• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WYNTK (what you need to know) forum -- do we need one on the CGC side?

7 posts in this topic

While doing a bit of lurking in the coin section this morning I noticed that they have a WYNTK section that was really useful. It contains a series of great how-to guides and threads that detail and link specific information on the hobby. Arch thought it important enough to advertise it to make sure the coinees knew about it.

It seems to me that many of the stickied threads in CG and elsewhere (i.e. How to pack books for shipping, etc) would fit well in such an area. They also have threads on topics like what to do with an inherited collection, how to use and read a price guide, where to find resources for grading, and others that could be really helpful for people unfamiliar with comics; and such threads would be easily discovered with a Google search if they were archived in an area like that. Narrower threads discuss various types of coins, and I can easily see similar threads to talk about important aspects of the various ages or titles that would not be readily apparent to novice collectors.

I thought it was a really useful resource for the coin folks, and think we could use one here. It would make the site more useful to novice collectors or people who know nothing about comics, and would provide easy one stop shopping for that information in a friendly atmosphere. As few of you probably get there on a regular basis, I thought I'd share my discovery.

Isn't it called the Noob guide here?

I think that is the spirit of the Noob guide, but with a single thread it is very difficult to search and has become awfully unwieldy. If you look at the WYNTK thread they have nice titles like "What to do if you inherited a coin collection" that would pop right up on a Google search and streamline access to the information. That is difficult to do with a single thread, and if someone like my wife was trying to find information on how to handle my comic collection after my untimely passing a title like "Noob guide" is not likely to catch her eye.

While doing a bit of lurking in the coin section this morning I noticed that they have a WYNTK section that was really useful. It contains a series of great how-to guides and threads that detail and link specific information on the hobby. Arch thought it important enough to advertise it to make sure the coinees knew about it.

It seems to me that many of the stickied threads in CG and elsewhere (i.e. How to pack books for shipping, etc) would fit well in such an area. They also have threads on topics like what to do with an inherited collection, how to use and read a price guide, where to find resources for grading, and others that could be really helpful for people unfamiliar with comics; and such threads would be easily discovered with a Google search if they were archived in an area like that. Narrower threads discuss various types of coins, and I can easily see similar threads to talk about important aspects of the various ages or titles that would not be readily apparent to novice collectors.

I thought it was a really useful resource for the coin folks, and think we could use one here. It would make the site more useful to novice collectors or people who know nothing about comics, and would provide easy one stop shopping for that information in a friendly atmosphere. As few of you probably get there on a regular basis, I thought I'd share my discovery.

isn't this admission strike worthy?

isn't this admission strike worthy?

lol Now that you mention it it may be. :fear:

and if someone like my wife was trying to find information on how to handle my comic collection after my untimely passing a title like "Noob guide" is not likely to catch her eye.

I would think that an instance like this could easily be avoided with detailed instructions provided beforehand.

As for the WYNTK good luck with that. I know plenty of people have an issue with new threads/forums being created around here so I'll let those people chime in eventually