrade copy!!).

What's the last A-Man you need, Ryan?

STEVE

The last AMAN i need is the first issue, or #5 as its known ... I have actually secured it at Pedigree Comics, Doug is being very generous letting me pay it off over time. So, in theory I have it locked down, but don't own it!

When it does come in, I'm taking the phone off the hook, and reading all the Everett AMAN stories straight through!

Congrats!! Ryan!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif Both books look great. I have a AMan # 9 also but mine has tape on the spine "Phooey" but complete though . Definately a hard book to find in any grade as Centaurman pointed out.Your Funny Pages looks great; spine roll or not , like you said , it presents real nice. headbang.gif

My Wife "Santa " just bought me 2 Amazing Mystery Funnies for Christmas , can't post them untill then ... She says I have to wait till Christmas to get them smile.gif. It will be worth the wait. cloud9.gif What a great Wife, She understands my Passion for Comics . 24 years of Marriage & I'm Blessed.

Congrats!! Ryan!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif Both books look great. I have a AMan # 9 also but mine has tape on the spine "Phooey" but complete though . Definately a hard book to find in any grade as Centaurman pointed out.Your Funny Pages looks great; spine roll or not , like you said , it presents real nice. headbang.gif

My Wife "Santa " just bought me 2 Amazing Mystery Funnies for Christmas , can't post them untill then ... She says I have to wait till Christmas to get them smile.gif. It will be worth the wait. cloud9.gif What a great Wife, She understands my Passion for Comics . 24 years of Marriage & I'm Blessed.

My #7 has a taped spine as well (on the inside)... maybe Centaur's were prone to cover splits? Like CentaurMan said, the #5 is usually in rough shape, or restored. The copy I secured is the former, but it still has pretty nice eye appeal (from what I can see from the scans). Maybe kids who bought AMAN really "loved" these books!! But I'm just happy to have decent readable copies.

What an amazing Santa, PH!!! How does Santa know where to find these rare books??? 27_laughing.gif

Maybe I should write Santa a letter... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif