• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Books or Graphic Novels, Need for more drama on the boards!

4 posts in this topic

I got this from

Newsarama. It is also here .

IMO, It is where comics are headed, with DC following Dark Horse, (marvel trying poorly to copy them, and killing the modern back issue market), in releasing collected story arcs. Graphic Novel sales have been increasing for the last few years, while new comic sales are going down. Isn't it cheaper to buy the GN? Tell me I'm wrong.

The conversion to GNs and fiction being released as new work will have a negetive impact on poorly or marginally run LCSs, as the GNs are released to the mass market stores. Anyone for 1"-2" thick CGC slabs!

Opinions, comments, DRAMA!

from newsarama:

According to a memo making the rounds at DC, and leaked to various press outlets, Stephanie Fierman, DC’s recent hire as Senior VP Sales and Marketing has already made her presence felt, and has announced a reorganization of DC Sales and Marketing staff.

According to the memo, Bob Wayne will now manage DC publishing sales both in direct and bookstore markets, with Rich Johnson, who handles the bookstore market will report directly to Wayne, while Wayne will report to Fierman.

The memo also announced that DC will establish a separate Marketing unit, and a search for a VP, Marketing, is currently underway. Until the position is filled, all marketing a publicity will report directly to Fierman. Marketing groups, which previously supported the direct market, will now handle both the bookstore and direct market channels.

In the memo Fierman spoke in about the importance of graphic novels to the company’s business, and to that end, making sure the bookstore market has sufficient support makes sense .

According to sources speaking to Newsarama on terms of anonymity, the breadth of the change was relatively unexpected, and is causing some fairly major shifts in workloads and office alignments. The changes are seen by many as a harbinger of things to come throughout DC, company-wide.

If graphic novels are the same thing as "trade paperbacks", then yep, that's where comics are headed. It'll be interesting to see who starts dropping standard-sized comics in favor of trade paperbacks first--will it be DC or Marvel?

The timing on this is tough to predict without knowing the profit margins DC and Marvel are looking at right now on standard comics.

I think it's a smart move and in itself doesn't really bode ill for monthlies. Just a reorg to bolster and support the TPBs. People can't hide from the fact that TPBs/GNs are becoming an ever bigger slice of the comics market. Not spending all resources to fully exploit this revenue stream is stupid from a business standpoint...

Jim

thumbsup2.gif

I have recently stopped buying comic books on a weekly basis. I enjoy reading a full story at one sitting - be it graphic novels or trades. I'll wait for the trade. Cheaper, less storage, and I love hard backs. I do feel bad for my LCS, but Mile High, Amazon, etc. give big discounts on newly released hardbacks.

The favorite part of my collection is my hard back graphic novels and trades. Slabs for investment. Graphic novels and trades for enjoyment - don't think I would ever slab them.

No mylar, no backing boards, no poly bags, no long boxes....yeah.

contract1.jpg

contract2.jpg